Black Cohosh????? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to induce my labor to avoid a C/S next week. My OB is scheduling it for the 4th. Will black cohosh induce labor on it's own and if so how much? I have some pills, but I don't know how much to take. Any info would be helpful. TIA!!
#2 of 10 Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 PM

I used a combo of black and blue cohosh in help maintain labor with my vbac baby born just a few weeks ago...

a labor pattern started I had some issues with labor petering out so I started using blue and black in tincture form hourly until the contractions got good and strong

first hour 10 drops each
second hour 15 drops each
Third hour 20 drops each
Fourth hour 20 drops each

by then I was in good strong labor...but mind you my baby was not delivered until 30 hours later...I wonder if I had not used the cohosh if the labor would have petered out but when labor came later it would have been faster....

that said I have no regrets...I had a perfect wonderful amazing birth
#3 of 10 Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 PM

I am a firm believer in cimicifuga and caullophyllum (homeopathic blue and black cohosh) and lots and lots of breastpumping! Remember you don't have to show up for your section...you are the boss!!
#4 of 10 Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 PM

I used a tincture of blue and black cohosh to start labor with both of my kids. It's not something I discuss on here very often--it's not really popular. It worked well for me. However, I don't think capsules would work as well.
#5 of 10 Old 03-27-2008, 10:26 AM

While clearly at least some women can self induce with herbal B&B cohosh, my own experience and that of many other mws and mamas is that it is not the most reliable way to induce, and can have toxic side effects. It seems to work better to augment labor than to start it--and Blue C. works well for pph.

Castor oil would probably be better, IMO.

But what you do depends on a lot of factors...are you having any warm up labor yet? What is your history of giving birth, weeks-wise? Or, if this is your first, what about female family history--on both sides of baby's family? Because some women just take longer to cook babies, and this can run in families--and because baby is also involved in providing signals to start labor, you have to look at the father's female relatives as well.

Yes, YOU are the boss. If you don't want to be induced, simply refuse to show up for induction. It is your right. If you want to make nice with your care providers, then offer to do non-stress test and/or biophysical profile to help reassure that baby is still doing well. And then wait for nature to take it's course, which it eventually will!

good luck
#6 of 10 Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 AM

by the way, I have never heard of Black Cohosh being used alone to induce OR augment contractions. Blue Cohosh alone, yes--because Blue is an oxytocic herb, it actually promotes release of oxytocin, the hormone which causes contrax. Black Cohosh is not.
#7 of 10 Old 03-27-2008, 10:32 AM

My midwife suggested the use of black and blue cohosh to help get labor started with my last dd b/c my blood pressure was high.
I put just a couple of drops into some red raspberry leaf tea. I only had two cups over 2 hours before I was in active labor. hth

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#8 of 10 Old 03-27-2008, 01:04 PM

I used castor oil with seven of my labors. Never any mec staining and always worked. 2 oz then four hours later another 2 oz. I mix it with concentrated lemon juice, chug it, then wash my mouth out with a hot washcloth. I take it at 11am, then 3pm, then depending on the state of my cervix, have birthed by midnight.

(naking)
#9 of 10 Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseatthebeach View Post
My midwife suggested the use of black and blue cohosh to help get labor started with my last dd b/c my blood pressure was high.
I put just a couple of drops into some red raspberry leaf tea. I only had two cups over 2 hours before I was in active labor. hth
I thought black & blue cohosh could elevate BP? Is this not true? Maybe, my info is wrong since your MW suggested using this because your BP was elevated...
#10 of 10 Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
But what you do depends on a lot of factors...are you having any warm up labor yet? What is your history of giving birth, weeks-wise? Or, if this is your first, what about female family history--on both sides of baby's family? Because some women just take longer to cook babies, and this can run in families--and because baby is also involved in providing signals to start labor, you have to look at the father's female relatives as well.

I have been having prodromal labor for two weeks and I am 2cm and 50% effaced. My other three children I delivered right before or right at 40 weeks.

Where can I find the blue cohosh tincture? I didn't see it in the health store and the saleslady told me I'll probably only find it online.

I tried to drink the castor oil, but as soon as the taste hit my mouth I threw up. I did however find castor oil capsules, but how many would I need to take?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page