Before we TTC for #2. I really need to get over the trauma of my ds's birth. I don't know who to blame if there is anyone to blame.
I had a lot of support and a great birth plan. I am a doula, I had a doula,Dh my sister and my mom has 32 of birth experience (l&D) nurse now IBCLC.
I birthed at a birth center adjacent to a hospital and was almost 41 weeks at the birth. Before going into the birth we new ds had a heart arrythemia that was most likley nothing. We had a level two ultra sound by one of the best pediatric cardio guys in the country and gave the birth center birth a go, something that some of the midwives did not agree with but we won. Or did we? We did agree to staying at the hospital after the birth so they could observe ds and give him a ekg and and a ultrasound. Originally we were goin to go home a couple hours after the birth.
The night before I walked about five miles. When I got home I was exhausted and fell asleep without eating dinner. I awoke briefly felt strange, drank some h20 and ate a hunk of wheet bread and went to bed.
At 4:30 am I thought I felt a pop and a trickle but now looking back I think it was just the rest of my mucous plug (they rest had come out the day before). My contactions started right away and were steady from the get go.
At about 8am I started to vomit this continued through out the morning. I did not have a tub and really wanted to labor inthe birth pool so we went to the birth center early (probably a big mistake but not sure). The midwife asked permission to check me as I had a leep procedure a year and a half before and had scar tissue they knew I could get stuck around two. I was three. This was at 10:30 am I got in the tub and labored felt great.
My h20 probably broke about 12 or 1pm. Then I started to into transition. I vomitted with each contraction fron that point on (mostly dry heaves)
I got out of the tub because nothing felt right and was 10 with a lip at 4. Midwife had me push and the lip was gone with no swelling by 5:30 they were ready to catch and realised it was all caput. I continued to breath ds I really never pushed until they mentioned transfering.
Around 6:45 after pushing in every possible positin they had me push on my back. Ds did start to come out. The MW had been trying to feed me all day to giv eme strength but I oculd not keep down anything. They offered me some IV fluid as I was ready to give up.
They thought my uretheral divertticulum might be obstructing ds''s passgae so they clean catch Cathed me. ARGHHAfter a half hour on fluid and three hours in Stage 2 The head MW came in and said I had gone past the time limit and that I needed pit. The Dr. on call thought I may need a cs. I did not want either. My mother who did not want to see me get any interventions looked me in the eye and said my contractions were blah and they really were not helping me she also thought ds was asynclinic as I had horrible back labor (I did receive sterile h20 papules, oh the pain, but they did work)
So they gave me twenty more minutes and they trans me and gave me pit. I really had nothing in me. I just could not get him out. After almost a hour ds finally arived no cs,no epis. no forceps or vacum, He was very blue and not breathing but alert. He was 7 pounds five ounces and had 13 3/4 head with caput like the devils tower. I had a couple tiny labia tear but no bad at all. Poor ds was in second stage so long he ahd a severe hematoma that was bleeding from the outside and sounded like a little lamb.
They whisked him away and deep suctioned because he had a stridor. His apgars were 4, 5 and 9. I was not able to hold him for eight hours or nurse him for 14. It killed me. My firts BF experience were with a pump. This was the worst part of the whole birth.
Can you please help me understand what went wrong and what I can do to prevent this again. Most people say I would have ended up with a cs if I was anyone else. The two midwives who were with me all had HB and were HB midwives in their prior lives said if I was a HB transfer I would have been cs no ?? asked. I can fill in any info if need be. Again thank you for taking the time to help me process this.