A question about baby aspirin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 35 weeks with my second baby and have been taking a baby aspirin usually every other day for the entire pregnancy. I have a clotting disorder (leiden factor V), but I have NEVER had a clot in my life. The only reason I was tested for it is because my mom had DVT's in two of her pregnancies. Anyway.....we are planning for our first homebirth (YAY!!!) and I'm wondering what you would recommend to your clients as far as continuing/discontinuing the aspirin in these last few weeks.

FWIW, I had my dd in the hospital (it was planned that way), and I took the baby aspirin all the way through the pregnancy. I did hemorrhage VERY slightly after her birth (I think I lost 600 cc's of blood, and they gave me a shot of pit and then something else). I'm not overly concerned about that this time, but I would like to avoid it if possible, kwim. I don't like taking the baby aspirin, but at the same time, I really don't want to get a blood clot as that would risk me out of a homebirth completely. I'm not really sure what else I could do other than staying hydrated, taking my vitamins, and maintaining good posture. I will be bringing this up with my midwife at our next appointment, but I really wanted to get some other feedback as well. Someone out there has to have some sort of experience with this!!! Thanks.
#2 of 3 Old 04-18-2008, 01:51 PM

I'm not the most experienced person here, but I would say that if you worry about the aspirin leading to another pph, then I'd recommend discontinuing the aspirin a few days before your EDD (or as soon as you suspect labour, if you start before that).
there's a lot of uterine tonics that you can take to help with reducing pph, both before labour and after the thrid stage.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#3 of 3 Old 04-22-2008, 03:21 PM

I have a clotting disorder and take a baby aspirin a day. My RE told me to discontinue use at 35-36 weeks as the risk of pph outweighs the risk of getting a clot at that point. Can you check with whoever put you on the aspirin. Please don't just follow my novic advice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page