Child Birth Educators Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you complete any training? What program did you go through? I am looking at ALACE and I really like what they have to say. Does anyone have any experience with them or know anyone who does?

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 05:34 PM

Can I add a question to this so I don't make a new thread? Have any of you used or heard anything about the CBE program with Birth Arts International??
http://www.birtharts.com/cbe.htm

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#3 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallielynn01 View Post
Can I add a question to this so I don't make a new thread? Have any of you used or heard anything about the CBE program with Birth Arts International??
http://www.birtharts.com/cbe.htm

I signed up for the Birth Arts cbe program. All I can say is 2 thumbs down.
#4 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM

I have also signed up for the Birth Arts CBE program, and am thus far impressed, considering it's BRAND SPANKING NEW and of course will have some glitches here and there. So far, it appears that Demetria is doing a wonderful job of handling the glitches as quickly and smoothly as possible.
#5 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 PM

I am going through ALACE for CBE. It is a wonderful program and I am now provisonally certified (took a year), with more to go in order to become fully certified. The only drawback right now is that their office is way understaffed and they are restructuring the doula program. This did not hinder my CBE study any and Randi the CBE trainer always graded/returned my work in a very timely manner. The program is very thorough. LOTS of reading and the learning activites took some time to complete, but I learned many things.
#6 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemama View Post
I am going through ALACE for CBE. It is a wonderful program and I am now provisonally certified (took a year), with more to go in order to become fully certified. The only drawback right now is that their office is way understaffed and they are restructuring the doula program. This did not hinder my CBE study any and Randi the CBE trainer always graded/returned my work in a very timely manner. The program is very thorough. LOTS of reading and the learning activites took some time to complete, but I learned many things.
Wow thank you so much! I can't wait to get started. I have another question, the required reading, is that to be done while you are doing the coursework, or after? I was just thinking of starting to collect and read the books now while I save up for the tuition.

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
#7 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 PM

i just sent in my application and payment to alace. i had heard that things were really slow and understaffed, but i got an email back in a week and a return phone call in three days. so i think things are getting squared away. i have already started the reading. i have read some of the books already so the ones i have at home i am re-reading while waiting for the materials. im so excited about getting started!
#8 of 15 Old 04-13-2008, 02:21 AM

I trained with ALACE CBE program (began in 2005, took about 10 months, with two kids in diapers, pumping and woking the graveyard shift. I was motivated LOL). And can't say enough great things about them. I kept "hearing" (reading here) that there were problems but I never had a problem getting through by phone or email.

Last week I was sitting here and got their E-newsletter (about the revamp in the doula program, which I already thought was phenominal) and the person who had just sent the email was surprized to be hearing from me already.

Now if I could just get my issue of Special Delivery already....

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#9 of 15 Old 04-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismommy View Post
Wow thank you so much! I can't wait to get started. I have another question, the required reading, is that to be done while you are doing the coursework, or after? I was just thinking of starting to collect and read the books now while I save up for the tuition.
Start the ALACE reading NOW!!!!!: Start with Birth as An American Rite of Passage by Robbie Davis-Floyd. This one usually takes awhile to get through. You will need to have read some of the books for the learning activites, but the reading is not required to be finished until you are ready to be fully certified. The few others that are important to read right away are: The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger and Heart and Hands by Elizabeth Davis. Also, if you can, get your hands on the newest version of Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year by Anne Frye. It is required reading, but kind of expensive. I was able to get most books through our library and even suggested to them that they buy Anne Frye's book and they did so I did not have to shell money out for it (I think it is $60+).
#10 of 15 Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks so much! I will get some of those books then. Thanks for telling me which ones to get first too.

#11 of 15 Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post

The publishing of Special Delivery is on hold for an unspecified amount of time. An email went out about that towards the end of last year I believe.

Molly

Molly--mama to two sons (9/03 and 5/06), one tiny son forever in my heart (14w5d, 11/09), and one early m/c 2/10. Gave birth to my rainbow baby girl in 2011 and surprised to welcome another rainbow in October, 2014!
#12 of 15 Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinyum View Post
I signed up for the Birth Arts cbe program. All I can say is 2 thumbs down.
That seems unfair. You should be able to say more than that about something you must feel strongly about. Do you feel the materials are inaccurate or incomplete? Do you think the program is too rigorous or not rigorous enough? What is it that you are disappointed in?

I'm enrolled in the Birth Arts cbe program. I probably won't complete the program, but I'm using the philosophy and curriculum to help me create my own cbe series. I've taught cbe several times and I'm just not 100% thrilled with the curriculum I've been using. I'm also observing other classes to this end.

My impression of the program is that it requires extensive reading and a well-rounded education, focuses on teaching skills and making yourself valuable to the community, and has a good philosophy that almost anyone can get on board with. The instructor has made herself very accessible and seems very flexible and willing to help.

Granted, I haven't compared it to other CBE training programs (besides what I did at my midwifery school), but I really don't see where the "two thumbs down" is coming from. Care to explain?

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#13 of 15 Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post

I know, what's up with that? I haven't gotten one since last year.

OP, I am in the ALACE CBE program, and I really like it so far.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#14 of 15 Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 AM

If anyone has any direct questions or comments please feel free to PM me or email me. It is a new program and everyone who enrolled in the special CBE for $75 offer did so knowing it was new and to be introduced. We are making changes and updating based on our students excellent recommendations. It is truly a CBE program like none other and it requires more intensive self reflection, didactic and overall work than any other, but we feel students will be able to work in any birth environment, teaching to the needs of their community.
pumpkinyum I am sorry you feel it is two thumbs down, most people really seem to like it. Most people are just getting all of their materials, I am glad you have had sufficient time to review everything and please feel free to email me if you need assistance or have ideas on how we can make the program better.
Thanks
Demetria

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
#15 of 15 Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM

I also did the ALACE CBE program (and doula program as well) and thought both were extremely thorough. Randi is a sometimes tough grader of the coursework (I thought some questions were vague but then the answers they wanted were quite specific), but it only makes one learn more as they work and sometimes re-work the answers.

I had all paperwork graded and returned within two weeks of sending it in. The doula training was outstanding and really prepared me to support each mom individually.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page