Mothering Forum banner

Doula Consult Fee?

3K views 55 replies 38 participants last post by  1972momma 
#1 ·
So a potential doula wants to charge me $100 to meet her. It would be applied to the whole fee if I choose her. If I don't choose her well I've paid her $100 for her time.

I didn't think much of it, but my DH think it's a bit over the top just to see if we mesh.

Both my DH and I work for ourselves and do not charge consult fees. First meeting are free. That's where he's coming from.

What is everyone else's experience with doula fees?

Thanks!

:

See less See more
#27 ·
Its costs almost nothing for an interview from the doula's end.

.50 folder (buy in bulk and it's even less)
.20 to .50 for copy of contract, brochure and a business card

being invited for a meeting for tea somewhere (without the kids) and chatting with a pregnant couple is a BLESSING, I've never been not hired, but even if I was it's fun to get out and chat for an hour. I normally sit a read after they leave.

People call ME, I get to say where to meet. I don't see any reason why anyone would have to charge for this.

#28 ·
I don't know anyone in my area who does this. I have been a doula 8 years and I would never charge for initial appt. Its up to me to make a good impression and get hired. Any expense for the initial visit is deductible on my taxes and that is fine with me. And $100?????????? Even if I were going to charge this is way way over the top in terms of actual time/expense vs. time spent with initial consults. I would move on.

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doula Dani View Post
I didn't have an opportunity to read through all of this, although I imagine that I'm going to say what others already have. I think that's ridiculous. The consultation should be free. Not ONLY because you need to see if you mesh with your doula, but your doula needs to make sure SHE feels comfortable coming to your birth as well.
Yes, another good point. One of my other "rules" is, I absolutely DO NOT accept money/promises/sign contracts at an initial meet. Parents often wish to do this, but I tell them, "I like to give you guys the opportunity to talk about me behind my back, lol, so I make it a habit to not deal business at an initial meet."

1- I look confident and not desperate
2- If I feel we don't "connect," I have time to think about that more and decide if I want to work with this family or not. If I decide I don't want to be a part of this, I have time to figure out what I will say, which generally is, "It turns out I won't be available for you guys, and here is a lost of other doulas you may want to contact."

I really value that time apart, so I can reflect on our meeting, and not get all honeymoon-ed, caught up in something.

Because of that, I never have to stumble at an initial if a bad fit wants to hire me, and I am also not forced into a relationship because, well, they want to hire me on the spot.

#32 ·
Yes, another good point. One of my other "rules" is, I absolutely DO NOT accept money/promises/sign contracts at an initial meet. Parents often wish to do this, but I tell them, "I like to give you guys the opportunity to talk about me behind my back, lol, so I make it a habit to not deal business at an initial meet."

I don't sign contracts at my first meeting either.....first payment and signing of the contract comes when we've met and they've then decided that they want me as their doula and I come back to do the first prenatal appointment.

#31 ·
I do not charge to meet with potential clients. There has certainly been times when I have been tempted because I live a little bit in the boonies and usually travel a distance to get to potential clients (only to have them tell me that I am too far away...GRR....even if I mention before hand where I live). I haven't had a paying client in 6 months and have traveled to meet several Mama's. I am a quite capable doula but the distance is a total factor so I am very tempted to ask those that live out of a certain area that still want to meet me after talking on the phone or whatever for a certain fee (not 100 dollars) knowing that in the end the distance (and the fact that I do charge "slightly more" than other doulas of the same experience....based on the fact that I have to travel) usually ends up being a turn off and I have travelled for nothing.

#34 ·
The doulas I have seen who practice this way (and I have only run across them online, no one here charges for an initial meet) tend to justify it by saying they do a lot of research for potential clients, they run off a lot of handouts, it takes up their time, gas money, childcare...here are my feelings on those rationales.

While I can somewhat understand the rationale behind charging a fee, $100 is way out of hand. Expectant parents have better things to throw money around on. Even a fee of $25...I believe parents deserve to interview at least 3-4 doulas, and $75 in fees just to find one? Quite honestly, I think it's absurd to expect that of people. Do you have to pay for gas? Yes, so arrange to meet close to your house if possible. Handouts? There's no reason, IMO, to be giving tons of expensive handouts at an initial interview. To me, the initial interview is to see if you get that good "feeling" and clarify any questions you have about that person's training/experience and if you are a good match, NOT to do a bunch of education. A contract, info sheet/brochure, a copy of Dads and Doulas or something, is PLENTY. A doula should not be wasting her time doing a bunch of research for people who may or may not hire her. Childcare? I always arrange to meet clients when my kids are in childcare anyway, or with my husband. I don't see charging someone for that as a justification at all. If you have a situation where you only have childcare available for hire, are you really in a position to be a doula? I ask that very honestly, because of the way I have things lined up in my life. If I'm at a birth for 24 hours, I don't have to pay for 24 hours of childcare. I can't see how you make any money at all that way. Your time? This is part of the job, as far as I am concerned.

