Postpartum doulas, some questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking about becoming a pp doula. I am really drawn to mothering the mother and giving her time with her baby (or not if she wants) so I can do some things around the house for her.

Trouble is, it is hard to find convienient training. Is there anything online? Most of the conferences are really far away from me and not cost effective I think. I am in Louisiana.

What do like best about being a pp doula? Least? Are you also a doula? For now I am only thinking of being a pp doula, but honestly, I just don't know if I could work in a hospital setting also. It would be too upsetting for me. But I could change my mind tomorrow!

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :
#2 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 PM

You could look into ChildBirth International. They offer online trainings and I know the PP doula courses are available now. Thye have payment plans and such I believe.

I am a labor and PP doula and what I like the best is offering one woman both services. I love being able to do 2 weeks of pp with a mom who I was with through labor.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#3 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Do y'all think there is a downside to only being a pp doula? Do you think clients expect you to be both?

Also, if you are a pp doula, how did you know there would be a market for your services?

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :
#4 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 PM

I don't think clients expect you to be both, so no worries there. As for a market - are there other pp doulas in your area now? Are there women having babies?

Dewi (her mdc name) has been a pp doula for 18 years, she'd be a great resource for you to chat with!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#5 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 11:29 PM

Birth Arts has a distance ed postpartum program.
#6 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 11:41 PM

Well, if you really want to do this, you should talk to the labor doulas in your area and work out a plan.
#7 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 PM

I think CAPPA offers a distance pp doula course.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#8 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 PM

There are some distance trainings out there, but in all honesty the distance trainings I have taken just are not as good as the in person ones where you can have the interaction of the group, learn from one another, ask questions, etc.

As far as what I like about being a postpartum doula - I like being able to work with new families and ease that transition. What I like least is that the work isn't available as much as I would like to work. I am also a labor doula
#9 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 PM

Hi jenny, hey B'klyn Doula!

All the certification programs are home study, with reading and attending local LLL meetings, observing a series of childbirth classes, doing a evidenced based professional breastfeeding training course work on line, those are all local things, then you do the few day workshop (that comes after the home study part in most certifications).

Not to sound like a dinosaur but I'm doula longer then certification has existed!
So you don't necessarily need to be certified to hold you back.
Just start! Call up local doula service and ask if they will hire you while you are studying to get certified!

Being a mother who breastfed is the right start for being a postpartum doula (you don't need special training to be encouraging, thoughtful, kind, and know how to listen and not judge, you also are already experienced enough to teach someone how to diaper, bath or sooth a newborn, cook, food shop and do laundry!!!). Learning and supporting evidenced based breastfeeding management is what makes this work truly rewarding, and watching a new family grow and blossom within a couple of weeks.

I was a childbirth educator and a trained Lactation Consultant before, but I did get certified through DONA a few years ago, and before that I was certified by the DONA predecessor (which is now defunct), NAPCS National Association of Postpartum care Services.

I used to be anti doula certification, but i have changed my position in recent years to believe it has value for women to be certified if you are not involved in the birth community also doing something else (lactation consultant, LLLL or childbirth educator, midwife).

I'm partial to DONA, you can go to the website www.dona.org and start the process by looking at the reading list and start reading! Many of the books on the list are only a few dollars or less used on Amazon.

Good luck.

Dew
#10 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Thanks for asking this...

And WOW dewi--that's some great info!

Proud Mom of 3 Boys expecting boy #4 June 2012 - Founder of Dinker & Giggles - http://DinkerAndGiggles.com
Doula - Babywearing Activist - Lactation & Childbirth Educator [In-Training]

#11 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybean0722 View Post
I am thinking about becoming a pp doula. I am really drawn to mothering the mother and giving her time with her baby (or not if she wants) so I can do some things around the house for her.

Trouble is, it is hard to find convienient training. Is there anything online? Most of the conferences are really far away from me and not cost effective I think. I am in Louisiana.

What do like best about being a pp doula? Least? Are you also a doula? For now I am only thinking of being a pp doula, but honestly, I just don't know if I could work in a hospital setting also. It would be too upsetting for me. But I could change my mind tomorrow!
I haven't read the other responses yet but there is a DONA training in NOLA in September. Here is the info:
US - Louisiana, New Orleans

Workshop Type:
Postpartum Doula Workshop

Trainers:
Debbie Young

Dates:
September 27, 2008

September 28, 2008

September 29, 2008

Debbie Young 563-370-4360 or 866-941-5222
Debbie@BabyMatters.org

What I like best is being able to nurture new parents, help them find their way. I also love babies
What I find most challenging is working with people who I completely disagree with their parenting techniques but b/c I am a doula I still support them. That is very very hard. I do set some limits of course. I could never work for a family that used physical punishment of did CIO but even other issues are hard for me like circ, formula feeding, tons of vaxes,etc.

I do love my job very very much and can't imagine doing anything else. I do not do birth work, no desire.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#12 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybean0722 View Post
Do y'all think there is a downside to only being a pp doula? Do you think clients expect you to be both?

Also, if you are a pp doula, how did you know there would be a market for your services?
I created a market in my community, I live in the middle of nowhere. I spent 6 months introducing the words postpartum doula to the area that I live and now I book up months in advance.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#13 of 13 Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM

I also have been a postpartum doula longer than there was certification.
I first became a childbirth educator through ALACE, which at the time was called Informed Homebirth! and did their labor doula training as well. I started doing pp in the early 90's as my kids were small and it was difficult to go to births. it seemed to work into our schedule better.
I have always been a nurturing person, love babies and also love to cook. I bf both my kids. I know this is controversal, but i really believe that you need to be a mother yourself to be a pp doula. I think it gives you the sensitivity to understand what the new mom is going through and help her to transition into her new role.
I recently did a lactation training through CAPPA, as i wanted to get more up to date information about breastfeeding, which I find that I do so much bf support, way more then when i first started. women seem to need more help, especially women that had medicated births.
I am not certified, and i dont think its necessary if you want to start working. if it gives you more confidence to be certified then go for it.
no one has ever asked me if i was certified.
network with other doulas in your area, especially the very busy labor support doulas, and childbirth educators. I am starting to get referals from the lacatation consultants at a local hospital.
good luck on your path!

labor & postpartum doula, mom to sky & ben

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page