anti-c antibodies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife just called with my bloodwork results and everything was fine except that the results showed that I have antibodies to the baby. Specifically anti-c antibodies. Right now the ratio is 1:1, and she said they would be concerned if it reached 1:8.
I have an appointment in a couple weeks to check it again.

What does all this mean?
I'm A+ bloodtype if that makes a difference. Why would there be antibodies? What causes this? and what are the complications? Can anything be done or it's just a 'wait and see' thing?

Honestly I'm not worried, just confused

: <--sorry my dd really wanted me to use this smiley.lol

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#2 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 05:41 PM

I'll bump a thread about this that should give you more info

Its the "concerning phone call from dr's office" thread

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#3 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
----- in addition to mainstream tests and observation I would probably recommend things like increase eating green veggies and berries in the diet for vitamin K and flavinoids that support connective tissue strength, Vitamin E as a supplement starting at 200 units, vitamin E helps with placental bed health.
-----------------------------------------------------

Main blood groups
ABO group - O, A,B and AB
D group----D positive (rhesus positive,Rh +), D negative (rhesus negative Rh-)

minor groups
that have been found to have the most impact in pregnancy are c (little c) and K (Kell) ; others ones that exist but may not be so C, E,e

the primary red cell antibodies that is most frequently discussed and treated is for Rh factors, the treatment is for the prevention of developing Anti-D antibodies. You can have a rhesus positive blood type and still have minor group antibodies to small c or Kell and in high enough numbers can cause a baby to be seriously ill. A 1:1 is still very small and is not of great concern it is the increasing titers that cause problems- because it means mom's body is actively fighting against a tagged by the immune system invader (baby's blood minor group)
---------------------------------
here is a link to a full text article on anti-c

http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/content/full/103/1/24
#4 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies. It's all so confusing though but if I get some quiet time I'll try reading through it all again.
Even after reading, I'm not sure what the complications are to the baby besides maybe anemia, which doesn't seem like such a big deal to me ?? I mean of course I don't wish my baby to be sick,but anemia seems easy to treat. Am I missing something?

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#5 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 PM

If it effects the baby before it is born, transfusions through the cord might be necessary in order to get the baby to a point in gestation when it is mature enough to be born. They might have to take the baby early because it is riskier for it to be in the womb, with the antibodies attacking it's red blood cells, than out, even prematurely.

Hemolytic disease of the newborn can potentially be very serious. The wiki entry seems pretty accurate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemolyt...of_the_newborn

But there are a ton of what-ifs at this point for you. But a titer of 1:1 is good and if it doesn't go up, there isn't much to be concerned about.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#6 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if the titers get high enough your immune system is progressively producing antibodies and providing them to the baby but instead of protecting the baby it the antibodies will be attacking the baby's blood- the cause of anemia would be destroyed red blood cells - since it has far more impact than say some anemia that you or I may have it is more like looking at a hemorrhage that is not going to stop easily- blood volume as well as oxygen/nutrient carrying cells it is a life threatening problem and like other things the further from due date the worse outcome- stresses all body systems - not enough blood to keep the heart pumping right, kidney failure or stressed growth, liver problems.... all the systems that are growing would be effected--
but a 1:1 titer shows at some point you devloped some antibodies- it may not get any worse and may not any impact on the baby
#7 of 11 Old 03-08-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
thanks ladies. It's all so confusing though but if I get some quiet time I'll try reading through it all again.
Even after reading, I'm not sure what the complications are to the baby besides maybe anemia, which doesn't seem like such a big deal to me ?? I mean of course I don't wish my baby to be sick,but anemia seems easy to treat. Am I missing something?
Hydrops fetalis. It can be a result of in utero anemia, and is essentially congestive heart failure.

1:1 is a very low titer. I'm Kell sensitized and my titers never got above 1:8 throughout my pregnancy, and actually dropped near the end. Currently I'm sensitized but too weak to titer. It can go either way.

c and Kell are not minor concerns, and you'll be monitored, probably with serial titers every 2-4 weeks. You may end up with a perinatology consult, and, if your titers rise too much, amniocentesis and an in-utero transfusion. But in the vast majority of cases, everything ends up being fine.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#8 of 11 Old 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm awaiting my results. I should get them tomorrow. I wish I hadn't read through this stuff at this point. I'm feeling so :

#9 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone read/heard of cases where the antibody levels go down or disappear all together? Is there anything I could do to reduce the levels?

Do my other autoimmune disorders relate to this at all? (celiac, thyroid)

#10 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 09:50 AM

I do know of a few cases of the antibody levels going down.

I had a 1:32 (anti d) with my first sensitized pg, and then 2 & 1/2 yrs later, my titer went down to 1:8 with my second sensitized pg. My first isoimmunized baby was anemic at birth and did 7 days on lights and was jaundiced for 4 weeks (didn't need a transfusion). My 2nd iso baby was coombs positive at birth, but completely unaffected by the antibody.

I think in my case I do have a weaker immune system so a huge response to the antibody didn't happen in my system. I get sinus infections, UTI's easily I I will get any stomach bug that comes along. I have to stay pretty healthy to avoid all that and take a lot of vitamin C every day to stay well. I also think time helped a lot, I waited over 2 years to get pregnant again to see if my titer would lower and it worked.

I have a NICU DR. friend who has seen a woman & treated one of her babies, who had 6 kids and her titer lowered with each one until it went away completely with the last. It can happen, its hard to say why. That woman and I also had C sections and amnios (for lung maturity) , both could raise titers, but they didn't in our cases. I hope this info helps! It is hard to find real stories about isoimmunization.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#11 of 11 Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Has anyone read/heard of cases where the antibody levels go down or disappear all together? Is there anything I could do to reduce the levels?

Do my other autoimmune disorders relate to this at all? (celiac, thyroid)
My titers went down, from 1:8 to too low to titer (basically, the antibodies are present, but in such low levels they can't be quantified).

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page