Birth Ended in C-Section and Client doesn't want to pay half.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-22-2008, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I am sort of speaking from the other side as a someone who had a doula and had a c-section.
I had already paid her in full by 36 weeks or so (I don't remember what was in the contract, but we had the money and I wanted to clear it up).
I was told by my midwife (CNM within a doctors practice, I think she was just following protocol) over the phone that I had grown my baby too big and I needed a c-section and they would be calling me back to arrange it. I called up my doula in tears. She did send me some info on ACOG guidelines about fetal macrosomia. I went to an appointment with one of hte doctors to find out why I needed a c=section. I wish I would have asked my doula to go with me (I think now that is outside certain doula's scope of work). I got talked into a scheduled c-section. We scheduled it for monday, and I hoped that the baby would come out over the weekend (I was supposedly past due). My doula kept in touch, but did not attend the c-section. I don't remember if I told her not to bother, but I certainly didn't ask her to be there, I didn't think that was within the scope of a doula. It would have been nice to have her there. She could have held my hand when DH left with the baby.
On her own she partially refunded my money. I did not ask her, that was not my main concern at all.
She never did any post natal visits (I think she was flaking on those at the time, I know she flaked on a friend of mine who had her baby the same weekend, we used same midwife, doula, and hypnobirthing class, that's how we became friends). I went to visit her a few months after DD was born.

I think your client is being unreasonable to not pay you, you definitely tried to be there.

What was written in your contract???
#32 of 35 Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlewomyn View Post
Well, I am sort of speaking from the other side as a someone who had a doula and had a c-section.
I had already paid her in full by 36 weeks or so (I don't remember what was in the contract, but we had the money and I wanted to clear it up).
I was told by my midwife (CNM within a doctors practice, I think she was just following protocol) over the phone that I had grown my baby too big and I needed a c-section and they would be calling me back to arrange it. I called up my doula in tears. She did send me some info on ACOG guidelines about fetal macrosomia. I went to an appointment with one of hte doctors to find out why I needed a c=section. I wish I would have asked my doula to go with me (I think now that is outside certain doula's scope of work). I got talked into a scheduled c-section. We scheduled it for monday, and I hoped that the baby would come out over the weekend (I was supposedly past due). My doula kept in touch, but did not attend the c-section. I don't remember if I told her not to bother, but I certainly didn't ask her to be there, I didn't think that was within the scope of a doula. It would have been nice to have her there. She could have held my hand when DH left with the baby.
On her own she partially refunded my money. I did not ask her, that was not my main concern at all.
She never did any post natal visits (I think she was flaking on those at the time, I know she flaked on a friend of mine who had her baby the same weekend, we used same midwife, doula, and hypnobirthing class, that's how we became friends). I went to visit her a few months after DD was born.

I think your client is being unreasonable to not pay you, you definitely tried to be there.

What was written in your contract???
Wow, I am so sorry that your doula wasn't there for you. I hate to say it, but it sounds like she wasn't doing her job!! If I have a family that is having a cesarean I will be there - if I cannot come into the surgical suite then I am waiting in the room or recovery room for her (depending on which room she is coming back to) and I assist in that area and then I do postpartum visit(s).

If your doula flaked on another mother that weekend I wonder if she had something going on and wonder why she didn't send a back up.
#33 of 35 Old 03-23-2008, 09:01 PM

I haven't read all of the responses, so forgive me if I repeat something. But, no I would not allow a client to only pay half when they had a c-section birth. My contract makes it clear that I expect payment by 37 weeks and that the only reason for refunds is if I don't make the birth through a fault of my own. I go over my contract with clients at the time that they hire me, and often at the initial interview, if they ask. If they don't pay me, I don't go to their birth unless they have worked something alternatively out with me beforehand.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
#34 of 35 Old 03-24-2008, 03:42 PM

I haven't read all the responses here, so apologies if I'm duplicating.

I've used a doula once, and am now a newish one myself, and for myself and my clients have always had a contract that stated what the payment arrangement would be in the event of a cesarean delivery.

Generally, if the woman does not call because she "changed her mind," full payment would still be owed. However, I think we can all agree that support after a cesarean isn't usually to the extent that it would be during a natural labor and birth, so many doulas I know offer a certain number of hours (usually 8) of postpartum support in lieu of labor support. I.e., the mom can choose what you did for her or postpartum support.

I do think it's a problem that this was not in your contract. Because of that, your best option now might be to let it go and make a plan to ensure that that particular thing is never unclear to a client again.

Good luck!
#35 of 35 Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972momma View Post
However, I think we can all agree that support after a cesarean isn't usually to the extent that it would be during a natural labor and birth, so many doulas I know offer a certain number of hours (usually 8) of postpartum support in lieu of labor support. I.e., the mom can choose what you did for her or postpartum support.
I actually wholeheartedly disagree. I put way more effort and time into my c-section moms than my natural birth mamas. Much more postpartum follow up and usually much more to deal with postpartum than my natural birth moms. Those births are harder on the moms and on me.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page