2009 is the Year of ___________ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me: skincare, hair care, wardrobe care, sleep, and more relaxed parenting.

Seriously, my skin...my poor, neglected, wrinkly skin. I look officially like hell, ten years older than I did five years ago. (Except when a few pounds overweight, but that's not a solution.) Red eyes, red nose, grand canyons forming. And my hair, something (!) happened -- it's all rough and wiry, and dull. And my wardrobe, oh dear.

So the transformation has begun. I feel like I'm at a 12-step meeting for people who need makeup but have not been willing to admit it. "Hi, I'm middle-aged, and I need a good foundation and...um...makeup." The blepharitis will not go away by itself; I bought some lid scrub and have been using it. The 3-month test of the wrinkle cream has started. Showers? None of this Euro nonsense -- I do have time now for daily showers, with a nice soap and a washcloth for a nice scrub. My hair is not silky-straight like it was when I was 15; this week I will get a hair iron, as a present to myself, and use it. Meanwhile, I have conditioner, and if the misery of lice taught me anything last summer, it's that keeping goop on your head for a few hours once in a while does wonderful stuff for your hair.

I Will Continue To Eat More Fruit.

I will buy a new bra that fits.

My lifestyle no longer involves schlepping backpacks 4+ miles daily; I get my exercise in gyms. I can't make excuses anymore about how I can't wear nice trousers because the shoes are no good for walking in. I will buy and wear nicer clothing.

Also, there is no state of emergency; I can go to bed.

How about you guys?
#2 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 04:13 PM

2009 is the year where I will seriously look into ending my life as a single parent. Well I started already - have been dating a very promising man for the past month, but only time will tell if its going to get really serious. If not, im not gonna waste my time. Im 31, I want a mate for life - someone who will love and treat me as well as I deserve - and the kids too ofcourse. And in time I want more kids - so no time to waste there.

I want to be more ambitious about my job. I have a good well payed job, that I would like to keep. I have been relaxing too much in the past year - well I had other things on my mind (leaving abusive ex, becoming a single mom of three) but I no longer have any excuses. I'm gonna put more energy into it from now on.

Im gonna work more seriously on staying calm when my kids dont do things my way. I always wanted to be a gentle parent - its just not going as well as I would like these days.

Im going to work on a more positive attitude to everything - get the best out of my days if you kwim..

I think that was about it - will you all help keep me to it?

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#3 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM

2009 is the year of Recovery. I have been in such a state of panic, and now I am amongst my family again, and they are taking care of me. I am recovering my feelings of self-worth, have been seeing a domestic violence counselor. This doesn't seem real to even write out, but it's true. The truth shall out. So it goes.

Am getting my badly neglected finances back on track. I am working part-time, but it shall grow into a lucrative career--I will do summer camps, any teaching postion or other position I can do. I will get a happy healthy lucrative life back for my and my kids, free from their violent soul-sucking father.

I will be strong, strong, strong. My boyfriend and I will begin to begin to build an empire (or at least get out of debt & maybe get a 5 bedroom house together). We'll have to work really hard to get out of the past destructive patterns from our previous & nasty partnerships, but we will prevail.

Throughout this year, I want to focus on giving back, all the fantastic support I've had while I was down, I need to be on the up & up in order to give back. I want to do Holiday Helper because it helped me one year. I want to volunteer for the soup kitchen and have my kids do the same. I want to make sure my mom is taken care of , and that my family is as healthy as humanly possible.

I only say all this because my skin always sucks--

Now that it's written Seie, we gotta do it
#4 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 PM

2009 is the year of baby number 2!

I have made the decision, have access to resources and I am just going to go ahead and make a baby.

Oh, and I will also start actually saving up money.

Plus I will officially graduate from university and work on moving on to...further university.

And, as a bonus, I will write a book.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#5 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 PM

in 2009 i will get my son back, i will stick to my guns, i will never allow another man to disrespect me, i will sing for people, i will collect more orchids, i will advance in my yoga practice, I will love being Alone....
#6 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 PM

2009 ...