I personally feel that initial consults are a part of doing business, and that doulas should determine their fee package for clients who do hire them accordingly.

#35 ·
I am a doula, and I don't know of a single person in my community who charges for an initial consult. I don't provide education at the consult either (unless we're addressing specific concerns of the client). I bring information about myself and the couple and we talk about what they need.

I sure would love to get reimbursed for consults in a perfect world, but frankly I just see these as a business expense. I screen out potential clients to make sure we're a decent fit (on both sides) before interviewing, and end up getting hired by nearly all of them. I couldn't imagine charging for these.

#36 ·
Eh, I wouldn't charge for an interview but I don't see it as a huge faux pas - I see the reasoning behind it. Additionally, I think it's a little unfair to compare doulas and midwives to lawyers and peds, seeing as how a doula or midwife does not make the same kind of money. It's harder to eat that time and the expenses that come with it when the pay barely covers the work to begin with.

#37 ·
Nobody that I know of here does it either. I have scaled back on my handouts significantly until hired and now meet at a halfway point central to both parties to cut back on costs.

And if I was an employer, hiring for any other job, I wouldn't expect to pay the interviewee for their time....it's just part of it. I wouldn't reimburse for their gas or the copies they made of their resume, nor would I expect to be compensated for such as the one being interviewed.

#40 ·
I wanted to comment here. I do not charge a consult fee for someone interviewing me for their birth. However, I can see why some doulas may. Have you seen the price of gas? ; )

Also, I spend at least two hours with a potential client in general, before I pull out my contract and pen. Two hours of childcare around here is at least $20.00., and with travel time, it add's up. And I have three children.

Don't forget that if a doula does this four times in one month, the cost of child care and gas could be over well over $150.

If I added this policy to my initial consultation, I would only charge $25 for the two hour consult.

Outside of the typical doula consult, I have charged a consult fee for families who are trying to figure out what path they are going to take. Sometimes that has involved helping partners work out their concerns with each other (sort of a birth planning mediator) and I charge for this. Usually I ask the couple to do their research in advance, and I come and answer questions, share information, and I even come prepared to show them my contract in the event that they do sign up with me. This particular service is for those who just don't know what to do (typical hospital, homebirth or hospital with doula).

So, with all of that, I would recommend that you interview several doulas over the phone (as others recommended) and narrow down your potential doulas to two or three, and meet each of those. If this doula really appeals to you, I would say the $100 is worth it, but as another poster said, I would ask for the fee to be reduced to $25, and be applied to your total if you do sign on with her.

Best of luck!
Jyotsna

#41 ·
I understand the cost of gas and childcare, but a doula chooses to be self employed, and that is part of your driving to work. Interviewing is part of your service. What if you have to pay three doulas before you find yours. That is money wasted that could have gone to the actual doula fee.

Also, you can and should be keeping track of your money spent and gas miles, as it is something you can write off on your taxes.

#42 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
Also, I spend at least two hours with a potential client in general, before I pull out my contract and pen. Two hours of childcare around here is at least $20.00., and with travel time, it add's up. And I have three children.

Best of luck!
Jyotsna
Wow, two hours is a long time to spend with a perspective client. What in the world do you discuss for that long?

When I do interviews they are just that interviews - to me it is the final step before they decide whether to hire me or not, because prior to the interview they may have e-mailed me several times or called and talked with me, have visited my website where I have extensive information and therefore my interviews never take more then 1/2 hour.

I do not believe in doing education during the interview because that is a service that is included in my fee, so all education comes after they signed the contract - during their prenatals. What I found was that the more educating I did during the interview the less people hired me because they left feeling like they knew so much that they didn't need a doula anymore.

#45 ·
TLCdoula,

<Wow, two hours is a long time to spend with a perspective client. What in the world do you discuss for that long? >

Yes, it is a long time, however I have had a 99 % hire rate. I did have one family who chose do the hospital birth with their mother, and were still thinking about it when they talked to me. Honestly, I take time now (since that client) to make sure that the couple would likely hire me, and I would likely sign them on, before I come to their home.

As for what I discuss? First I answer all of their questions as far as what I can do for them.
Next I listen to their birth stories with other children (if they have given birth before).
Then I share the policy of Informed Consent / Refusal in the hospital. And many questions pop up in concern to this.

