Mothering Forum banner

Doula Consult Fee?

3K views 55 replies 38 participants last post by  1972momma 
#1 ·
So a potential doula wants to charge me $100 to meet her. It would be applied to the whole fee if I choose her. If I don't choose her well I've paid her $100 for her time.

I didn't think much of it, but my DH think it's a bit over the top just to see if we mesh.

Both my DH and I work for ourselves and do not charge consult fees. First meeting are free. That's where he's coming from.

What is everyone else's experience with doula fees?

Thanks!

:

See less See more
#2 ·
If someone wants to meet me for labor assistant or midwifery services I never charge a fee. That is pretty standard.

I think your husband is right to feel it is over the top.

Of course potential clients come to my home/office for the meeting, but it is always free, to see if we mesh.

Best of luck!

#4 ·
I hired a doula for my June birth and didn't pay anything to meet with her. In fact, none of the three doulas I spoke with asked for a fee. I paid $500 for the service soup to nuts. I agree, $100 would be way more than I would pay. It doesn't seem like a good business choice on her side.

#6 ·
I think MANY experienced doulas, myself included, do charge for an interview. Just like some midwives do, just like basically all doctors do, lawyers, etc... The difference is that we generally waive the fee if we are hired - let's see if your pediatrician will do that

Here are my reasons for charging a fee:

1) I have to pay for childcare to go see you. That of course is built in to the cost of my clients, but since you may not become a client, that is money I have to pay.

2) I have to pay for gas to go see you. Have you seen gas prices lately?

3) I bring a LOT of handouts. They cost money to make.

Also, the other thing is that I don't want to waste my time with someone who might not be really interested in hiring me. I know it sounds kind of crass, but there are people who will bring in 10 people or whatever for an interview. I really try and discourage that. Mainly because I just don't have time to just do interviews all day.

Here is what I do do:

I will talk to you via e-mail/phone practically an unlimited amount for free before being hired. I say "practically" because in reality there could be someone who may try and take advantage of that, but I have never personally had that happen.

E-mail me - and your 10 other doulas - all you want. Ask me questions about practically anything. Call me and pick my brain. Call me a few times. See how we connect. I will do all that for free.

If you want to meet with me in person, it means that you already think there is a pretty good chance that you want to hire me (and I have a 98% hire rate among people I interview with). Honestly, it just weeds out people that aren't really serious about hiring me - and also helps them beforehand think about what they want in a doula.

All of that being said - those are my reasons, and I certainly can't speak for the doula you want to interview. I also only charge $50, not $100. And I have been known to waive the fee under certain circumstances.

I do hope that helps make it clearer.

#8 ·
None of the doulas/midwives I've interviewed have charged for a first consult. Our pediatrician didn't either! We in fact interviewed several before choosing the one we wanted. I would personally not feel comfortable email/phone interviewing someone and then paying to see them in person. I need to get someone's vibe to see if we mesh. But, then again, all the interviews I've had we've gone to the person, not expected them to come to us.

I don't know, to me the fee feels like being held hostage. I would probably see if there are other doulas around you that you could interview. I think there are lots that don't charge a consult, but you'd probably have to travel to them. I'd only do the $100 consult one if your gut tells you she's the only one for you!

#9 ·
I do understand the why's of it all. Travel time, gas, materials, and basically just your plain ole time. But I am spending MY time too. Like I said, both my husband and I own our own business so we completely get the charging for your time thing.

I really need to meet the person, in person, who will be at my birth. Last time we didn't and when we were transferred to the hospital she got a bit run over by all that was going on. I need to meet this person to see what she's made of. I can't pay hundreds of dollars just to choose someone to pay hundreds of dollars too. And now I sound crass - this is my baby's birth after all. I would pay anything.

I was just wondering what is standard. She is a bit far and I can't say she's THE one. So perhaps I'll try to find some others closer.

I didn't choose a highly recommended pediatrician for the same reason, I am just now remembering this. It didn't sit right with me that I couldn't just meet them without paying. Hmmmm....

#10 ·
I completely agree with yonit's post on the upfront expenses a doula encounters in going to a potential client's home.

I too charge an interview fee, $40 for an in-office visit. I looked at the cost of printing my handouts, blocking out my schedule to allow time for an interview, and also to weed out the "I'm looking for a doula and interviewing everyone within a 40 mile radius" types. Personally I find the $100 a little high but I think you should feel comfortable asking her why the interview fee is so high. Does she have a great distance to travel? Is her availability and schedule so tight that she charges a high fee to discourage more interviews than she can work with?

Just like yonit I too have been known to waive my interview fee. But without the fee in place I'd be booked solid going on free interviews. It makes sense for my business but everyone has to work according to what works best for them. Besides, how much more do we value, as a society, something we've had to pay a little for as opposed to something we've been given for free?

