Any doula's ever have to 'fire' a client? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2002, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm editing this post because I'm really finding that the issue is resolved and I want to thank you for your input.
Emilee
Bundle Doula Services
Santa Fe, New Mexico
[email protected] (new e-mail address)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2002, 10:20 PM

Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know that there is a big doula email list at yahoogroups. I'm sure if you posted this there then you would receive more feedback.

Goodluck with whatever way you decide to go.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you part company with her does she have other options? Are there other doulas in your area who could take her on? Is she going to get essentially the same contract and price with them? I'm just thinking that there may be some way to educate her to the fact that almost everything she is unhappy about is pretty much standard. Can you have a heart to heart with her, tell her that you think it is omportant to clear the air and feel comfortable with each other before her labor begins so you can either work well together or she can find someone with whom she is happier? That is a really tough situation and I wish you luck.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply -
I actually have a pretty good support system with doula friends in town and out - I will check out the yahoo sites - thanks for that info.

So...I have had a lot of good discussions with other doula's and childbirth professionals and everyone says the same thing...what I've provided is standard if not above standard, and if she is dissatisfied after having a heart to heart, then it would be best for her to find someone else. It's a drag, but it happens. And who knows, things may work out just fine.
Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2002, 03:32 PM

In my training we had a big discussion about setting limits on your pratice and never taking on a situation that made you feel uncomfortable, unhappy, etc. You aren't aking anything out of the ordinary, and if she's hostile now... well, it might work out, but it could be trouble. I guess what I'm saying is that you are providing a service, if she's not happy with it, than she should look elsewhere. It's not "quitting", it's setting limits. Just be calm about it and say you think birth is too important to jepordize her experience with your differences.
Well, that's just my advice anyway

User Tag List