Question for well... everyone - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 03-25-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this idea that is stuck in my head. Abimommy has given me the ok to post this. I want to get some feedback from you wonderful MDC moms. I will be cross posting this in a couple of different places.. so if you see it else where don't be shocked.

I have an idea to create a data base of natural parenting resorces (such as midwives, doulas, cloth diapering sites, birthing centers, etc. etc.) that people can search through to find the type of service they need. what would make it different is that those who place them selves or there companies in the database would pay a small fee, which would go into a fund that would turn around and help mothers and families offset the cost of a home birth, doula services, the start up cost of cloth diapering etc. etc.

Would this be something you would use??

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Yes!
#3 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 AM

Are you talking about creating a website? If so there are lots of those out there - some charge and some don't.

I have a free website where people can list their services for free http://mdhardy.net/supportingbirth - when I first started it I had hundreds of people involved, but slowly the numbers dwindled because people forgot to renew their information every 90 days.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about or not - for me, personally I typically don't pay for my advertising because I have found it doesn't reach the people I would like it to. Plus by having people pay and saying the fund would go for services then you need to determine who qualifies and how one would apply. I think you would have many more applying for assistance then you will find money that you have to give.

#4 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 AM

It sounds like a good idea in theory, however if you are charging me to be listed I have a reasonable expectation that you will be advertising the site and paying to get a lot of traffic on the site. When a listing is free no one has that expectation

Is there a realistic amount of money available after you pay to get site traffic for you to then donate to needy families.
#5 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well the plan currently is a 90 10 split. so the majority of what is paid goes toward the fund while the remainder is stricktly site costs and advertising. I wouldn't dream of charging too much for the listing cost, but in order to receive assistance you would have to be getting services through someone listed in the database so in theory the money would come back to you.

It just was making me upset listening to alll the mothers who are fighting there insuran ce companies because they want a home birth but simply can't afford it.

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#6 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
It just was making me upset listening to alll the mothers who are fighting there insuran ce companies because they want a home birth but simply can't afford it.
Just for another side to this...I talked with a midwife earlier this week who stated that her practice was seeing a big increase in uninsured families who are choosing homebirth over hospital birth because they "simply can't afford it"

It is very upsetting, yes. Can we change it? I dunno. Personally I prefer to work with moms and dads on an individual basis and determine together their individual needs for financial assistance so they can have access to my services. A wise midwife once told me...if they want it bad enough nothing should stop them from getting the birth they want.

JMO

Heather
#7 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
which would go into a fund that would turn around and help mothers and families offset the cost of a home birth, doula services, the start up cost of cloth diapering etc. etc.

Would this be something you would use??
We have a homebirth fund in the Philly area that does 'scholarships' for homebirth families who can't afford the fees. We do fundraisers and stuff like that to raise money. Here's the website: www.risingmoonbirthfund.com

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page