Same sex couples and childbirth classes - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for your replies! I am hoping that this couple will be patient with me and help me learn!

BTW, I you MDC mamas!!

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
#32 of 35 Old 01-18-2008, 01:22 AM

I think the Bradley people are stuck in the 1960s and refuse to acknowledge that not everyone these days is married and having a baby. They refuse to get with the times and realize that their insistence on using this term offends people--at one point during our training Jay Hathaway tried to refer to "animal husbandry" as the reason behind the term. Whatever. The entire organization is so backwards I'm surprised they're still around.

I use moms and support persons in this current class. I have a few military moms in my class whose husbands are deployed so I don't need to remind them that "dad" won't be there for their birth...but their doulas will! In past classes everyone has been together, so I've used mom and dad.

I'm a Bradley educator and the "husband coached childbirth" thing annoys the living crap out of me! I changed it to "partner supported childbirth."
#33 of 35 Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM

I think partner would be fine for us. Please also remember that, even as an obstetrician myself, my partner and I are accustomed to people not knowing what to say or how to say it to us. I think most same-sex couples just appreciate the effort. We don't always know the right words either. And, we have "partners" at work and are "partners" at home and this creates all sorts of confusion in conversation all the time- you just have to laugh.
#34 of 35 Old 02-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Just a note, the movie "It's my body, my baby, my birth" features a lesbian couple! It's kind of an intro to midwifery care in general, so it might be a good option for those of you who want a more inclusive class.
#35 of 35 Old 02-17-2008, 10:56 PM

sooo, last week i had a same sex couple,teaching at the clinic,and had met them before, used the word partner most of the time they seemed fine with it, the only problem i thought they were loving towards each other and it seemed some of the other clients just realized in class that they were a couple, meanwhile i just go ahead and teach, they allneed the same info that i am teaching. just interesting to notice how comfortable i have come with this,and how i notice others reactions of people are different.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page