NYT Article - Doulas & LCs - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 03-09-2008, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amie

I'm not sure if your tone is about the article or towards me, maybe i should clarify that I was responding to your comment #3, I brought up the taking it in 'stride' because it was in "woman's style section" of the paper.

~~~~~~~~~
We are in agreement and I have written so publicly that i think the journalist has taken perhaps a minuscule issue with mismatched doulas and clients and the resulting discord and blown it to a statical crisis by inaccurately citing that study. By the mere act of having it written about in the NY Times without adding how to find a doula or addressing intelligently the real health issues she claims exists (over use of clinically unnecessary interventions) then she has turned in slipshod journalism.

I too did not apperciate the inaccurate staged photo of a doula palpating a pregnant belly to drive home her point of doulas practicing out side the scope of common doula support.
#32 of 33 Old 03-09-2008, 06:30 PM

it's all good dewi...I was agreeing with you completely, and mainly just ranting a little bit more.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#33 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPaul View Post
Hello again,

I want to respond again because this discussion has become really interesting. I'm going to apologize in advance if this is my last post here, and if it's rather brief, but I have a crazy day at work and a doctor appt for my toddler.

Many of you raise the question of why I didn't present positive examples alongside the negative ones. I would have loved to have offered more examples and more of the positive side, but please do not underestimate the restrictions of word count. This story was drastically cut as it is. There was a lot more to say. Truly, the only place to write more freely is in blogs and in books, and I try to do so with both. I have started blogging at HuffPo, and I also have a book coming out next month that is an expose of the commercialization of parenthood in which I go into some of these issues at more length. And there is always more to be said....

I think some of the misunderstanding here also may arise from how journalists (at least responsible ones) work or try to work. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but if I write a story about conflicts with doulas and LCs, it is not with an agenda in mind but with an intention to document a phenomenon that is occurring. OF course, it is my hope that the issue will make moms (and dads) more conscientious when choosing lay caregiver help, and will perhaps inspire both fields to educate parents about their purpose and training. Unfortunately, no matter what I write, there always seem to be people who get upset and it seems to go with the territory. Last month, I wrote a story on the resurgence of cloth diapering in Time magazine. (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...702357,00.html) Was the disposable diaper industry furious? You bet.

Again, I am sorry if my story upset anyone, but truly, my hope is that women get the best possible care they can. I personally had a VBAC with my second child and the OB in NYC was so furious that I went through with it that he refused to speak to me or make eye contact while I was in the delivery room. I am considering getting a midwife the next time around, but as many of you know, options are severely limited in NYC as they are in many other areas. I want for their to be as many, and as good, options for women as possible, irrespective of income or insurance.

I wish everyone the best here. Again, I am sorry if I am unable to write again on this particular forum. But I hope that the discussion will continue in good spirit with or without me.

All best,
Pamela
Pamela,
I appreciated the spirit of your article and I would hope that it would encourage parents to remember to ask for references when deciding on their doula. I welcome it and have good solid references to supply. Most of my parents, amazingly, do NOT ask! Even so, I strive every day to make my practice mother-friendly and the story you wrote of, about a doula WALKING OUT on a mother because of an epidural was shocking, to say the least. Early on as a doula, a mother chose to have an epidural and asked me if I was disappointed in her?!?!?! NO... but I was deeply ashamed of me for obviously projecting MY OWN opinion of epidurals to this mother so strongly that she was worried AT HER BIRTH of what I would think of her!!! Now I've come to realize that I need to be very very careful to make sure that the information and support I give mothers comes from a factual basis and not colored (as much as possible) by my own beliefs and opinions. I offer information and additional information when questions come up, but rarely do I offer my own advice or opinion. I do believe that mothers need to be informed and supported in their own informed decisions. Their decisions may wildly differ from mine in certain situations, but that doesn't make them "bad" or "wrong"... just different.

Thanks for the reminder that one must be a careful consumer. Regardless of the service, there are good and bad and mediocre in all fields. There are fantastic doulas and L.C.'s and there are truly horrible ones too. It's just human nature to have a spectrum. It's also wise advice to know that there are good and bad, and have enough information and sense to know the difference.

I too wish there had been more feel good stories of great doulas and LC's and why one would engage the services of either, but there are limitations to every story published in that type of forum.
If you seek to do a follow up article, I would encourage a view from inside the profession, a take on being on call, the challenges and strains on the families, the lack of insurance reimbursment, the low pay, the low recognition, the issues between some territorial nurses and doulas, the training or lack thereof, the experience and/or lack thereof, etc.

Thanks!
- Jen
Dona trained doula in Michigan

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page