Responding to records requests? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings birth professionals... anyone know where I should look for the relevant info about responses to records requests?

I switched providers because my previous provider told me they'd drop me if I declined the GTT (which I planned to do, and instead check my BG on my own 4x/day). My new provider is closer to home, great about my choices, yadda yadda... no complaints there. His office has been very professional and friendly as well.

My first visit, I filled out a records request form so they could request my records from my previous provider. I know that the old provider charges tons of money for patient-initiated requests, so it made a lot more sense for the doctor's office to do it.

Two and then some weeks later, at my next appointment, they didn't have my records yet. They said they'd look into it.

Another two weeks and they did receive my records... but just barely. The doc hadn't had time to review them before our appointment.

I just got off the phone with him, now that he's had a chance to look at them. There's plenty of info in there about the conversations we had about testing and such, apparently... but NO LAB WORK. Yes, they did a full blood workup at the beginning, I did the AFP and triple screen... none of it's there. ARGH!

I'm planning to write a letter anyway about the change in attitude of the practice since I had my son with them over three years ago. If I have a legitimate complaint for how slow and sloppy they've been with sending over my records, I'd like to lodge that formally as well. It's not some one-provider office; they're part of a large, hospital-affiliated practice with lots of office staff and space and all that.

Any thoughts on this? Is it just par for the course and nothing I can do? I mean, I'm 34 weeks here... it's not like there's a whole lot of time for my new provider to catch up! Fortunately I could answer most of his questions (like what my blood type is and what kinds of tests they did, all of which came back normal), and above all he TRUSTS me to report that accurately... but it's still good to look at the actual numbers and stuff, as long as they exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-29-2008, 06:28 PM

Anytime I have requested records from a doctor's office I have filled out whatever release they have and signed them over to MYSELF and then asked "When can I pick these up?" then picked them up so I could look them over while I'm still in the office. If they know I'm showing up on x date, they're typically there.

Unfortunately, yes, I think most offices are quite crappy about sending stuff over.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#3 of 5 Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 PM

With my first son (now 6...almost 7), I switched care providers at 26 weeks. We sent MULTIPLE requests for records via every route possible and my new doc never did get the records.

I would probably resend the form and ask specifically for labs to be included. I know I've gotten some incomplete charts and my clients just fill out another request with the specifics.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).

#4 of 5 Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 AM

HIPAA. Do a search for HIPAA and privacy policy.

Have your new provider request your lab work from them. They'll get it faster than if you request it yourself.
#5 of 5 Old 03-01-2008, 07:27 PM

Legally they have to transfer those records in a timely manner, I think the time frame depends on your state.

I'm in a hurry, but I found this link that might help... Your rights to medical records Cali

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page