Fibroids & VBAC Advice - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 32 weeks pregnant and planning a VBAC. I had an ultrasound yesterday to monitor my fibroids and I have one very large fibroid totally blocking my birth canal and shoving everything out of whack. Even I could see that there was nothing good about it. I haven't spoken to my doctor yet, but I'd like to know what the pros here think. Is a VBAC still a possibility for me? What should I ask/say to my doctor?

Also my baby is still head up. When should she turn and how can I encourage her?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-19-2008, 05:39 PM

My doula partner had a large fibroid in a similar position before her second birth. Her CNM and even the overseeing physician told her that it may move out of the way in labor, and that there was no reason to automatically assume that a c-section was necessary.

She did end up with a c-section, though, due to an abrupted placenta. But that was never suggested to be related to the fibroid (placenta was attached at a totally different part of the uterus from the fibroid).
#3 of 5 Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM

:bump

I am just starting a search on this too. Does anyone have experiences to share or resources to link?

(My VBAC client just found she also has a low lying fibroid.)

#4 of 5 Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM

I have never seen a successful vaginal delivery for a fibroid that is "totally blocking the birth canal". I'm sorry, because I know that is probably not what you want to hear. Your baby may be breech due to the position of the fibroid.

Good luck with your pregnancy and birth.
#5 of 5 Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 PM

Dr. Christine Northrup has some very interesting ideas about fibroids. Here are her thoughts on phytoestrogen.
http://www.drnorthrup.com/womensheal...hp?topic_id=64

Quote:
Fibroid growth is stimulated by estrogen,...]
Quote:
Nearly all women can benefit from taking phytoestrogens—plant-based hormones found in soy and flaxseed. Not only are phytoestrogens a safe alternative to synthetic hormones, these phytoestrogen-rich foods decrease the effects of estrogen levels naturally by blocking the estrogen receptors on the cells in fibroids and other estrogen-sensitive tissues. Studies have shown that eating soy and flax helps the body produce smaller amounts of unhealthy estrogens. Flaxseed is high in both fiber and omega-3 fats, which help reduce inflammation and tumor growth throughout the body and rid the body of toxins, including excess estrogen.
Has anyone seen fibroids shrink or disappear with dietary changes?

Would using homeopathy or acupuncture to shrink fibroids be appropriate use during pregnancy?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page