Heartbeat irregularity at 18 weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About 4 days ago, when I woke up in the morning, I noticed that every 30 seconds or so, I could feel my heart beat extra strong, so strong my insides would shake. It went away after a few hours. This has happened every morning since. Today, it hasn't gone away and is now happening every 5-7 beats. It goes like this:

da-dah
da-dah
da-dah
da-da-DAH
(pause)
da-dah
da-dah
da-dah
da-dah
da-da-DAH
(pause)
da-dah

I know my blood volume has increased due to the pregnancy. This is my third pregnancy. But I've never experienced anything like this. My blood pressure is 108/57. I'm thinking about going to a doctor tomorrow. Have you ever heard of this being normal during pregnancy?
#2 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 12:02 AM

Not a birth professional...
I had weird palpitations around 19 weeks in my current pregnancy. I followed up with a cardiologist as I had had this problem before when not pregnant. They didn't find a cause the last time and didn't find one this time either. My bouts of it were sporatic, at most occuring about 6 times an hour for a few hours, then not occuring for many hours. The cardio told me it not uncommon to experience irregular palpitations during pregnancy.

My midwife and my family practitioner suggested I increase my mineral intake and supplement with a magnesium supplement. As soon as I did this, it all went away! coincidence, maybe, maybe not!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#3 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing your experience. Interestingly, I did let up on taking my minerals, including magnesium, the day before it all started up. I was traveling and got lax. I'll make it a point to get back on track. It will be interesting if it makes a difference.
#4 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Not a birth professional...
I had weird palpitations around 19 weeks in my current pregnancy. I followed up with a cardiologist as I had had this problem before when not pregnant. They didn't find a cause the last time and didn't find one this time either. My bouts of it were sporatic, at most occuring about 6 times an hour for a few hours, then not occuring for many hours. The cardio told me it not uncommon to experience irregular palpitations during pregnancy.

My midwife and my family practitioner suggested I increase my mineral intake and supplement with a magnesium supplement. As soon as I did this, it all went away! coincidence, maybe, maybe not!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#5 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 AM

I had that in my 2nd pregnancy but not my first...I think it started around 13-14 weeks and tapered off somewhere near the end of 2nd tri. It was mostly in the evening time for me when I would lay down to relax...I browsed the internet at the time and it sounded like premature atrial contractions or premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). One of my friends got them during each of her pregnancies and will still get them if she has too much caffeine.

Laura...part-time OB nurse, and full-time mom to two sweet boysnocirc.gifintactlact.gif
#6 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Hi-- you probably don't have to worry-- although it's always good to get it listened to by a professional first (especially if you have a paying insurance.) .

I had/have the same thing...an extra heartbeat is actually very common (if you do a google search, the numbers on the internet state about 5 percent of the general population have one.... and what's more by and large not considered dangerous.)

Most of the time the reasons for an extra heartbeat can't be found... but pregancy can be a factor for inducing it. A little stress on the body and perhaps our increased blood volume makes it more noticeable.

The first time doc's noticed was when I was in college and had an EKG and holter hook up for 24 hours (records and graphs your hearts on this little machine attached to your body)... not surprisingly they didn't find anything. And there's no reason to be concerned. Since then, at my physicals some doctors hear it, and others don't.

Almost all of the time it's not serious, but can be bothersome. So some people choose to go on medication to regulate it.

Here are a couple of websites that I found informative, and let me breathe a bit easier:

http://www.healthandage.com/Home/gm=...414C6E2FFB479B

http://books.google.co.th/books?id=3...6s2qquAo&hl=en

look at the section "pregnancy and palpitations"
#7 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 03:23 PM

P.S. I agree with MommaLauraRN that from your description it sounds like PACs or PVCs... but of course a doc would know for sure.
#8 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had it with both of my pregnancies and have it on and off now, too. I, too, had a holter for 24 hours. Basically they said that it can be caused by:

stress
lack of sleep
increase in hormones
caffeine
artificial sweetners (actually Splenda is my biggest trigger...for the longest time I didn't know that I was injesting it...it was in the GUM I was chewing)

and/or any combination therein. I agree that it can't hurt to get it checked out, but I would bet that it is being caused by an increase in hormones and possibly a diminishment in the amount of sleep you're getting (are you up a lot to pee?)

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#9 of 9 Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Great info! Thank you everyone. I did have a substantial lack of sleep at the time it started from travel (jet lag), and a teething nine month old. Makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page