Birth stories - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-24-2002, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all -
I'm new to this site and I'm loving it so far. However I am really bummed after reading so many stories from people whose experience with their midwives were less than ideal (there are good comments too of course but I was just surprised at the amouint of negative). I am a midwifery student, studying and reading like mad between births and taking breaks only to work and scan this site!
So here is my request: Tell me about your positive births! Where were you? Who else was there? What was the most helpful thing anyone did for you during labor? How has laboring and birthing, drawing on your own strength alone, affected your life after the birth?
In no way do I mean to invalidate the experiences I've read about so far! I'm just a junkie and I can listen to/read about peoples birth experiences til the end of time and since we have a first time mom due any day now I'd appreciate some good stories...
Thanks!
Azaria
#2 of 5 Old 03-25-2002, 03:51 PM

Have you read Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin? It's loaded with the most positive birth stories I've ever read! I read it over and over while pregnant and it also helped my realize that midwifery was my life's work!
#3 of 5 Old 03-29-2002, 12:12 PM

I was a first time mom and decided to go with a midwife (actually two) instead of my original thoughs of midwife in a hospital. The biggest factor in my decision was that I wanted those attending my birth to be people I knew and trusted, not whoever was on rotation that day! Anyway, I labored by myself until I was about 8 cm before calling my midwives. But I stalled out at 9 cm and I had gone 2 nights without sleep (a total of 48 hours), so my midwives suggested we go to the hospital before I got too exhausted to push when the time came. They said while they are the last people to recommend going to get an epidural, situations like mine are what they are made for. Even though we didn't like it, my husband and I completely trusted them. So I went in, but didn't have to get the epidural!!! I finally got past that last cm while there and pushed for two hours.

I had a cool OB first, but then there was a shift change and I got one that was really insecure about my midwives being there. Still, I turned to my midwives for help with every decision. They helped me push and they were my advocates when I wanted to go home right away and not have my baby checked in (to avoid eye drops, separation, etc). So while some things were less than ideal - the transfer, getting a dose of antibiotics while there, getting phentenel (sp?) in my attempt to avoid the epidural - I would do things exactly the same way again. I have positive feelings about my dd's birth and the midwives who helped me through it!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#4 of 5 Old 03-29-2002, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The dreaded double post.

move along. nothing to see here.
#5 of 5 Old 03-29-2002, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had my daughter at home and things went pretty smoothly. The only problem with the midwife was that since I went more quickly than expected she was only there for the last half hour or so!

I was actually out running errands through most of my labor, all of first stage I did on my feet and was in the car coming home for transition. The worst of it was having pushing contractions but not knowing if it was okay to push. It was painful and frightening. The poor woman had two of us go into labor on one day for the first time in 6 years. The other lady was having her 8th child and I my first. She went to the other ladies house figuring she would be quick and I would be at it well into the night. OOps.. she got it backwards.

By the time DH and I realized how fast things were going and called her I was already begging to push. She got to our apartment as quickly as she could and did a great job. I was very happy with how gentle and calming she was. I swear, after she helped me onto the birthing stool and I gave the first push I was as calm as if I'd spent the last half hour meditating rather than bellowing at my poor husband.

He, by the way, never lost his cool.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page