Natural induction methods - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I'm getting induced on the 2nd. and I really would rather go into labor on my own before then. So I'm looking for natural ways to induce my labor first. I know baby will come when baby is ready. I have been having strong contractions but nothing that is real regular. I'm having a hard time walking because my leg keeps going numb. I attacked DH on Monday night. Man did I have contractions after that but they stoped. I have tried nipple stimulation. I really dont want to try castor oil if it could be avoided.

On Monday at my appt. I was 2cm dialated 50% effaced and baby was way down they could feel his head with no problem.

Any advice would be great tIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM

There are no sure fire ways of inducing labor (including the methods used in hospitals).

With the disclaimer that I would not agree to a scheduled induction, I would much rather do castor oil any day before prostaglandin gel or pitocin.

Are they inducing you because of your dates?

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#3 of 14 Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM

I agree with the PP that there are no sure fire tricks for getting labor going and I would avoid induction if possible. Here are some alteratives to hospital/pharma inductions (some that you have already tried).

RRL Tea
visualizations
pineapple
cumin tea
spicy food
eggplant
journaling
good cry (sad movie?)
walk
bumpy car ride
bounce on yoga ball
other physical activity
evening primrose oil
sex
orgasm (doesn't have to be intercourse)
skin to skin contact
prenatal massage
chiropractic treatment
a ton of stairs
nipple stimulation
enema
Reflexology
acupressure
acupuncture
herbs - blue/black cohosh
homeopathy - caulopyllum and cimicifuga
castor oil

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#4 of 14 Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Why are you being induced?

Good list, BrooklynDoula, I see you've done a lot of thinking on this subject! Make sure you speak to someone knowledgeable, either on here or IRL before you do herbs or castor oil etc.

Good luck mama!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to four wonderful people: dd11, dd8, ds5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and brand new dd 07/23
#5 of 14 Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 PM

Yes, I should have stated that - thanks blissful-maia. For the last three, I'd really recommend speaking with someone who knows what they are going on any of those. The list is loosely organized so that the most intense induction options are at the end.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#6 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

I'm getting induced for medical reasons and I have the start of Pre E and it's just getting worse. I still dont even want to try caster oil. SO I will stick to sex lol for now

On a good note I lost lots of my plug today no bloddy show though but still it's a start and I will take it lol
#7 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 03:08 PM

:
#8 of 14 Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 AM

Get a pedicure or foot massage--there are labor-inducing pressure points in your ankles and feet which will invariably be stimulated when your feet and calves are massaged.

Take a hot bath with 5 drops of peppermint oil in it. The bath is relaxing and the peppermint oil encourages labor.

Re: sex for induction--- three consecutive ejaculations equal one dose of prepidil or cervidil (artificial prostaglandins). After DTD 3 times (preferably with you on the bottom) lay flat with your hips elevated three inches with a pillow or something, for at least 15 minutes (preferably 30 minutes if you can handle being on your back that long). This allows the semen to bathe your cervix with prostaglandins. Then you can roll over into your normal sleep position.

As a last resort, on the afternoon of April 1st, you could try taking about 1-2 oz. of castor oil mixed with 20 drops of jasmine essential oil (mild contraction stimulant) and vigurously massage into your belly. Massage as deeply and firmly as you can without pain. This has the same effect as drinking castor oil, but you don't have to taste it, plus the jasmine oil and vigurous massage both encourage your uterus to contract.

If you end up in the hospital with an induction on the 2nd, see if you can try a foley bulb induction first. Often this will put you right into labor, without needing to use chemical means. It is quite effective.

Good luck!

Proud wife to my handsome husband
 Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths...planning another homebirth for the new belly baby, due April 16, 2015!
 Doula for 8 years and apprentice midwife for almost 3! 

#9 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post
Re: sex for induction--- three consecutive ejaculations equal one dose of prepidil or cervidil (artificial prostaglandins). After DTD 3 times (preferably with you on the bottom) lay flat with your hips elevated three inches with a pillow or something, for at least 15 minutes (preferably 30 minutes if you can handle being on your back that long). This allows the semen to bathe your cervix with prostaglandins. Then you can roll over into your normal sleep position.
Um - whose husband is capable of this? Or are we recruiting the neighbors?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#10 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
I said the same to my dh after reading this. Sounds like this would take a very special man to complete the task!

#11 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Quote:

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to four wonderful people: dd11, dd8, ds5
and brand new dd 07/23
#12 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
*giggle* I believe it's three ejacuations within a 24 hour period...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#13 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
laughup
Oh my gosh, this is one of the funniest things I've read in a while! I think even I'd take pitocin before I recruited neighbors!
#14 of 14 Old 04-01-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
laughup
Oh my gosh, this is one of the funniest things I've read in a while! I think even I'd take pitocin before I recruited neighbors!

O come on you know that guy down the street is kinda cute... ;-P

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page