x-posted: ultrasounds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this pregnancy i had decided that i wasn't going to have an ultrasound unless i had any reasons (such as unexplained bleeding, measuring very large for dates, etc) that would call for one. i have researched some the possible risks of u/s and i don't think that they are routinely necessary. however, at my last midwife's appt the midwife i saw this time said basically that she would feel safer attending my birth if i had had an u/s to make sure there is no placenta previa. i told her i would do some more research and if we decided it was better to do an u/s that we would wait until at least 32 weeks to have it done.

i have already done a little bit of research and what i have come up with is that the prevalence of placenta previa is 0.5% and the risks of having asymptomatic placenta previa is only 2% of that 0.5%. i have also read that when the woman goes into labor and has placenta previa it can usually be distinguished by gushes/spurts of dark red blood. the midwife voiced her concern to me that if a woman was in labor and having a little more bleeding than is normal with typical "show" and the woman hadn't had an u/s ruling out placenta previa that this would mean an automatic hospital transfer. if an u/s had already ruled out placenta previa then she would take a watch and wait approach. my concern is that asymptomatic placenta previa doesn't seem common enough to warrant me having an u/s, but now i feel almost like i'm kinda being scared into thinking i should get one "to be on the safe side."

thoughts? midwives, do you recommend your mothers with no risk factors to have a routine ultrasound anyways? why or why not?

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a baby in 2005 with a midwife. I told her up front that I did not want an ultrasound unless she thought something might be wrong. She was perfectly fine with that and never brought it up. My baby was born at home with no problems. I am now a senior midwife student and the midwife I am apprenticing under does not require her clients to have an ultrasound unless they want one or she thinks there may be a problem.

Lisa

User Tag List