any Midwives go to Maternidad La Luz - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I was wondering if any midwives here studies at the Maternidad La Luz midwifey school? I am thinking this is where i want to do my studies but would like some first hand knowledge about the place.

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#2 of 7 Old 03-08-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#3 of 7 Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 PM

so weird to find this post, I was just looking into the same thing... anyone want to share?
I'm thinking of moving my 4 kiddos and husband down there for a year to study!
- jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#4 of 7 Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 AM

I went to MLL.

I think it is one of the best programs out there. I felt very well studied and experienced when I finished. Not only do you study the academics but you get tons of clinical expereince..more so than in many other places. Plus you get to work with several different midwives and their individual styles.

It is a really hard program...at least the intensive 13 month one that I did. 2 to 3 24hr clinic shifts and 3 full class days a week. It is physically and emotionally exhausting.

If you have children and a husband it is really something to think about...I know that sometimes it has been hard for a partner to find a job out there.

If you are taking their new extended program it means more years out there. Will your husband be able to be the care provider for the children? You will not see them much, depending upon which program you choose.

Feel free to ask more questions...good luck with your choices!
#5 of 7 Old 03-23-2008, 03:22 PM

I went to MLL! I loved my time there and felt very well prepared once I completed my training. I had no problem passing the NARM. I agree with the pp that it is a very intense program and you really won't sleep much the entire year, but you will get a lot of experience. IMO you do need to speak Spanish, at least a basic knowledge, before you go because you will be providing 99.9% of care in Spanish.
#6 of 7 Old 03-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Paige,

My Ds's name is Tobias too! Not such a common name .
#7 of 7 Old 03-23-2008, 06:53 PM

So anyone go shorter than a year? Anyone go for clinical placement? What about Advanced Midwifery Intensive or the introductory midwifery intensive?

Heather...who really wishes the MT forums were UP!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page