How to measure fundal height? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-23-2003, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning a UC and out of curiosity, want to measure my fundal height. Would I go from the top of my pubic bone to the bottom of my rib cage?

TIA
#2 of 7 Old 11-23-2003, 06:23 PM

it's much easier to do if someone else does it for you, rather than trying to do it yourself. (this is from hearing midwives trying to do their own fundal height!)

you measure from the top of your uterus - so, walking the fingers down until you feel that "ledge" that is the top of the uterus. Then, you measure down to the top of the pubic bone.

Typically, after 20 weeks or so, it starts to somewhat correlate your weeks with the centimeters, give or take 2cm or so.
#3 of 7 Old 01-05-2004, 10:02 AM

What about before 20 weeks? I am 10 weeks today and about 8.5 cm. That seems like it is big to me. Is it?

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#4 of 7 Old 01-10-2004, 03:11 PM

Before 20 wks it doesnt really work to measure with a tape measure- at 10 weeks your uterus should be barely poking out above your pubic bone, if at all. Most women poke out by 12 wks are halfway between the pubic bone and bellybutton by about 16 wks and are at the bellybutton around 20 wks. Hope that helps.
blessings
new moon
#5 of 7 Old 01-10-2004, 06:33 PM

That does help. I knew it was about the belly button around 20, but I didn't know about half way between at 16. I'm kind of wondering if I could be really off on the conception time. This is probably tmi, but the period before the thing that I took as implantation spotting was very light and maybe that could have been implantation spotting and the second thing of spotting (24 days later) was just my weirdness in that I've spotted in all of my pregnancies. I really think it is my uterus that I am feeling.

#6 of 7 Old 01-11-2004, 02:54 PM

Yeah, that could be possible. Have you felt baby move yet? That would be what I would look at next to give clues. A first time mama usually feels baby move around 16-18 wks, more experienced mamas sometimes a little earlier. Also when you first hear the heartbeat is a clue and there is always ultrasound if you are really concerned.
blessings
new moon
#7 of 7 Old 01-20-2004, 04:38 PM

Well, I had an ultrasound today and I am not further along than I originally thought. My uterus is just in an odd position. The baby looks healthy and there is only one. Hydro, twins, and a dental x-ray were part of my concern. Thank you for the info and support.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page