Birthing From Within - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 03-07-2008, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would again say that it depends whats happening in your life! BUT I think anything is possible if you have time, determination and commitment! Start the reading now, the list is on the website....and plan to start teaching ASAP! And keep in mind that marketing & getting participants can take time, so start networking immediatly with local midwives, doulas etc.....I had to cancel my first couple planned series due to not enough interest...it takes a bit to build, but that too would depend on where you are living!!

SArah
#32 of 48 Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks for responding, Sarahfina! I should have also mentioned that I do not have any children yet, so I probably have a lot more time than most!

I have started reading, already finished Birthing From Within and am currently reading Sheila Kitzinger's Pregnancy and Childbirth book, but I don't really know what is expected from me in terms of book notes. Can I just keep a spiral notebook with the notes in it?

Thanks again, you have been so helpful with everything!

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#33 of 48 Old 03-10-2008, 12:16 AM

Glad the info is helpful for you, and yes, not having kids yet will give you much more time than those with kids!!

In book notes, you'll want all the bibliography info, plus a brief (half page) summery of the book, a note about if and why you might use this in book yourself and if and why you might recommend it to couples you work with....also maybe a quote you like....nothing compicated!

Sarah
#34 of 48 Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Whoohooo, that's not bad at all! I can do that!! Thanks again!!

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#35 of 48 Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 AM

I just have to bump this up because the workshop is in THREE WEEKS as of today!!! Is anyone else as excited as me?!?!

#36 of 48 Old 03-21-2008, 11:41 AM

There are some things that really appeal to me about the Birthing from Within mentor training. I love the self-exploration aspect mentors go through. I think that's really neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
I would never (and when I say "I" I don't think I'm alone) say "yes!" to pain, and it seems that's what the book expects.
That was a turn-off for me as well when I read it during my second pregnancy. I loved the journaling and birth art stuff. That was awesome. I hated the unending messages of embracing pain. I actually chucked the book across the room when I got to the part where the midwife said she blows out candles and tells women to get to work if she shows up at a birth with candles and a woman relaxing peacefully. :

I think Pam's own experience of being blindsided by a much more painful birth than she was expecting factors in to why she talks so much about embracing pain. It may be that most women reading the book need to hear that message, so perhaps it's best as it is. It was definitely not what I needed at the time.

I ended up having a peaceful, relaxed, painless home water birth, which is exactly the type of birth I wanted and I don't think I would have had it if my midwife had adopted the same attitude as the midwife in the book. I didn't find what I needed to achieve that within the pages of Birthing from Within so I looked elsewhere (hypnosis).

Anyway, I think the book could be better. I know two BFW mentors who are really awesome people and I'm sure their classes are fantastic. I teach Hypnobabies classes, which is what works for me and the majority of my students. I'm not sure I could get over my own hang-ups regarding embracing pain and being a birth warrior even though teaching a BFW style class appeals to me on many levels.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#37 of 48 Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
I just have to bump this up because the workshop is in THREE WEEKS as of today!!! Is anyone else as excited as me?!?!
I am, I am! I think it is going to be an experience...
#38 of 48 Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 AM

Kristi, are you doing the doula workshop as well? I'm not...I'm leaving on Sunday. A lot of people talking via email about ride shares seem to all be leaving on Monday...wonder if I'm the only one not taking the doula workshop. Hmm...

#39 of 48 Old 03-24-2008, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I am taking the doula workshop as well. I thought it would be great because I am interested in both. I noticed that too about the rideshares. Did I mention that I can't wait??...
#40 of 48 Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Ok...I have no words to say how absolutely phenomenal the BFW Intro Workshop was. My brain is just now starting to come down from the immense high it got from the awesome energy that was there. The women were amazing, Britta and Virginia were fabulous, Pam England was all that I expected and MORE! I cannot wait til Friday, payday, so I can enroll in the program. This past weekend was one of the most wonderful times of my life. I am so glad I went!!!

Anyone else?!

#41 of 48 Old 04-16-2008, 02:02 AM

I hear you sister. Welcome to the tribe! Its wonderful, isn't it?!

Hugs,

Sarahfina
#42 of 48 Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 AM

Oh my goodness, yes, it is definitely wonderful!!

((Hugs Back!))

#43 of 48 Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

I kept thinking I wonder which one is Feminine Earth! ha! I feel like I can't even write about the experience because I can't even begin to find the words for it. It was amazing.
#44 of 48 Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 PM

I was in the dorms across from the conference center. I have a nose ring, and I was one of the four in the coyote circle who had never given birth. Natalee (who also had a nose ring, lol) was my partner. I asked a lot of questions throughout the weekend...hmm...and my name is Melissa! There were only two Melissa's...one was from Denver, and I'm a Floridian!

Which one of the ladies were you?? I asked everyone in my dorm if any of them were on Mothering, and one was, but it wasn't you.

#45 of 48 Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

I wore a tie dye shirt one day. Sat in front a few times. I didn't ask questions. hmm? I think I know who you are. Were you in Britta's group exercise outside at the picnic table? I stayed down in the birthing cabin which was cool because I gave birth there about 19 months ago.
#46 of 48 Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 AM

Ahhhh!! I know who you are! And I figured that was you, but I thought they were calling you "Christa" and not Kristi! You have the beautiful blonde boy, right? I talked to you outside the conference center while he was walking with you up the stairs. Yep, I was in Britta's group...I was the one who did the "tornado" visualization.

Are you going to continue with the mentor program? Tomorrow is payday for me, and I cannot WAIT to sign up!!

#47 of 48 Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, I have the beautiful blonde boy. I am not sure if I will sign up or not. I am going to use some time to process my thoughts. I thought it was great but am wondering if I could really do it. I am so glad to hear that you are going forward, you will be awesome at it! Have you had any luck yet finding like minded people in your area?
#48 of 48 Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 PM

Thank you for the encouragement! I hope I can do it...right now, I'm super excited, and that's hiding most of my nervousness!

I have a great yoga community close to where I live, so I'm hoping to meet some like-minded mamas soon. I think it'd be easier to find people like me if I wasn't stuck at a desk out in the middle of nowhere all day long. Once I actually start teaching and am able to leave my desk job, I think I will start meeting more people...I hope so anyway!

If you do decide to continue the program, I think you will make a wonderful and very compassionate mentor. In fact, even if you don't continue with the program, I still feel you have a lot to offer pregnant and birthing mamas. I could literally feel kindness whenever I was around you, and that is so important in childbirth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page