Childbirth Int'l or DONA - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been looking into doula training for a while now - I'm aware it is not absolutely necessary to complete a formal training, but I think I would like to for myself. Can someone break down the basic comparisons between these two organizations, or any others that are out there. I don't have a lot of money, but I want something that is going to be worthwhile as well.
Thanks!

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Gracie 7/10 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:, dw Amy:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 01:08 AM

How about ALACE?
I trained with both DONA and ALACE and liked ALACE much better. Much more thorough.
#3 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 01:17 AM

Check out ALACE too. The organization used to be called "Informed Homebirth" (if that sways you in either direction).

http://www.alace.org/

I have attended both DONA and ALACE training workshops. The DONA training was conducted at a U-shaped setup of tables (like a big conference), in a hospital, whereas the ALACE training was in a yoga studio with everyone in a big circle on the floor with pillows. That kind of sums up the "feel" of each training--DONA seemed more "professional" and ALACE more "personal."

DONA is more focused on hospital birth/medical model of care, ALACE out-of-hospital/midwifery model (though of course the support skills you learn transfer and ALACE did discuss hospital procedures).

DONA requires that you complete your certification within a year of your training, but ALACE does not put a time limit on certification applications. DONA is very well known and brings in referrals more often than the ALACE credential.

Whoever you go with, I'm sure you'll enjoy the learning and hope that you enjoy doula-ing!

#4 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 01:27 AM

Personally I would not go with DONA, I never met a doula trained by them that I did not find pushy, and far to "Look at me I am DONA, what about you? O that is too bad, ever think to redo you training?"

I am doing CBI, but then again my parents are paying... all I told them is NO DONA and they picked from there...

(Iam in "labor limbo land" so please to not mind me ...)
#5 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 02:53 AM

childbirth international has a page that compares many points about the differant organizations http://www.childbirthinternational.c...la/compare.htm

I also think that it is very helpful to look at the reading list of each org. when comparing them. it tells you a lot about the focus of the training.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#6 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is also helpful to read each groups birth/doula/etc philosophy first as well. I'm biased ... I loved CBI and am so glad to have done training with them. What eventually convinced me to go with them was that it was A) by distance learning, B) focused on teaching skills not just facts, C) had an emphasis on communication.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#7 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 10:29 AM

I chose to train with DONA for the referrals and structure of the organization. It was important to me that I have hands-on, in-person training, rather than distance education.

My DONA training was held in the yoga room at a healing arts center with all of us sitting around in a big circle and a very casual, flowing model of teaching. My trainer was also a CBE and she spoke often of home birth, including a class she had just taught to three home birth couples. So the PP's experience is not the only possibility with DONA, it certainly depends on the trainer, I think.

Also, DONA allows TWO years to complete your requirements, and you may request an extension if necessary.

I thought the quality of the training was fine, but since I was already an experienced CBE and had attended births for awhile, I really just went through it as a formality to get some credentials behind my name. I'd be interested to take an ALACE training sometime as continuing education but would not be interested in certifying with them, as I wouldn't see the benefit (not a big referral source, and their internal structure and customer service right now are shaky, it seems).

OnlyAngil, meet me, meet me! I'm DONA certified and I'm collaborating on a birth right now with an awesome CAPPA trained doula. I'd never dream of suggesting she re-do her training, she's great.
#8 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaE View Post

OnlyAngil, meet me, meet me! I'm DONA certified and I'm collaborating on a birth right now with an awesome CAPPA trained doula. I'd never dream of suggesting she re-do her training, she's great.
At lest there is one!
#9 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 PM

I loved my CBI training! I was able to teach, move twice (to two different states!) and still finish my training and become a certified labor doula in less than two years. I am actually waiting for them to finish their lactation consultant course- I'm hoping to sit the IBCLC test someday.

Best of luck in your decision making!

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#10 of 16 Old 03-29-2008, 11:48 PM

Actually...You have 4 years after training to complete your DONA certification. Your packet expires after two years so you would have to buy a new one if you didn't get certified within two years, but your training lasts for 4.

You should probably find out who other doulas in your area are trained with. That way the care providers in your area are already familiar with them and more comfortable with that. And no, I don't find DONA is just for hospital births. Feel free to read about them here: http://www.dona.org/aboutus/mission.php

I originally went with DONA because they were the ONLY certifying organization (as they were the first.)
#11 of 16 Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 AM

I agree with JessicaE, I am currently certifying with DONA, mainly for the name recognition. Our training was at in a freestanding birth center, for a local homebirth midwife. I think the location is decided by the hostess, and just depends on what is available. Ours was very casual, sitting on the floor and couches. The hostess brought in a local massage therapists/aromatherapist to talk one day and show techniques, there was lots of talk about out of hospital birth being the ideal, but acknowledgement that most of our clients would be in the hospital so we needed to understand the procedures there. I felt well prepared to attend my first birth after the training.
#12 of 16 Old 03-30-2008, 04:05 PM

How bout CAPPA? cappa.net

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#13 of 16 Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

THank you all so much for your input! I will definately check into the other suggestions as well. I don't have the money right now anyway, so it will be al ittle while before I can actually start any of these trainings. But I really do apreciate all the information -I knew the informed women at MDC would be able to help me!!!

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04
and Gracie 7/10 
:, dw Amy:

#14 of 16 Old 03-31-2008, 01:36 AM

I know CBI offers payment plans, so you might look into that.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#15 of 16 Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 PM

Ditto everyone else about the benefits that you can find with DONA. I just completed my training, and I loved the atmosphere of the training, as well as how much I learned. And for anyone that's had a negative or pushy experience with a DONA trained doula, I'm sorry to hear that, and that doula certainly wasn't reflective of DONA's philosophy, or teachings.
Good luck with your decision, I know it can be difficult in the beginning, with so much information thrown at you all at once, and so much to choose from.
#16 of 16 Old 03-31-2008, 09:54 PM

I just finished a doula workshop for DONA. I loved it, but I wish it was longer. There's so much that can't be covered in 16 hours! There are quite a bit of other assignments before certification is complete, such as reading several books, attending at least 3 births that meet certain criteria, attending a childbirth class, and attending a breastfeeding course.

I didn't so much "choose" DONA over other doula certification organizations, it was simply the most readily available since they have a large local presence. The environment of our class was very personal. Although chairs were set up in a circle, by the end of the weekend most of us were on the floor or sitting on birth balls.

Most people in the class seemed very natural childbirth oriented, but there was an emphasis on support in hospitals since that is really where doulas are most needed. There was an emphasis on respecting the mother's wishes and being her advocate, not becoming someone who pushes a personal agenda on either the mother or medical staff.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page