Your take on *low* fluid levels? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 04-03-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sage midwives, my ds is now almost 13 months old and I still have nagging doubts that his birth was "the way it had to be."

What are your thoughts?

At 41 weeks, the doctor recommended that I be induced because my fluid levels were at the lower end of the acceptable range (I don't remember exact numbers). I begged to hold out another week, but once faced with talks on meconium aspiration and higher risk of c-section, I quickly submitted. I was told I was doing the right thing by getting the baby out while we were both still in excellent health.

As you can imagine, it became the typical intervention snowball--24 hours of cervadil led to 12 hours of searing pitocin contractions (and still only 4cm) led to epidural and tons of iv fluids led to swelling, tearing, tons of blood lost led to a truly difficult recovery. Obviously not the birth experience I had hoped for.

Though I can't truly say that I regret any of it, because meeting my DS was the most miraculous day of my life, I will always wonder what would have happened if I declined induction. Oh if I had only discovered MDC a little bit earlier...

Would you have recommended induction in my situation? TIA!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
in short, NO, I would not have suggested, recommended or supported induction.

"low end of normal" is STILL NORMAL. Presumably 'low amniotic fluid index' is the latest reason for inductions...which happen all too frequently for any number of stupid/non-evidence based reasons.

Your meeting your DS is still miraculous! And you did the best you knew how at the time. So this info does not need to darken your birth and heck, it sounds like you did a wonderful job with a very hard birth! But maybe this info can help you in future.....
#3 of 5 Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 AM

Nope, I would not have recommended induction. Normal parameters are just that and "low end" is not an indication. This happens before a woman goes into labor anyway, we know that. Sounds awful, but your 2nd birth should be easier! Find a provider (a midwife, I hope! but everyone is different!) that agrees with your philosophies and you should be just fine.
1st births are hard! More difficult should you be swayed toward the induction/ hospital route. It's easy to convince women of the needs for that when they feel ungainly and "too" pregnant.
Trust birth,
Melissa, CNM

Midwife and mama to Arden Phoenix (12/31/06) and Fian Rune (12/5/09)

#4 of 5 Old 04-09-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies--they correspond to what my gut has been telling me all these months.

That first pregnancy experience was full of so much uncertainty and newness, I thought that a "middle of the road" approach was safest. So I chose an OB who had a CNM on staff who delivered at a more progressive hospital in the area.

Sigh. Now I know better. I already dream of a homebirth for the next time around.
#5 of 5 Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM

I composed a nice long reply, then the MDC server finked out and ate it. ::

Frogautumn, I am not a midwife, but a doula, and have a lot of clients who have hospital births. Those who go "overdue" (a topic we discuss thoroughly in prenatals, but often doesn't really resonate...), often have BPPs, during which the amniotic fluid is measured. What you and they are not told is that the measurement of the fluid is highly inaccurate, and with a little hunting, more fluid can often be found. I had a client last year who had an AFI of 5, and was being badgered by the OB to go for an immediate induction. Luckily the client kept her wits about her, insisted on a re-scan by an experienced tech and - GASP - her AFI measured 13! Amazing! So, no induction that day.

There is a local practice who sends all the mamas who are 40w5 or 6d for a BPP and ALLLLLL of them measure low AFI and must be immediately induced. Hmmm, what a coincidence! NOT.

Look on your first birth as the springboard that led you to the place you are now. A positive view!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page