Best herbs for cutting off PPH - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-10-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone!

So I am getting pretty down to the wire here.. with gathering the last of our birth supplies. I wanted to know..

What herbs/tinctures do you prefer for cutting off PPH? What do you feel are the benefits above using one over the other?

I know a lot of women tend to recommend Shepards purse.. and I also know a few who prefer to use cinnamon instead.

A penny for your thoughts?
#2 of 4 Old 03-10-2008, 12:55 PM

Not speaking from experience.....but I have a "required reading book" called Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Years that says:

Midwives who give 10 drops of Motherswort tincture to every mother after the baby is born claim that it totally prevents hemorrhage.

I also found a tincture recipe:

1 part fresh Blue Cohosh roots
1 part fresh Shepherd's Purse herb
1 part fresh Motherwort leaves and stalk
100 proof vodka or grain alcohol

I guess it takes a few weeks for the tincture to be ready so I guess that wouldn't help you now....perhaps in the future though!?

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#3 of 4 Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 AM

I like Blue Cohosh tincture (which is available here at the health food store), for use before placenta is born --and only IF there are signs of problems.

And I like Shepherd's Purse tincture as well (also available at some health food stores) for after placenta emerges--and again only IF bleeding is uncontrolled.

But these are rarely called into play, since most often birth including placenta and uterine shrinking happens just fine on its own.
#4 of 4 Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
Not speaking from experience.....but I have a "required reading book" called Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Years that says:

Midwives who give 10 drops of Motherswort tincture to every mother after the baby is born claim that it totally prevents hemorrhage.

I also found a tincture recipe:

1 part fresh Blue Cohosh roots
1 part fresh Shepherd's Purse herb
1 part fresh Motherwort leaves and stalk
100 proof vodka or grain alcohol

I guess it takes a few weeks for the tincture to be ready so I guess that wouldn't help you now....perhaps in the future though!?

I am not so much looking for what should I use but more what other people have like to use vs the other options out there. There seems to be a bit of bouncing back and forth between what people like, so I'd really like to find out why (ancedotally!) they like ___ best over ___. My search has pretty much turned up bupkiss sooo! Here I am!

Thank you for the recipe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page