Doula question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had an amazing vbac 8 weeks ago...

After very traumatic birth experience with my first (I was treated for PTSD) I was really committed to a respectful, sacred, vaginal birth with my second.

I was not committed necessarily to a drug free birth although I was open to it...I was far more committed to a vaginal birth...and I communicated this to my entire birth team (dh, my mom, doula, doc and L&D nurses)

that said we had a very long labor...I was at home for 24+ hours and ultimately chose to have an epidural...a choice I am super grateful for b.c I don't think I would have had the energy to deliver vaginally if I had not been able to rest as a result of the epi...

that said I am always curious...are doulas generally disappointed when they have a client who chooses to have meds?

Oh and my doula has been wonderfully supportive...my birth has just got me thinking about how doulas feel emotionally after a birth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 AM

I can't speak for other doulas, but I'm not disappointed when clients choose meds. I'm there to support their choices so I don't have any strong feelings either way if they go with or without medication.

Far harder is the misuse of interventions and crappy treatment of birthing women and standing there being witness to it. *That* is what gets me riled up and pissed off.

April :
Mom, Wife, Doula, CBE
Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 AM

I agree with the above poster. My last birth chose an epi because she was induced and high units of pitocin. She was miserable. For her, its was allowed her labor to progress. I wasn't disappointed in her, just the nurse who did a painful exam (with a cervix stretched thrown in with out warning) and told her as she was cringing she should get the epidural, and she of course wanted one. Even after talking wit her, she was sure (she had wanted to try to go with out) but later wonders if she could have made it. But I was a bit mifed that nurse who said she supported natural birth, pushed the epi on her at her weakest moment. But it ended up being a good choice for this mom, who had stayed at 4 cm for 4 hours on hard pitocin! She ended up with a great vaginal birth and has happy memories from her birth, and that's what matters!

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Your doula is probably as thrilled as you, if not more so!

Doula's really understand how difficult it is to have a VBAC in this current climate. So anything it takes to have a VBAC is brilliant on your part. The epidural was necessary it facilitated you having a vaginal birth.

Good work and Congratulations!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM

I agree with the above posters. I only get dissappointed when I feel the mother has been manipulated or uninformed - and when the epidural leads to more interventions. And even then I am never dissappointed in the mother. Just the system. That said - I have seen a couple of situations where it's been the very best thing (given the situation).
Congratulations! And remember that you made the right choice for YOU, and only you can do that!

User Tag List