Positive C/S Links - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-27-2008, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I have a client who is needing to schedule a c/s (transverse lie - feet at cervix still after 2 versions and everything under the sun tried) and I am attempting to help her process it all...she is understandably having a challenging time.

I am off to google but wanted to post here because you all are such a wonderful resource...

I need links to stories about how women made their c/s an empowering experience and to c/s birth plan sites.

Thanks so much for all you do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-27-2008, 02:13 PM

Paige;

Here is a link to an article Penny Simkin wrote, on the best c/s possible

http://www.pennysimkin.com/acticles/...n_Possible.pdf

Also, if posssible, try and have your client have two support people, (you and partner would be ideal) so that partner can go to the warmer to be with the baby and someone can stay at mom's head. I have successfully gotten baby to breastfeed in the OR while mom is being repaired, when mom has wanted it...I will cut and paste here from a post where I described this for our local ican group.

"I am on mom’s left side, at her head. Unwrap baby and place baby facing down over the nipple. Baby’s head is closest to the surgery drape and their feet are hanging over mom’s shoulder, wrapping around toward the back of her neck like a stole! Hold baby’s body with my left forearm, while I hold the head with that same hand. (remember baby is practically laying on mom’s upper chest/shoulder) so it doesn’t roll off, hold the breast with the right hand (this may even end up across mom’s a bit) and attempt to latch. Baby is practically nursing upside down, (they don’t care!) and I cover baby with a warm blanket. I am in pretty tight next to mom, also using my body to keep baby there. Mom can use one hand to stroke the baby.

It is not pretty, and remember I have only done it a handful of times, but it has worked and baby seems pretty happy!"

She should check out ICAN for resources now and afterwards as well.

Good luck to your dear client!

Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#3 of 4 Old 03-27-2008, 04:07 PM

Hi Paige, I know you are out more in eastern mass but a fellow doula here is western mass has a support group for moms who have had a c-section or are planning a VBAC. The group is amazing. Jen is also usually willing to do individual visits to help moms process things. Our google group has a handout of ideas for making it a more positive experience. If you want her contact info, PM me.

From my own experience of having a c-section and helping clients through a c/s my biggest advice is anticipatory guidance and pictures. Immediately following the birth one of the hardest thing is the time the baby spends as the warmer being evaluated. When you are on the OR table your baby feels soooo far away and the room feels so big (when in actuality during my c/s he was less than 5 ft away - he felt like he was 20). My first client who had an unplanned c/s I took over 100 pictures in the OR and it helped mom so much. I could narrate everything that was being done to the baby and she was able to see it all almost as it was happening. She told me postpartum that it made an enormous difference.
#4 of 4 Old 03-28-2008, 04:14 AM

I know this sounds weird but I had a Leboyer c/s in south america. I interview a heap of OBs and found the one that was going to help me deliver my ds naturally. He was the one that was into the Leboyer thing. And to my amazement (in retrospect)... just before they took him out of my belly they dimmed the lights and he told all of the staff to hush...... they lifted him out, did a quick check then put him in a warm bath next to my head where I could put my hand on him.. I reconized his movements...he didn't cry... it was so peaceful and sweet.... Then they put him on my chest and he latched on.

At the time I was really upset that I had a c/s but now with all that I know I think it was the "best" c/s I have ever heard of.

I guess my point is that given the right doctor with the right attitude it can be a really nice birth.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page