advice on getting receipt & charges submitted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
LBW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - I'm hoping I can get some advice.

I had a homebirth in November. It was a great experience. One of the many, many reasons I chose to homebirth was that I *hate* dealing with my insurance company. A hospital birth would have meant months of dealing with multiple bills and insurance submissions. I thought using a midwife would mean one bill/submission from one health care provider, and thus, fewer hassles for me. (This was def. not my main reason for homebirth, but just wanted to give you some background info.)

I paid in full well before my delivery. It was a LOT of money for us - $4,000 - and I was hoping to get some of it back from insurance. I began asking my midwife for a receipt (for taxes) in one of my post partum visits - I think in January. She said her printer wasn't working, but that she'd email it to me. I waited a few days or a week, but didn't get it, so I followed up with her over the next several weeks in emails and phone calls. I also noticed that she hadn't submitted any charges to my insurance, so I also asked her to do that.

Well, my baby is now 4 months old, and I have yet to receive a receipt. She has not submitted anything to insurance. I've called repeatedly - usually leaving messages, but also speaking to her. I've also emailed. I've been really nice and understanding about it. I even asked my regular midwife (who doesn't do homebirths, but knows and recommended her) for advice and SHE talked to her about it. Still nothing.

What on earth do I do?? I'm really sad about this. I feel like she's tainting my whole experience. I have a lot of other things going on that are making me anxious and depressed, and this is only adding to my stress. It's one of several things that I worry about when I wake up at 3 a.m. and can't go back to sleep. Do I have any recourse at all? I'd try submitted to insurance myself, but I don't have anything but canceled checks!

Thanks for reading this far. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Tara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-26-2008, 02:15 PM

I am sorry you're having to deal with this!

Have you tried getting more firm and even a touch stern with this mw?

"I know you're very busy, but this is important to my finances and I need for us to finish this business. I really need you to attend to this in the coming week, so I can finalize matters with my insurance company."

It sounds like things are stressful right now. I hope that in addition to finding a way to reach her and finish this old business, you are able to find a space for yourself to relax and separate things a bit....I know when things pile up they tend to run together, but if you had a good birth, do try to keep that memory and the good feelings separate from today's stressors. Having some pleasant things to reflect upon, like your good birth, can help bring current stressors into perspective.

good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 03-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Gosh, that's hard. She has an obligation to at least give you a receipt. I guess you need to hound her about it. Did you sign any kind of financial agreement saying she would bill your insurance company?

Please don't let this "taint" your home birth experience. Your inability to get some paperwork from your midwife has nothing to do with what you experienced the day your little one was born.
#4 of 4 Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 PM

She needs a bookkeeper!
Next approach to tell her you can type up the bill yourself and she needs to give you the insurance codes to include and her tax ID or SS #.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page