How do "stork bites" happen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just curious why and how these happen? my oldest who I know engaged didn't have any but #2 and #3 i don't know how engaged they were and both had them.

Oregon : mom x's 4 DS 1995 DD : 2005 DD2 2006 DD3 2008 hopeful future : Also full time college mom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 04-18-2008, 01:11 AM

As far as I know it has nothing to do with the birth process. They are just capillaries that are close to the surface of the skin.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#3 of 22 Old 04-18-2008, 01:15 AM

Well, you see, when the stork brings the baby to the mommy is has to carry the baby by the nape of the neck.....

I don't know, really. My girls are 25 months and theirs are still nearly as bright as they day they were born. Just one of those weird newborn skin markings
#4 of 22 Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 AM

Both my kids had them on their foreheads, nape of neck, and my son also had them on his nose and upper lip. They are 6 and 9 now and the red is totally gone from my 6 year old but still is a tiny bit visible with my 9 year old son, especially if he has been crying.
#5 of 22 Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
CEG

They're just areas with extra capillaries- I am not sure how that happens but it's nothing to do with the birth process. My DS is 2.5 and he had one right between his eyebrows that only shows up now when he is really mad or crying.
#6 of 22 Old 04-18-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! I had heard somewhere that it was from them engaging and hitting things so I just wanted to clarify lol.

Oregon : mom x's 4 DS 1995 DD : 2005 DD2 2006 DD3 2008 hopeful future : Also full time college mom!
#7 of 22 Old 04-18-2008, 02:35 PM

The medical term for stork bite is telangiectatic nevi. In school we just learned that they have no clinical significance... I've never come across an explanation as to how they actually form- I sure would like to know- and why they fade too!

Dd had one.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#8 of 22 Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 PM

I have stork bites under my nose and on my forehead. Though they are relatively unnoticable they still get quite bright when I cry! Charming...?
#9 of 22 Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM

I have one on the nape of my neck/under my hair a bit and so do all of my kids. silliness...

Wierd though, huh?
#10 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Have your pediatirician note these and any birth marks or mongolian spots on the skin in your child's record; if you ever find yourself in an ER with an emergency, you will be accused of making these marks yourself and therefore be accused of childabuse and neglect. A previous record of it will save you.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#11 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
if you ever find yourself in an ER with an emergency, you will be accused of making these marks yourself and therefore be accused of childabuse and neglect. A previous record of it will save you.
Not necessarily - both of my boys have prominent stork bites on their foreheads and they've both been to the ER more times than I'd care to remember and no one has ever accused me of anything. Maybe it's time to find another ER?

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#12 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 04:04 PM

I use ER for emergencies, which means that there is really no time to choose...but it is only advice based on my experience, and my children are nearly grown, so for me it is a moot point.

BTW, I only went with one of my four children, and I was never home when the incidents happened, yet I was blamed every single time.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#13 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I use ER for emergencies, which means that there is really no time to choose...but it is only advice based on my experience, and my children are nearly grown, so for me it is a moot point.

BTW, I only went with one of my four children, and I was never home when the incidents happened, yet I was blamed every single time.
Interesting. I use ERs for emergencies too, but I'm within 10 miles of 4 or 5 ERs. We've had stitches, a meningitis scare, a tongue bitten through, rotavirus... a few other things that I can't remember off of the top of my head, and never once was I questioned. I wonder if the ER you use just questions everyone who comes in with children or something.

Amy... mom to
#14 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 PM

I've had to take my kids to the ER on several different occasions and no one has ever mentioned the red marks. They are all in very normal locations for them to be. I think your ER is just weird or something.
#15 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 PM

my youngest has stork bites, when she was born they were quite red, on her eyelids, between her eyes on her forehead and the back of her neck.

She also has a Mongolian spot on her bottom, which I know is in her chart because I mentioned it to the ped the day after she was born, demanding to know what happened to my babys bottom! (I thought they somehow bruised her, when checking her hips and such during her newborn exams) He assured me it was just a "birthmark" and would fade with time, as well as her stork bites.

She still has them, the stork bites show up really red when shes hot (like outside in the summer) or when shes angry and crying. The Mongolian spot has almost faded totally away, it used to cover her entire buttock and now its a small spot about the size of a quarter.
#16 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaew View Post
Interesting. I use ERs for emergencies too, but I'm within 10 miles of 4 or 5 ERs. We've had stitches, a meningitis scare, a tongue bitten through, rotavirus... a few other things that I can't remember off of the top of my head, and never once was I questioned. I wonder if the ER you use just questions everyone who comes in with children or something.
I guess I look like the prototype child abuser. Thanks.

#17 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 PM

Maybe being super defensive had something to do with it, apple juice, more than looking like an abuser?

Mine show up when I am angry, upset, or have been super excited in other ways.
#18 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 PM

NO. I did not have this attitude until after my visits.

I guess one would have to have been there to understand. Thanks for the support.

#19 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 11:36 PM

It's sad that this experience has lead to you read things into people's word's that aren't there and develop sarcasm as well. I would be furious for anyone implying that I had anything to do with an injury to my child, I understand.

Where were your child's bites? Mine are forehead and back of the neck.
#20 of 22 Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I guess I look like the prototype child abuser. Thanks.
Yeah, because that's what I said.

Quote:
I wonder if the ER you use just questions everyone who comes in with children or something.
really translates to "you look like a child abuser". Whatever

Amy... mom to
#21 of 22 Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM

Just wanted to add DH and both DD have them on the nape of their necks. I always thought stork bites were similar to birth marks, but just red.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#22 of 22 Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 PM

My DH has one between his eyebrows that shows up if he is sick or over tired. He always wonders how I know a bug is coming or that he was up all night

My dd has one over her eye lid on the same eye with a chronically clogged tear duct.

hh2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page