Will finalize the DIVORCE

Will move on to another school (job) so that I can have some energy and time for me and my kids

Will keep trying to give back

Will try to keep it lighter

Will do everything in my power to protect our financial security from stbx's fallout

Will try to take better care of my health
#7 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 PM

2009 is the year of financial growth for me! I will graduate with my BA in the summer and, hopefully, secure a teaching position (or any job really...) for the fall. I will pay down my debt once I have a steady income. I will take money management classes if I can find free or cheap ones so that I will not make idiotic financial mistakes as I have made in the past. I will work towards moving out of my father's house and getting a place for myself and dd. Hooray for responsibility!

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#8 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2009 is the year I lose 40 pounds, eat better, work-out a few times a week, and try to "get myself together" in terms of hair, make-up and clothing.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#9 of 33 Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 AM

2009 is the year of ME!!!
It is the year of boundaries. It is the year of self-respect. it is the year of learning to like who I am. It is the year that people who are supportive and helpful will stay in my life, and those that are not will be sent to the crub.
After almost 16 years of devoting my life to others, it is the year of devoting some time to me.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#10 of 33 Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 AM

Inspiring! soso-lynn how exciting!

2009: -in no particular order

*I hope to find a long-term partner, even if it isn't the guy I have been seeing for the past 2 months, I will try to continue looking as I know I don't want to be single much longer. (Been a single mom 6 years now)

*Need to improve my skin, lose weight, and generally take better care of my health - by eating better. Note to self : "Must eat fruit"

*Be much more prepared and organised with meal planning.

*Continue trying to improve my health issues.

*Sort out my wardrobe and start wearing a little make-up.

*Save money when I can.

*Continue doing well in school, and figure out what I want to do at the end of it.

*Read more.
#11 of 33 Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 AM

2009 is going to be a year of getting back to my roots. Getting back to me and my family.

I spent the last 3 years dating continuously. There was always a man in the wings waiting for me to be available. Before that I was unattached and quite happy. And I miss that. I dated one man seriously in a relationship that ended a few months ago when there was the realization that it was not what I wanted. I love him dearly, but I knew it was not the person for me as much as I wish he could have been. I dated a man soon after for a few months that was wonderful, but I realized I was not ready for serious again and ended it just recently. The timing was off, even if it was wonderful. I realized I needed time, and I honored this as hard as it was to give up a dream man. This is after taking a break from dating for a few years.

I decided I need to step back from all of that. And get back to focusing on myself and my son. 2008 was a year of great loss for me on many levels as well as moments of great joy and happiness. I was consumed with the loss and sadness. It overshadowed so much. I need to recover from it. I need to grieve the losses, and I need time to heal from them. I need to be around those who love me and are there for me unconditionally--my wonderful family and amazing friends.

This year will begin a new chapter in my life. I have spent the year balancing many things, and this year it all works out. I will graduate from grad school this year with an excellent GPA. I have spent the last 1.5 working so hard to do well in school, and it's finally coming to an end (only 3 classes left!). I am a part of a great new start up that I am excited about, and I cannot wait to see it come to fruition. I will embark on a promising career. I am part time now with a limited schedule due to parenting and school. Without a full time course load and double the commute time, I will have a lot more free time to work full time and focus on career. I will focus on myself and my child. I will focus on my wonderful circle of friends who are amazingly wonderful, and I feel so blessed to have them. I will spend time making sure they know it. I will not worry about dating and intimacy, and I will let it happen as it may. I want to try to buy an apartment.

I am at such a wonderful place in life, on the brink of all these good things. And I am excited to see everything fall into place. I will continue to be grateful for all the wonderful things in my life in light of my sorrow and despair. I will spend every day being thankful for what I have and what my future holds.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#12 of 33 Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 PM

Good luck everyone in your resolutions!!

2009 for me will be the year of continuing to accept myself and be the person I want to be and try to balance all the things in my life. 2008 was such a huge year of pure change - I got my dream job, I did a lot of conferences and socializing for work which has really helped my social anxiety, I got over a huge fear of public speaking, I made a lot of new friends, I became single and I survived it.

Generally I have been feeling accepting of myself and things, but I still struggle sometimes. I want to be healthier, I want to eat healthier, work out more regularly, be more active with the kids, not slack off so much at work. Just find a better balance of things.

I am so excited for this new year and what it might bring.
#13 of 33 Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Pray more – for personal and professional growth

Lose 15lbs *being realistic here*

Finally go to Las Vegas – November 2009, babe!

