supra urethral tear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-23-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My client gave birth this morning at 5:11 am (she was amazing) and she has a healthy, beautiful little baby. She came very quickly and left mom with a "small jagged tear inside" and a "supra urethral tear" that the midwife repaired (for 45 minuites).

Had I not been exhausted and bleary, I would have asked the midwife more about the particular issues with her tears when I chatted with her before leaving. I forgot to and now I am wondering about this urethral tear and what risks/recovery issues/concerns/etc it might pose. I am also doing postpartum work with this mom, so I'd like to know more about the specifics of the damage that she is dealing with. Can any of the CNMs of CPMs here (or a doula who has done this or a person who has had this!) describe what this means (the super part) and what it might be useful to know when helping her.

Thanks in advance!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#2 of 3 Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 PM

I'm assuming you mean supra (not "super") urethral tear- ie above the urethra? In this case the tear would be anterior to the urethra and not through it. Peri care would be the same for other tears-ice initially for swelling/pain, peri bottle, sitz baths, etc.

Having been the recipient of a periurethral tear (repaired) with one of my children, I can say from experience that urinating will be uncomfortable for a few days. The peri bottle/sitz baths will be very soothing. Other than routine care and watching for any signs of a UTI, there isn't much else to do unless I misunderstood your post and she had significant tearing completely through the urethra.
#3 of 3 Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

hum. I changed it to supra but I'm not sure. The MW said the tear was through the urethra but then later dictted for the chart what sounded like super but was perhaps supra. Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. Types of tears are clearly not my specialty!

Megan

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page