Question about "bloody show" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-12-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, my dd is now 20 months old and I only had the hospital childbirth class as preparation for labor.

So, I was in early labor for probably 24 hours (small, easy contractions). When getting into bed that night I felt a pop and ran to the bathroom. It wasn't my water, instead it was a gush of blood. Contractions started prettty hard after that and I continued to lose blood, probably like a heavy period, into the toilet. Freaked out and went to hospital immediately. Nurses said I had a lot of bloody show. 6 hours later a c/s and dr said he noticed some calcification on my placenta? Said it was old???

I thought bloody show was like wiping and seeing blood, not leaking blood. What is classified as bloody show? When is it enough to cause concern, vs. normal? I want to be a lot more educated for next time around.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#2 of 5 Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Hmmm, I thought the opposite cuz this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
I thought bloody show was like wiping and seeing blood

...I've been having for days now. I thought "blody show" would be alot more significant than that.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 5 Old 03-12-2008, 03:11 PM

Sometimes it can trickle. Have you had any procedures done on your cervix? Dilating with scar tissue can sometimes result in more blood.
#4 of 5 Old 03-12-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
Sometimes it can trickle. Have you had any procedures done on your cervix? Dilating with scar tissue can sometimes result in more blood.
Nope, no procedures done, except for the standard pap smears and vaginal exams (I think my membranes were stripped).

Also, I was a 4-5 at my appointment before early labor and I think I had pretty slow and steady dilation. Was a 6 at arrival at hospital and a 9 when decision to cut was made (5 hours). Too slow dilation for hospital, but seemed fine to me.

I also thought it was most common during transition. Don't know if I experienced that although I did throw-up soon after arrival at the hospital. However, the labor was manageable pain-wise but exhausting.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#5 of 5 Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I thought blood streaked mucus was typical bloody show, I had mucus w/o blood before labor and a bit of blood in labor. Sounds like your capillaries in your cervix busted more than normal, but little enough to not be a problem.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page