I also share information about prevention and early detection of pre-term labor and preeclampsia (I experienced pre-term labor, and no one had ever told me what the warning signs were, or how to prevent this (of course some cases can't be prevented) like keeping up your consumption of proteins and staying hydrated. I added this after getting a call from a woman who made an appointment with me. She told me that she was in the middle of a miscarriage and couldn't make it. How sad. Having experienced birth loss myself, I like to include information.

Also, talk to them about natural childbirth preparation, local support (LLL), and national support (MDC) ect.

I believe that they should get something out of my visit, or both of us have wasted our time.

As for the $100, again as everyone has said, "way too much". I wouldn't mark this doula off your list entirely. Also, she could be just getting started and have no idea that she should have a free consult. Talking it out is the best way to work through that.

And when looking for a doula, in addition to matching your personality and workability, think about the final outcome. Does your doula have a track record with hospital births, VBAC's, or other things that you need? Can she honor your request during the birth? Do you think that she can truely help you to avoid a c-section? Will she help you (if needed) to latch your baby on after the birth, and assist you in ways to keep that breastfeeding relationship going? Does she have community contacts for new parents? Does she have a back up for your birth?

I think focusing on what she can do for you and your partner on the day of your birth, is far more important, than IF she charges for a consult. And definately if you don't like your doulas fees, ASK her to give you reduced fees (if you can't afford to pay, or like her but find her to be the most expensive).

Many doulas will work with families who don't have the resources for paying, or allow the family to pay out the fee's over several weeks or months. Some doulas accept Paypal, so you could use your credit card. The point is that I don't know a single doula who wouldn't work with you in some way to make this situation just right, so that she could be at your birth.

Good luck in wading the waters!

#46 ·
I guess I am not looking for a 99% hire rate -- I am looking for a good fit, a mutual understanding, and a desire for a synergistic relationship.

Like I stated before about not taking money/signing contracts at an intitial meet: If you charge a consult fee, and you detest the couple, are you then required to take them as clients because they paid that fee, which was understood to carry over to your doula fee? Are some doulas just not that picky? Or do some doulas work well with everyone?

I am not saying I am choose-y, but there are things I would rather not deal with, like a mom who smokes, or birth choices, from the get-go, I am not challenged by, such as all-the-meds-as-soon-as-she-can-get-them client. If I took everybody who wanted me as a doula without thought to my own beliefs, sanity, and gut feelings, there wouldn't be an issue. But I have to also enjoy what I do. I don't need clients that badly.

#47 ·
idsapmom,

Your point is well taken about the fee. I don't do that, and still could see that some may like to do so, but if you don't like the couple, you are stuck possibly accepting them, working with them ect.
It can't be the best of circumstances.

I'm glad there is a forum where we can express these thoughts.

Thanks for sharing!

#48 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
TLCdoula,

Yes, it is a long time, however I have had a 99 % hire rate. I did have one family who chose do the hospital birth with their mother, and were still thinking about it when they talked to me. Honestly, I take time now (since that client) to make sure that the couple would likely hire me, and I would likely sign them on, before I come to their home.

That is very interesting because I have found the opposite
When I hold long interviews I don't get hired, but when I keep them to interviews only then I get hired - same as you about 99% of the time.

#49 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldsapmom View Post
Like I stated before about not taking money/signing contracts at an intitial meet: If you charge a consult fee, and you detest the couple, are you then required to take them as clients because they paid that fee, which was understood to carry over to your doula fee? Are some doulas just not that picky? Or do some doulas work well with everyone?

That is a good point!!! I wonder what the doula will do in a case like that? Like you I feel it is important for them to be comfortable with me and me with them. Honestly when I first started out I took anyone that wanted to hire me, and I remember one birth being so bizarre that it really left me scratching my head and when I sat down and thought about the whole thing my gut was right and it made lots of sense LOL Now I only take on clients if there is that mutual comfort!! You do bring up a good point though and it would be nice to know what the doula does if she doesn't like the couple.

#50 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhapmom View Post
nope. i wouldnt pay. im a lawyer and when i was working didnt charge for a first time consult. i think its bad business practice.
When I was a lawyer I did. If they wanted to talk on the phone at my convenience, I would of course speak with them to the extent I could. If they wanted to sit down and meet, I charged an hourly rate lower than my general hourly rate, but I charged nonetheless.

It depends what kind of cases you take. A doula client is a fairly small, limited case and if a doula wants to prevent lots of unpaid overhead, I'm supportive. After all, she is typically doing a lot of education in that first meeting. I doubt the conversation is solely related to her qualifications.

#51 ·
I don't know much about the market for Boston area, but some of the doulas in this area do charge for a consultation. Personally, I do not... my contract allows for a "charge" for prenatal visits which is prorated if my client decides at the last minute that she doesn't want me there, but not for a consultation.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.