more aspiring midwife questions - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, so I've searched and searched (here and elsewhere) but I can't seem to find an answer to a few things.

I am 98% sure at this point I want to become a CPM/LM (as opposed to going the nursing route and becoming a CNM) and have been researching MEAC schools for quite some time. I am pretty sure as to which programs I am interested in and such and am now trying to work out a financial plan for completing my course of study/apprenticeship. So here's my question:

All of the distance programs mention that payment to your preceptor is arranged by the student and midwife (etc.), but how much does one generally pay a preceptor? I realize these things can vary quite a bit (and I do live in a city with a very high cost of living, so will adjust accordingly) but is there a ballpark range?

I apologize if this question has already been broached, but I just couldn't find it anywhere.

California
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
loving her Minnesota
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and expecting
in November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-25-2008, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't pay my preceptor anything (in fact...she pays me!). I have heard of apprentices paying their preceptor, but those situations seem to be the minority of cases.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#3 of 17 Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
I don't pay my preceptor anything (in fact...she pays me!). I have heard of apprentices paying their preceptor, but those situations seem to be the minority of cases.
This is me also. I don't pay my preceptor, she pays me. Not a lot, but a little to offset my gas expenses.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.

#4 of 17 Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

That is sort of what I thought, but with it always being mentioned in school FAQs, I wondered. I do realize it requires some time/work on the midwife's part though, so I could see how they may require some reimbursement.

Thanks!

California
loving her Minnesota
and expecting
in November!
#5 of 17 Old 03-25-2008, 03:23 PM

I paid my preceptor the suggested fee because I was going to school (National College of Midwifery) and she was my private instructor.
#6 of 17 Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 PM

I didn't pay my preceptors, and now I have an apprentice and do not pay her.

I believe it depends on what you arrange with your preceptor, and what may have occurred in the past with her (him).

Best to you on your path,
L
#7 of 17 Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 PM

I did not have to pay my preceptor either. She did not pay me until I became more helpful to her and acquired more skills. She'd pay me to do pp visits, prenatals, eventually assisting at births. I also enrolled in NCM (Nat'l College of Midwifery) and thye said said it was fine- if that was our mutual agreement.

Jessica- mom to four boys ,, midwife
#8 of 17 Old 03-26-2008, 12:15 AM

I am thinking of applying at the National College of Midwifery and have wondered about this as well. The midwife I want to apprentice with thought it was bizarre that that was even brought up. She said that's part of being a midwife, a tradition of teaching/apprenticeship.

It's good to know that the college is ok if there is no fee arranged. Thanks for asking a question I had wondered about too!
#9 of 17 Old 03-26-2008, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

I've narrowed it down to National College of Midwifery as my #1 choice too. It's nice to see there are others who have gone through the program (I hadn't seen it mentioned very often here before).

Midwife Kris: Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I've never seen a suggested fee on the schools site, just a notice that preceptor fees are arranged between student and midwife.

California
loving her Minnesota
and expecting
in November!
#10 of 17 Old 03-26-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidoscopeeyes View Post
Midwife Kris: Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I've never seen a suggested fee on the schools site, just a notice that preceptor fees are arranged between student and midwife.
It's in the ASM Handbook on page 31. I paid $6000.00 plus the administrative fee (about $3500 in '03), plus MEAC fees (now included in the admin fee; was about $250 per year), books and supplies. I had considered a fee-free apprenticeship based on trade early on in my application process but chose another preceptor and together we decided to use money instead of my time for hers. Neither of us wanted the waters to get muddy and assign professional value to personal time. We both felt better placing a monetary value on the process, which also eliminates the emotional quotient. My "dues" were in money, not in "hazing" or "scut work". We both had seen where the best of intentions for trades ended up with one or both parties either feeling like they had or actually been taken advantage of in the process. This is why even if you are going to trade 5 marbles for every minute of education it has to be spelled out in your student-preceptor contract. This way if you fail to produce the marbles or your preceptor fails to produce the education you have recourse that can be arbitrated through NCM.
#11 of 17 Old 03-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Ok, this question is going to reflect how I am really am in the beginning stages of embarking on this journey, but...basically, how does all this work? I had assumed that I am paying NCM (or whatever school) for the coursework, assignments, tests, whatever. And then my apprenticeship would be hands on learning, just gaining experience, being a helper, and that my preceptor would be my guide and available for questions. But reading the last post, I am beginning to wonder how much do preceptors really do? What is their time commitment-do they "grade" assignments? Are they very involved in the coursework? And what is the relationship between the student and preceptor? What do you mean by the "hazing" and "scut work"?

