Aspiring midwife - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've looked at some MEAC accredited schools, and I found this class. So I just wanted to get opinions on the classes' syllabus and reading list. TIA

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 PM

I've never heard of this one, i would be interested in hearing from others who might have done it, seems kind of expensive. Is it MEAC approved?
#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Not MEAC approved, I found it on accident after I decided I'd go ahead and apply to MCU. I think the 07-08 was the first time they did the class but I'm not sure. I'd still have to do the PEP. I thought the $1750 seemed pretty resonable compared to the $25,000 I'd end up paying at MCU.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014

#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2008, 03:17 PM

TBH, the fact that these are posted as DOC files is an immediate turn-off for me. I'm not finding any information on her site related that is not in a DOC file, and I'm not about to open a DOC file from someone I don't know.

Have you looked into AAMI? A bit more pricey, and you'd still have to do PEP, but nowhere near the price of the MEAC schools.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingmama05 View Post
So I've looked at some MEAC accredited schools, and I found this class. So I just wanted to get opinions on the classes' syllabus and reading list. TIA
I'm acquainted with Sena. It's a study group, not a school and it's a good start at giving you the basics to go on and be an assistant to midwives and further as a student and apprentice.

Doing the MEAC program made sense for me while in Colorado since the midwives who precepted PEP students didn't seem to have a uniform expectation of the educational process (varied among midwives) which was frustrating for me since I like to start at A and get to Z with plan.

You have probably found out there are no schools in Colorado other than the UCHSC's CNM program. I was enrolled in National College of Midwifery (MEAC accredited) and did my apprenticeship and later internship with Tracy Ryan (before she had the birth center). I practiced from my home office in Littleton for a year after my graduation and moved back to California last summer.
#6 of 6 Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwife Kris View Post
I'm acquainted with Sena. It's a study group, not a school and it's a good start at giving you the basics to go on and be an assistant to midwives and further as a student and apprentice.

Doing the MEAC program made sense for me while in Colorado since the midwives who precepted PEP students didn't seem to have a uniform expectation of the educational process (varied among midwives) which was frustrating for me since I like to start at A and get to Z with plan.

You have probably found out there are no schools in Colorado other than the UCHSC's CNM program. I was enrolled in National College of Midwifery (MEAC accredited) and did my apprenticeship and later internship with Tracy Ryan (before she had the birth center). I practiced from my home office in Littleton for a year after my graduation and moved back to California last summer.
I appreicate the info! I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and do it, everyone needs to start somewhere. I still want an ASM but right now it doesn't seem realistic for me. We'll see where the road takes me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page