childbirth educators... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-07-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are there any here? i was wondering which certification programs others have gone through. i'm thinking about doing the alace program and was wondering what other peoples experiences have been. i don't know if we can speak specifically about an organization on this forum or not, so please pm with any experiences!

look forward to hearing!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 AM

I am soon to be certified with Birth Works. I LOVE the philosophies of the organization and can't wait to be the first to offer the classes in my area!
#3 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 02:25 AM

I am not one as of yet. I am studying through Childbirth International (CBI). I took the combined course through them (Doula/CBE combined). I am almost finished the Doula part (just need my certifying births) and I LOVE it.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#4 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 AM

I am certified through CAPPA.

Eventually I want to go through CBIs dual certification course.
#5 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CBI. I"m certified for CBE and need one more birth for doula. It's a great program. I like that you can use their lesson plans or modify them or make your own. Teaches how to build your own depending on the types of class. I'm going over those materials now as I'm writing up a 1-day 4hr crash course.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#6 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 09:50 AM

If I had it to do over I'd probably do ALACE. I certified originally with Bradley, and now I teach a class I created with 2 other teachers. I did the ALACE labor assistant workshop and I'm a big fan of their philosophies. I like ALACE's flexibility as well.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#7 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have just started CBI's dual certification course for CBE/doula. Haven't had as much time as I would like to work on it yet, but so far so good! s
#8 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 PM

I'm working on my CBE through CAPPA. I wish that I had skipped them, though, and gone straight to Birthing From Within. I eventually want to certify with them, too. I also plan to certify with Happiest Baby on the Block.

good luck!
#9 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM

I'm certified with Bradley (AAHCC). I like it because I feel like they are the most comprehensive classes out there and the training was rigorous.
#10 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all of the responses! i was also wondering about the cost of these classes. i noticed that the alace program is nearly $800 and it's a home study program. it's about twice the cost of the doula certification. i was kind of surprised, but i guess you can make that money back pretty quickly. any thoughts on this???
#11 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 PM

I am certified through CAPPA and ICEA. I did CAPPA first several years ago, and have to say that I really enjoyed my ICEA training much more. It was much more informative, fun, and I felt like I learned a lot.
#12 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 AM

I'm going through ALACE. I have been working on it for almost a year now and it has been alot of work. Lots of reading in the manual (which is 3 inches thick) and tons of other required reading. The program is VERY thorough. I am working on the exam currently and it is extensive as well. You will learn so much. It is nice that there is not a time limitation on the manual work (there is one for the exam though). It does tend to be much more expensive than doula programs and other CBE programs as well. I don't know quite why, but I am not disappointed with the program. Personally, I think the ALACE CBE program is much more detailed and requires much more work to certify than the other programs out there.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page