#11 ·
None of the doulas we interviewed had fees for the initial meeting. I can sort of understand why you would charge a fee, but $100 is way too much IMO. If you don't connect w/ this doula then that's quite an expensive way to find out. Personally, I would start interviewing w/ doulas that did not charge for a consult. If that didn't get me anywhere then maybe I'd pay to meet w/ her.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate'sMama View Post
I really need to meet the person, in person, who will be at my birth. Last time we didn't and when we were transferred to the hospital she got a bit run over by all that was going on. I need to meet this person to see what she's made of. I can't pay hundreds of dollars just to choose someone to pay hundreds of dollars too. And now I sound crass - this is my baby's birth after all. I would pay anything.
I completely understand wanting to meet her before hiring her. Of course I do. But certainly you can narrow down your choices quite a bit via phone or e-mail. I'll tell you I have often gotten e-mails from a new potential client which is basically just a questionnaire that is obviously being sent out to all the doulas in the area. I, along with anyone else who wants, answers the questions and then you only respond back to the ones you are interested in.

There is no reason why you can't whittle your list down to just a couple of people before interviews (with possibly a 3rd in case the other 2 really aren't going to work out). Then make your final decision on those last 2 with an interview. You will hire one - and thus have the fee waived. So only pay the fee to the other one (if both even charge a fee).

Almost always when I go on an interview, the people are pretty much sure they want to hire me. I am generally the only interview they have planned - or sometimes one other person as well. Almost never is it more than 2 people - because they have already done their research and know what they are looking for in a doula. The interview is just to confirm that we really are a good match.

Interviewing should NOT be your first step in the selection process, but the last step. If interviews were the first step, I would probably only get hired about 10% of the time. So that would be 9 interviews I did for free at about 2 hours each, plus expenses. What a waste of my time. What a waste of yours as well - since you just spent 20 hours doing interviews!

In your case, you haven't really spoken with a lot of doulas yet and aren't really sure if you want to hire her yet. At least that is what I am getting from your post. Definitely talk to a bunch more doulas and get a better feel for what is out there. And then think about doing interviews...

Also, one more point to consider, you really do get what you pay for. IME, newer doulas that are still establishing their practices won't necessarily charge for an interview. Most more experienced doulas will. That doesn't mean that a newer doula is not a good doula, (I am a doula trainer and know many wonderful new doulas), but she might still be getting her "sea legs" so to speak. You mention having someone who is strong and who won't get plowed over by the hospital staff, you personally may be happier with the more experienced doula. But they generally charge more.

If this particular doula is experienced, works a lot at your particular hospital and is well respected there, and you connect with her, than it may be worth chalking up the $100 for the interview (although I would definitely question her on why it is so high and see if you can negotiate a bit on it).

Just some things to think about...

#13 ·
Thanks Yonit. You make some good points and have sage advice. Are you available to meet for an interview?

I'll save her for last after I meet a couple of others. For the record, I will not be interviewing dozens of doulas. I simply don't have time for that. I work out of my home, have a toddler, moving, renovating, pregnant and on and on. So while interviewing is not my first step, it is my second or third! I need to know and move on. I got some names (3) emailed them, spoke with them, and she's the one I wanted to interview. If we didn't mesh I was going to get three more names. It's just a shame that maybe I won't meet her just because of the fee.

I will talk to her about it. I don't have a problem paying the fee per se just wondering what's normal. Since I don't consider it SOP for my business, nor does my DH.

Thanks ladies!!

#14 ·
Quote:

Thanks Yonit. You make some good points and have sage advice. Are you available to meet for an interview?

!
Sorry. I'd have to charge you.
Besides I am not really attending any births right now anyway, as I don't currently have reliable child care. Just teaching...

It sounds like you have a good plan. But what could happen is: You get 3 more names. You call them, and you still feel like you like this first doula best. So you get 3 more names - and you still feel like you want this first doula. At that point you have spoken with 9 doulas and feel that she is the best match. THAT is when you schedule the interview.

Or you might find that there is someone in this next batch that you like even better

IOW, don't let the fact that she is charging for the interview be the deciding factor. Make sure you find the doula who is right for you.

#17 ·
it's not normal to pay a fee, or ask for a fee for an interview. Maybe gas money in a weird situation might be appropriate.

I'd cross her off the list already.

Never heard of a midwife or doula asking for this.

and I disagree that you get what you pay for in this line of work. We have doulas here I wouldn't hire to watch my shoes that charge twice what some others do. Some of the best I've ever met are volunteers.

#18 ·
I don't know anyone in the birth community around this area that charges for consults.

