question about baby positioning - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 30 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and am feeling a bit stressed and paranoid about its positioning. My first baby was breech at this point and he never flipped - was delivered via c-section. My mom, a no-longer-practicing CNM, was pretty sure baby was head-down as of last week (she lives out of town so I don't see her often), but she also thought my son was head-down about a week before he was confirmed as breech so I am not 100% convinced she's right. (In her defense, he had his arms up by his ears a lot of the time, and the MW I was seeing confirmed via ultrasound).

Anyway, here's a simple question for you knowledgeable ladies... I feel lots of little movements - like hands - very low down, which seems to be a good sign. Also, when my baby gets the hiccoughs, I feel this very low. I think (?) when my (breech) son had hiccoughs they were higher, but I can't remember for sure now. I definitely feel butt or something hard (hopefully not head) high up in about the same spot that I felt my son's head last time around. I get some large kicks but almost never above my belly button. Maybe baby's legs are bent around up by its chin?

In any case, do these observations seem consistent with a head-down baby? Or should I continue to bite my nails for another couple weeks?

TIA
-Karen

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 PM

Not sure how much help this is, but it could be head down or breech at this point. Please be reassured that your baby has plenty of time to turn, and lots of room in there to flip if he/she is breech. s:

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
#3 of 4 Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 AM

Have you been to spinningbabies dot com? They have a pretty good section on how to palpate yourself, and determining baby's position, plus the whole site is about how to *get* the baby into the best position, even if they are breech! Good luck, and try not to be paranoid!! (I know how hard that can be!)

Tracey Mouse

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

#4 of 4 Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are times its hard to know a baby's position even with hands on the belly....way harder to know from a distance with a verbal description. Sorry!

But I agree--it's too early to worry in any event, and spinning babies site would be the place to go.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page