Mothering Forum banner

Foley Cath/balloon for labor induction?

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  riomidwife 
#1 ·
I'm 41 w, 6 d today. I have an appt. to have a Foley cath/balloon placed this afternoon. I risk out of my BC Thursday at midnight (have to be in active labor at that time) As of the 17th, I was 1 cm and 40% effaced, and my MWs all seem to agree that the Foley is the best option at this point, hoping it will kick labor into gear or at least make me more favorable to cohosh/castor oil/etc., if need be.

FWIW, I don't want to do anything to hurry this babe along, but my only other option is a hospital birth (hubby is not comfy with a homebirth, I respect that, and I want to avoid the hospital if at all possible.)

Anyway - I was hoping to read some Foley experiences, midwives and/or doula perspectives...

#2 ·
They're uncomfortable but they work well and I prefer to try them first over castor oil or herbs. I use a speculum to insert it, blow the balloon up, tape the tubing out of the way, and have the mom walk around until the pressure of the balloon opens the cervix. It should fall out around 4 cm.

If it doesn't work I move on to castor oil...

#4 ·
I would never try to put a foley in an "unripe" cervix, and it would have to be dilated some to even get the catheter in there (the tip of the catheter is about a fingertip in diameter). I have never induced for any reason other than post-dates at 42 weeks, so before then we have already used EPO and borage oil to soften the cervix.

#6 ·
It's worked 3 of the 5 times I've done it, but one of those 2 was for someone else's client and the client decided she didn't like it and went to the hospital to get induced before giving it a full try (she was also only 40 weeks and very impatient). All the others dilated to 4 cm though the one just never had contractions going as a result.

My doctor turned me onto it, I called him to accept a transfer for post-dates induction and he said "why don't you try the foley"? He's more natural minded and said he likes it because even though it's not a natural way to induce dilation, once it starts it's natural contractions with natural oxytocin, not a nasty pitocin labor. Our local CNM practice also finds it effective. I know that my anecdotal evidence of a sample of 5 isn't proof, but it's enough to make me think it's worth it.

#7 ·
What about PG gel, we use it all the time before our clients risk out for postdates. It is done in the hospital, 2.5% pG gel, stay on the monitor 20 minutes and then go home. Usually the postgate moms go into labor, and it can be repeated every 6 hours. Some hospitals require admission when it is done, but ours does not, and I have never had a problem with it. Now their is a new balloon out by COOK medical, it is a two balloon system. You advance the catheter all the way through the cervix, blow up the first balloon, and pull it back ubtil you have resistance then blow uo the second balloon. It works by dilating and effacing the cervix, great success rate, when it comes out you are 5-6 cm, and can be done in the office.

#8 ·
I had this done with my first baby at 42 weeks and it seemed to be pretty effective. I was 1 cm for several weeks. My MW put it in and a couple hours later it slipped out and I was 4-5 easy as can be. After that she broke my water and it wasn't quite so easy
but I had a vaginal delivery about 20 hours later. Good luck.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by midwifemom3 View Post
Now their is a new balloon out by COOK medical, it is a two balloon system. You advance the catheter all the way through the cervix, blow up the first balloon, and pull it back ubtil you have resistance then blow uo the second balloon. It works by dilating and effacing the cervix, great success rate, when it comes out you are 5-6 cm, and can be done in the office.
i'd love to hear more about this. any OOH midwives use this? where is it sold? thanks!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.