Honestly, I want my clients to interview at least one other doula face to face so that they know in their heart that I'm the right choice for them. Phone calls and emails are great, but I've had situations where clients were much, much, much different in person than I'd expected by our phone conversations. I'm sure that many feel the same about the doulas that they interview. Plus, I don't want to feel obligated to accept anyone as a client until after meeting them face to face!

And as a person who has hired a doula, I wouldn't interview someone who charged for a consult. I consider it a cost of doing business and write my expenses for consults off my taxes.

#19 ·
I have been working as a doula for over 8 years, and I have never charged for an initial interview. None of the doualas in my area do either. In fact, this thread is the first time I have learned some doulas do this.

I hope TLC chimes in, becuase I learned a lot of this from her.

I used to take a lot of handout's to an initial meet; now, I save my money. I bring a copy of my contract, a copy of my references, my baby book with pics of past clients, and sometimes an additional handout, like belly mapping, early labor plan, etc.

I DO NOT answer myriad questions on the phone or via email. It is a waste of my time, and I HAVE been in situations where I felt I was taken advantage of, working hard to get a client, and they didn't hire me. If you want my help searching out info, then you must have that contract and deposit taken care of.

So I have to pay for my gas and my childcare -- so does everyone (I generally meet people in public places for an initial meet). I don't think it bodes well to bring in the childcare factor, because that could be ahuge urn-off as someone is looking to hire a doula -- if you are charging a potential client for your childcare expenses for an hour pre-interview, what fees will be incurred if you are then gone for 36 hours during a birth? I want clients to know my life is settled and secure so that I have reliable care for my kids while I am off playing doula.

If gas is a big deal, meet halfway. I am fortunate that I stick close to home, so I don't have to travel much more than 30 minutes to meet with clients. But if I do have to travel, I don't tack anything extra on, it is all part of the fee.

I would, in the OP's position, look around A LOT before I dropped $100 for an interview.

#20 ·
I don't charge for an initial interview, however I have started holding them in my office so that I don't have the extra gas/travel time/childcare/etc. Although, I do enjoy meeting people for a cup of coffee too.... great excuse to get a latte!

#22 ·
I will always do a free first meeting to see if the family feels comfortable with me, and then if they do we will meet again where we will sign the contract, forms, pay me 1/2 my doula fee, and then we will do the first prenatal.

I would never charge anyone to meet me to see if they wanted to hire me.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootamy View Post
I looked at the cost of printing my handouts, blocking out my schedule to allow time for an interview, and also to weed out the "I'm looking for a doula and interviewing everyone within a 40 mile radius" types.
Personally I do not give people lots of printed material until they sign on with me, and I make sure they know that. I give them a brochure, business card, copy of the contract and a one page sheet with info on me - that's it. I will not waste my time on the potentials who are just interviewing everyone, and will not give them everything for free. I hold off on giving them all the information until they have hired me, and like was originally posted what I do is have a binder with the information in it that I borrow to them while they are working with me. This saves on the environment and saves on the cost of me copying tons and tons of pages of information.

I do not charge if they come to my office for the interview, and I have yet to have anyone refuse that.

#24 ·
That is really steep for an initial interview.

The way I do it is that 'first meeting is free, just talking to get acquainted and see how we feel about each other'. They have to come see me, or see me when I am already in their neighborhood and the timing is convenient for me. UNLESS they want me to travel to them, or do an actual consult. It is one thing to say 'how would you handle xyz'. Quite another for them to say 'I have this issue, can you advise me on it'? I try to make this clear ahead of time--I mail or email my professional disclosure and contract, they can call or email me w/clarifying questions (otherwise, they don't get any copies of anything else from me). If they want to move on to a face to face meeting while still considering, I only charge if they actually want a prenatal exam and/or real consult for their pregnancy and situation, or for gas if applicable.

So, they might pay me something for that initial visit--as little as $20 for gas, or as much as $75 for exam/consult. But $100? IMO, too steep! I am all for valuing one's time and knowledge...and still~~~~ I guess I consider the free meeting to be a form of advertising/promotion, and that is something that any business does pay for. If I pay for that in my time, that's fine.

I agree--don't make the $100 your deciding factor. But I myself would certainly look further afield to see if anyone else fits, before meeting her for that fee.

#25 ·
Quote:

So a potential doula wants to charge me $100 to meet her. It would be applied to the whole fee if I choose her. If I don't choose her well I've paid her $100 for her time.

I didn't think much of it, but my DH think it's a bit over the top just to see if we mesh.

Both my DH and I work for ourselves and do not charge consult fees. First meeting are free. That's where he's coming from.

What is everyone else's experience with doula fees?

Thanks!

:
I didn't have an opportunity to read through all of this, although I imagine that I'm going to say what others already have. I think that's ridiculous. The consultation should be free. Not ONLY because you need to see if you mesh with your doula, but your doula needs to make sure SHE feels comfortable coming to your birth as well.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.