Lots to think about...lots more for me to still research and learn!
#12 of 17 Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post
Ok, this question is going to reflect how I am really am in the beginning stages of embarking on this journey, but...
We all start somewhere

Quote:
I had assumed that I am paying NCM (or whatever school) for the coursework, assignments, tests, whatever.
You are paying NCM for the modules of coursework (and some resources), practice tests, administrative functions ranging from verifying your application, your preceptor's credentials and qualifications to teach you, evaluating and approving (or not) each course syllabus per trimester, logging your grades, providing academic counseling, being the MEAC and NARM liaisons, to providing skills verification and test readiness to NARM and providing your state with official transcripts to verify your grad status for licensing.

Quote:
And then my apprenticeship would be hands on learning, just gaining experience, being a helper, and that my preceptor would be my guide and available for questions. But reading the last post, I am beginning to wonder how much do preceptors really do? What is their time commitment-do they "grade" assignments? Are they very involved in the coursework?
The College is going to provide you with a set of study modules to cover the MANA Core Competencies but it is up to you and your preceptor to design how you will learn the material and demonstrate competency. This might be done through using the modules as "home work" and writing papers, presenting oral reports, a project, taking quizzes, tests, etc. as assigned and composed by the preceptor. This is school and the preceptor should consider herself the course instructor and be ready to teach just as any other college instructor would when you show up for biology 101.

The preceptor's responsibility is also to provide you with hands-on learning, experience, be available to answer your questions, and to evaluate your progress by assigning your grades per subject and submitting them to the College for your transcript. You are expected to have one-on-one time scheduled weekly if you are not already seeing your preceptor in a "clinical" setting regularly.

Some students have just one preceptor who does it all. Some have preceptors who oversee the academic portion and preceptors who oversee the clinic portion. It's up to you to find the preceptor(s) who will best fit your needs and one who is seriously committed to helping you reach your goal.

Think of NCM as your community college: You pay the office fees to go to the school, then you sign up for classes with the faculty teachers. The office doesn't get involved in the classroom and the teachers don't get involved in administration but they work together to oversee your education. Many people think that a MEAC school is just the academic portion but it's not, it's both. You don't sign up for a MEAC school and then go somewhere else to find the classroom and teachers.

Quote:
What do you mean by the "hazing" and "scut work"?
Being required to hang around the practice for an undefined amount of time, emptying trash/cleaning the office, filing papers, etc. I understand as a "volunteer" those might be good ways of getting to know a practice and getting an idea if you will fit there but it's also free service to the practice without a reciprocal commitment. IMHO if you are committed to your education and have paid me a boatload of money to oversee it we will bypass the part where you bask in my glow while seated at my feet I am more interested in your education than I am perpetuating the dues-paying tradition of apprenticeship training.
#13 of 17 Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 AM

Midwife Kris,

Thanks for the response, that really helped clarify things for me. I really had no idea that my preceptor would do so much. I can understand why it is suggested to pay them, both for them and for yourself...

For those of you that did not pay your preceptor, did you have any troubles? Did you feel she was any more/less committed to your education? Etc. etc.

Thanks!
#14 of 17 Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post
Midwife Kris,

Thanks for the response, that really helped clarify things for me. I really had no idea that my preceptor would do so much.
You're welcome-- and now I have to ask: What did you imagine the preceptor would do? I'd love to hear what you envision it is all about when you are laying awake at night planning your future.

Quote:
I can understand why it is suggested to pay them, both for them and for yourself...
You (the general you of course!) will be riding on her credential and license throughout your education (a huge legal and professional risk), you will be an extension and representation of her practice and reputation in the community, and you'll be practicing (literally) on her clients... money buys supplies, advertising, instruments, gas, insurance, billers, pays the rent, etc.
#15 of 17 Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 AM

I thought I would do a lot of shadowing her, being a second set of hands, and bounce questions off of her. Boy was I wrong huh? I have been sitting on this dream for a long time, and the midwife (the ONLY hb midwife w/in 70 miles) I talked to about this was very open to me apprenticing with her when I first broached the subject. But that was a year and a half ago. I am actually meeting with her next week to pick her brain some more, so I am making my list of questions...
#16 of 17 Old 03-27-2008, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to say that I paid $100 a month to do scut work and be hazed!

But I got what I wanted: a TON of clinical experience.
#17 of 17 Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
I just wanted to say that I paid $100 a month to do scut work and be hazed!

But I got what I wanted: a TON of clinical experience.
Absolutely nothing wrong with this if it is the expectation you have and the agreement you make!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page