40 wks, not dialated or effaced - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
asking a ? for a friend who's niece is 19 and due tomorrow. went to dr. today, had an internal and is not dialated or effaced at all. they're starting non-stress tests tomorrow and if all remains normal, they're inducing next thursday. i've kind of befriended her thru her preg. as she wants to bf and planned to have a natural birth. she's young, and on public assistance because of no ins., so she's just a # at the clinic, and not getting very personal care. i'm sure they'd flip out if she walked in with a birth plan! her mom arrives from CA tomorrow. i don't know her, but i'm told she's kind of crunchy too so i'm hoping she'll be a good advocate.
so...any suggestions for getting this young'n dialated and effaced at all to avoid all the medical intervention?

Thank you!

Jill,
: Wife to Steven, step-mom to Peter, mom to Noah, Oliver, Linus, and 2 in heaven.
#2 of 8 Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM

Speaking from experience... both my kids just needed to go to 42 weeks. Pretty much on the dot. Fortunately for me I was with care that wouldn't induce until 42 weeks, so they just squeaked out right before the induction buzzer

See if you can convince them to wait until 42 weeks to buy her more time. As long as everything is fine, there's no reason to go with an induction before then.

Then, sex (semen is a natural prostoglandin), lots and lots of walking, spicy foods, hands and knees arching and flexing the back, a good night of dancing with lots of hip wiggling...

Also, just before the induction, have the OB (gently) sweep her membranes. Blood on the glove is a good sign when they do this, so tell her not to freak out if that's what she sees.

Maybe some professionals can give some more concrete advice...
#3 of 8 Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 PM

sounds like she needs another week or two. tell her to do herself a favor and not show up for the next visit! Don't even go near the doctor until 42 weeks, that way if they want to induce, they'll have to schedule in a few days!

Easier said than done, most women just blindly do what they'll told, but an induction with nothing going on is going to be long, painful, result in an epidural and then most likely a c=section, that's the way they normally happen!
#4 of 8 Old 03-06-2008, 02:42 PM

it is a good idea to avoid the biophysical profiles as well--they are largely inconclusive adn inaccurate and can be interpreted either way. in many cases they are a very fast move towards an emergency c-section without any reason for it.

remind her that the average length of first pregnancy is 41 weeks 3 days, and that 40 weeks is a completely arbitrary number!
#5 of 8 Old 03-06-2008, 02:50 PM

Totally normal. Remember that first babies AVERAGE around 41 and a half weeks gestation.

-Angela
#6 of 8 Old 03-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Her kid may need to cook longer - and it may not. My SIL went in on Monday or Tuesday (this is a couple weeks ago) - she was 39+ weeks - and was 0 cm, 0%. Saturday of that week she went into labor. Went to the hospital at 9:00 that night and was 1 cm. Went back home, tried to sleep. Went back in to the hospital at 4:00 AM and was complete - and had the baby 1.5 hours later, completely intervention free, on her due date.

Some women's cervixes change very quickly - you just never know until your body does its thing.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#7 of 8 Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean0216 View Post
Hi,
asking a ? for a friend who's niece is 19 and due tomorrow. went to dr. today, had an internal and is not dialated or effaced at all. they're starting non-stress tests tomorrow and if all remains normal, they're inducing next thursday. i've kind of befriended her thru her preg. as she wants to bf and planned to have a natural birth. she's young, and on public assistance because of no ins., so she's just a # at the clinic, and not getting very personal care. i'm sure they'd flip out if she walked in with a birth plan! her mom arrives from CA tomorrow. i don't know her, but i'm told she's kind of crunchy too so i'm hoping she'll be a good advocate.
so...any suggestions for getting this young'n dialated and effaced at all to avoid all the medical intervention?

Thank you!
This has nothing to do with dilating and effacing, but let her know there is a volunteer doula program through the Center for the Childbearing Year program in Ann Arbor. They have free doula services for low income moms. It sounds like this could be very beneficial for her.
www.center4cby.com
If for some reason they can't get a doula for her this quick, PM me and I'd be willing to talk and try to work something out with her.

Christa
#8 of 8 Old 03-09-2008, 09:53 AM

I would never induce just for being past my due date (AVERAGE is 41 weeks and a day!), and I would have to have a real medical reason to try to induce on an unfavorable cervix. It is very likely if she induces she'll end up with a c-section. Google Bishop's Score and send it to her.

I was basically not dilated or effaced at all at 39 weeks with my 1st. When I arrived at the hospital, 15 hours after PROM, 41 weeks and 4 days, I was the same dilation as I'd been at 39 weeks. 12.5 hours later or so, my daughter was born vaginally. It sounds like she has no made a wise choice in care provider. If she's open to information you might want to mention that it's never too late to switch, but if she can't find anyone to take her, she can still decline an induction. 42 weeks is still NORMAL.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page