Herbs for psoriasis? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My SIL is 24 weeks pregnant with her first baby and recently developed psoriasis on her scalp. Her OB basically just told her to deal with it but I was wondering if there might be an herbal remedy she could try.

Stacy
Wife to K, Mama to Avery and TWINS due in September!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
psoriasis is a dx of exclusion it is auto-immune and would be hard to treat during pregnancy
some things that can be done is liver support - something like milkthistle seed could be helpful and supportive and may help to reduce the outbreak.
my dad who has had psoriasis for his whole life mainly juices everyday and that helps him-- topically he will use Sunlight dishwashing liquid and what ever is in that supresses the outbreaks if he skips juicing- (carrots, with some celery and apple or berries)
if she were not pregnant than one of the classic herbal remedies would be Oregon grape root - it works on the liver and immune system but is too strong for a pregnancy.

also something she can try just to be sure it isn't some sort of fungal infection Nizoral shampoo is de-regulated and you can get it from the shelf at the drug store- I would probably give that a good 4-6 week try before I went with the dx of psoriasis---
#3 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would actually recommend Burdock (Arctium lappa) root in tincture, tea/infusion, or cooked root aka "gobo" form.

Personally, I would drink the infusion (made by steeping 1/2 ounce dried root or 1 ounce fresh root in one quart of freshly boiled water for four hours or overnight), two cups a day. Even after the psoriasis goes away, this is a good general liver supporting infusion.

If you can only find the tincture, 20-30 drops twice a day should be sufficient.

If you can find the fresh root (it's hard to find around here, and not really in season), eat as much of it as you want at least three times a week.

Good luck to your SIL!

Sprat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, the most loving and gentle man in the world, our little Sprout, and now someone new!

#4 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Burdock root is an excellent recommendation and I forgot about it that is why I usually work in a team--- where I have found it is in the root veggie sections or sometimes at a store that has oriental produce- it is dark brown/black and usually more than a foot long very skinny maybe no bigger around than your thumb.
#5 of 5 Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Essential Fatty Acids often help with psoriasis. Flax, Hemp and Evening Primrose Oil can all be safely used during pregnancy. Not herbs, but helpful still, I hope.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page