Cold Remedy For Breastfeeding Mama. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, girls! I am kind of new to homeopathic remedies etc. Not so much for myself but for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. I have a client who just emailed me and was wondering what she should take to get rid of her cold that is safe for the baby because she is breastfeeding. I always take vitamin C but I am not sure how much she should take. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#2 of 6 Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? I am pretty sure a higher dose of vitamin c would be ok since any extra vitamin c in your system gets expelled but I want to make sure before I tell her.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#3 of 6 Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 PM

When I was pg and/or bf, I used to go get Chinese food if I felt a cold coming on. Egg rolls with hot mustard or hot and sour soup to clear out my sinuses, and then something with lots of ginger and garlic for my main course. Always helped me feel better and get cleared out. Granted, this isn't a low-cal remedy. lol

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#4 of 6 Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 PM

I make a warm drink of 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (organic, UNPASTEURIZED), honey and warm water. The vinegar helps restore a healthy pH balance that makes it hard for germies to multiply.
#5 of 6 Old 12-17-2007, 10:35 PM

Any truly "homeopathic" remedy is perfectly safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding, as well as for infants. But not all "natural" cures are actually homeopathic. Specifically, vitamins and herbs are not homeopathic. Personally I'm a lot more cautious with what a pregnant mom takes. Once the baby is out, I think any reasonable cold treatment is ok.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#6 of 6 Old 12-17-2007, 11:35 PM

Echinacea with golden seal works for me. Golden seal isnt good in pregnancy cause it can cause contractions - but fine for breastfeeding. Vitamin C is fine and you cant OD on it. Mostly though I would promote lots of clear fluids and sleep. Anything homeopathic would be fine also.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page