some encouragement needed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-06-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have wanted to me a homebirth midwife since i was seven years old. when i was younger, i assumed you must be a mother to be a midwife, so i naively didn't pursue looking into doing this when i was with out family responsibilities . when i got older, and was already immersed in finishing college, i met a midwife who told me that OF COURSE i didn't have to wait to become one...but i didn't pursue it then because i had to finish college (mostly to keep my folks off my back...i have a degree now, but what good has that done me? nothing towards the goal i have of being a midwife). then i got pregnant, and now i have a 1 year old...so i have been busy with that...
i FINALLY found someone who teaches midwifery classes locally, and i really want to start doing this...she is the woman who all the local midwives studied with before becoming apprentices...but her courses cost 1000$ a pop. and since she is not affiliated with any school, there is no financial aid program.my parents are "supportive", but i think they feel like i am just fantasizing. my dad says things like: "there is no money in that sort of work....blah blah blah". my partner and i are flat broke, and i am staying at home with my kiddo, so i am unable to make my own money, and there is no one to borrow it from.
i just feel so frusterated, like this dream i have had my whole life is never going to happen.
i need some encouragment. did anybody else face this kind of difficulty in pursuing their goal?
#2 of 4 Old 03-06-2008, 05:02 PM

Are there no MEAC schools that are distance learning?
#3 of 4 Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 AM

Hang in there! I've had the dream for a long time too and haven't even started yet (but HOPE to this fall). Your youngin is still young, so even if you had the financial means to start today, could you? My youngest is 2, and I am thinking next fall/winter when he turns three is when I will be able to leave him at all hours of the day/night to go attend births. And to make you feel a little better, my husband works on a boat where he's gone for weeks at a time, then home for weeks at a time. I still have no idea what I am going to do with my kids when my husband is gone...But, I am of the belief that things will come up and it will all work out...

So give yourself time...enjoy your baby but don't give up on your dream!
#4 of 4 Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 AM

I would look into the National College of midwifery, which is a MEAC accredited distance program and has a low tuition fee. I am just finishing up their program now and, overall, I think it is a good program, if you are a diligent, independent worker and you are able to find good preceptors. I would also look into the CNM route, for which you could get financial aid and once you are finished, you will never have to worry about being flat broke, for you'll have a nursing degree (at least that's true where I live). Check out MANA and see what info they have about routes to becoming a midwife, and good luck. I should add that I took classes with a local midwife that where the same price, and I got so much out of it. I just feel that if you are in a hurry, you should check all of your options before commiting a big chunck of money.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page