U/S to r/o Ectopic PG - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi All,

I have tried to find this info on line but am not coming up with anything. I am at an increased risk for an ectopic. Dh and I are TTC and I am just wondering how many DPO an US can be done to see if/where the baby would be?

Thanks so very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure this will help and I am not a birth professional - not even sure I am allowed to post here, but...

When I had an ectopic pregnancy it was confirmed 25 days after my embryo transfer (IVF). Originally we were concerned because of my HCG levels and the u/s confirmed the ectopic pregnancy.
#3 of 5 Old 03-29-2008, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also did IVF and was therefore at increased risk for ectopic pregnancy. My RE's policy was to check the fallopian tubes at the 6w ultrasound (approx. 28 days after transfer, transfer being roughly equivalent to ovulation).

#4 of 5 Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
6 weeks?????

That seems like a hell of a long time to be in limbo.... I am shocked. I also didn't know IVF increased your risk of ectopic.

Thanks for the info.

DBsam, I am sorry for your loss.
#5 of 5 Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
scsigrl, I believe it relates to the size of the embryo and their ability to detect it with ultrasound. By 5 weeks (three weeks after ovulation) they can usually detect a sac and a fetal pole in the uterus, so a check then might work for you to at least know if there is a uterine pregnancy (although there could be a fallopian pregnancy that they missed because it was still quite small, as I understand it -- but for a "normal" pregnancy, i.e. not IVF, the chances of a uterine pregnancy and a fallopian pregnancy would be quite tiny, I think). They also wait until 6 weeks because if there is a uterine pregnancy they can usually see a heartbeat at that time.

If you figure that most people get a positive pregnancy test when their period is due (4 weeks), it's just a week or two afterward. But yes, those two weeks are very, very hard to wait.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page