"The Business of Being Born" ???!!!??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has this been discussed already? How did I miss this?

Reuters Review via Yahoo News

I didn't know that Ricki Lake was so involved in natural birth advocacy... although I did like her when I was younger because she seemed like a real person.

This seems really huge! I aspire to be a m/w someday and would really like to do direct entry CPM and not CNM... but in my state the CPM certification is not recognized and you can be ordered to C&D from practice... I have been thinking about getting involved in the effort to get the certification recognized... this seems like it could be a boost and get some public recognition of the issue.

(my mind is racing now !!!!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 PM

LOL Black Orchid Yes, the movie is all over the place. You can visit The Business of Being Born website to find out where it is being shown near you and if it isn't, find out how to host a screening. I organized a screening in Newport Beach back in November with Ricki Lake attending. It was quite fabulous I interviewed her for a podcast that you can download from iTunes if you search my name (Kris Bagiu; I can't link my blog here anymore).
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM

I saw it in the theater in October.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 PM

They have a place on the website where they have a place to put in your address and "pre-order" the movie too. Also its supposed to be in Netflix soon I think.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

oooh goody! what kind of press has it been getting? dh's bf is an entertainment writer for usa today. i was thinking of emailing him to see if he has/could do a story on it.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:02 AM

Not sure how you've been missing this! We did our first screening in November and our 2nd is on saturday. There have been 5 in GA and the whole birth community has been buzzing about this film for probably a year now

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 AM

I saw it back in September and thought it was AWESOME!

Did you see the newest issue of Mothering yet?

We're working on a big push... we have several states who really need to pass legislation.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM

I saw it. I thought it was really good. Some things kinda bugged me. It wasn't "perfect." I think it's a really good introduction for people to the problems with birth in the USA. Lots of interviews with Michael Odent and Marsden Wagner. I really enjoyed it. I've got it in my Netflix queue. I'm hoping to have a bunch of people over to watch it when I get it. Maybe it can be part of my community homebirth project.

Anyway, yeah, I don't know where you have been!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 PM

I loved it but....the midwife catches barehanded. And while I have no issue, it's her own body, if medical professionals see this (rn's, docs) she looks unprofessional to them. I have seen docs catch barehanded, but its an ohsh** moment.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 PM

DRAT!!! I can't get Netflix in Canada!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleBirth View Post
They have a place on the website where they have a place to put in your address and "pre-order" the movie too. Also its supposed to be in Netflix soon I think.
I already have it in my netflix queue, as my mamas giving birth in Dec. nixed any chance of seeing it in the nearby viewings, lol. I can't WAIT to see it... I think it comes in March. -Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I only recently got my own computer. I was depending on the library or DH to let me use his. And with two under 5, I don't get much time to surf at the library and DH is a workaholic, so I never get to use his... I am catching up slowly!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:21 AM

I Just Rented It From Netflix Every Women Should See

maya mama to dd 10,ds 5,ds 21m &15weeks
Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM

Also, if you have netflix, it is available on the instant watch movies. Search the documentaries. I watched it yesterday, and really enjoyed it.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM

We just got it in from netflix yesterday and already watched it
AWSOME movie and I must say I LOVE all the graphic birth clips (especially the african american gal with the water birth) I made my 4yo and 6yo watch the clips as they came on saying "that's how mommy is giving birth"
The girls actually LOVED seeing the birth clips and acted very interested and excited
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM

Got it from netflix also. AWESOME! I did not like the ending though. I was disappointed at their lack of explanation with the transfer.

The whole movie is great, its nothing we all dont already know, but, for others who watch it to gain a better understanding, the ending raises a lot of questions.

DF said to me at the end..."THIS is what they should be showing/teaching in high schools. Not DARE, not SEX ED, Not "how to drink just enough so you wont get busted" They should be showing movies like THIS. Get to those kids before they get too warped."

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So what was the reason for Abby Epstein's c-section at the end of the film??
I understand the reason for transferring (35wks along) but was the c-section for being breech? What was the "official" reason?

It was a very disappointing ending but the movie did a good job of bringing natural birth options and discussion to the masses. I really think/hope that people will be shocked by the stats shown in the movie and the history of birth in the U.S.

Hoping for a revolution....
Old 03-06-2008, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure the c/s was from being breech. They pulled the baby out butt first. The poor guy only weighed 3 lbs!

Virginia was born at 35 weeks and weighed almost 6 lbs!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:58 PM

she mentioned at the end that the baby wasn't getting nay nutrients anymore...growth restriction maybe? i seem to remember them saying something about that at the end.

: the sun is always shining here. loving life with DP and DS
Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
blah. i watched it the other night and i was NOT impressed. what is up with that midwife not wearing gloves? IMO that makes HB midwives look reallllllly bad. personally i really liked that midwife's style, and i practice a lot like her, but i would have liked to see some actual monitoring of the baby during labor, and had them talk about how HB midwives safeguard mom and baby. and the transfer at the end? the fact that the baby had undiagnosed IUGR was. . . .idk. i know that mom was seeing an OB at the beginning of her pg, and i am not trying to insinuate that the midwife was negligent, but the whole thing (no gloves, not showing any monitoring, the IUGR) to me just made HB midwives look unprofessional. i would also have liked to see a hospy midwife practicing normal birth. that would have been cool.

it could have been SO much better.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post
blah. i watched it the other night and i was NOT impressed. what is up with that midwife not wearing gloves?
I thought the same as you. But when I watched it for the second time it looked like she she was trying to get her gloves but the baby crowned too fast. Were there other times she was gloveless?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
blah. i watched it the other night and i was NOT impressed. what is up with that midwife not wearing gloves? IMO that makes HB midwives look reallllllly bad. personally i really liked that midwife's style, and i practice a lot like her, but i would have liked to see some actual monitoring of the baby during labor, and had them talk about how HB midwives safeguard mom and baby. and the transfer at the end? the fact that the baby had undiagnosed IUGR was. . . .idk. i know that mom was seeing an OB at the beginning of her pg, and i am not trying to insinuate that the midwife was negligent, but the whole thing (no gloves, not showing any monitoring, the IUGR) to me just made HB midwives look unprofessional. i would also have liked to see a hospy midwife practicing normal birth. that would have been cool.

it could have been SO much better.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:
i just posted a new thread about this bc i forgot about this one.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

User Tag List