Buy a new car

Advance in my current position at work or finally get that federal position I've been working towards for almost 5 years now

Pay off my hospital bills by May

Pay off my credit cards by August

Increase my money contribution to my son's college fund

Dedicate one weekend per month to having a good time just for me (i.e., girls night out outings)

STOP SETTLING

Date someone who wants to be with me for the long haul

Accept the fact that life doesn't always work out the way you want it but it always works out

Embrace the alone time

Save more

Continue spending more time with my son doing the things he'll be able to look back on later and in life and smile about

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#14 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 AM

I will get a good kiss.

I will lose 25 pounds.

my house will be clean.

I will find a sitter. preferably before summer.

I will get out of debt.

I will be open to the exact opposite of everything I thought I wanted in a guy. because clearly plan A was wrong.

I will trust people who love me no matter how scared I am of getting hurt again.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#15 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM

2009 is the year of:

much love
much joy
many blessings
treading lightly on the earth
being more spiritual/less consumer
no harm
#16 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 01:02 PM

This is fantastic Mamas! Much joy and love to you all in the coming year!

For me, 2009 will be a year of continuation. Onward and upward!

I have answers to some health questions, and have a set plan for continued weightloss (after losing 100 pounds i've had a plateau that has lasted over a year and a half! I still have 110 pounds to go, so i'm ready to get this show on the road!)

I've owned my house for a year and a half! It's exciting, but now there are things that need to be fixed, and upgraded. I've spent my time this year learning how to do just that, and this year i have all my plans set out to implement those changes. (except the new furnace, that'll take a little more savings).

While i like my current job, i don't know that it's quite the right fit for me. I'd love to actually do something in the field of my degree, so i plan to make a concerted effort to find just that. Now that my DS is older, i'm able to pursue avenues i couldn't have 3 1/2 years ago when i first came back, with an 8 month old. I also need to find a job that provides better for my DS. He wants to be involved in activities, and i'm having a hard time finding the money to cover bills, much less extra curricular stuff. My weekend homemade perogy business has really flourished this year, and i hope to be able to keep that up, and someday i have dreams of that being our sole income. To be my own boss!

This year, after 4 years of stupidity, i will get divorced. This is HUGE! I only got him to agree to it 2 months ago (on our anniversary/his birthday. HA!). It's all left up to me, but obviously i prefer it that way. Nothing in our current arrangement will change, and i could not be more extatic about it. Now to figure out how to afford it. I can do this!

This year, i hope to find someone to share my life with. It's been 4 very long single years, and i don't want my DS to be too much older than any potential siblings (i definitely want more children). This week i've had a minor setback in that department, but i'll keep my head up, and look forward to good things in 2009.
#17 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 04:43 PM

:
this year, I am going to find something funny or hilarious to laugh about every day.
#18 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranamama View Post
:
this year, I am going to find something funny or hilarious to laugh about every day.
Aww, can I steal yours now?
#19 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 PM

- finally letting go and accepting that stbx will never change enough for it to work

- focusing on myself instead of a screwed up relationship

- getting discipline back into my buddhist meditation practice

- finding time to exercise and eat well

- losing the last 5 pounds

- focusing on my career

- enjoying my time with my kids instead of letting all the stress impact my relationship with them

- finding cheaper housing so i can relax about spending money on myself for clothes, haircuts etc

- recovering from the last few years

- opening up to the possibilities ahead
#20 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 PM

I'm having a terrible day today, so I'm hoping that it is a terrible day to end a terrible year, and that tomorrow will be wonderful and start a new, better year!

-I will continue to disengage, disengage, disengage
-I will continue to let the story unfold, and find the courage to face it, and then release it
-I will try to forgive myself, and try to let go of guilt
-I will learn to like and appreciate myself
-I will learn how to trust more. I have such a wonderful community of friends and family, and it is still a struggle to trust that they will still be around and still like me, from week to week.
-I will develop better boundaries, and stop apologizing all the time
-I will take better care of myself. Some body work and hotsprings are in order, on a regular basis!
-I will deepen my new friendships
-I will give back to my community. The soup kitchen and some cleanup and building projects will happen this year!
-I will continue to do well at my job, and it will turn into a full-time gig, maybe even with on-campus housing (free! fingers crossed...)
-I will stand up for myself and what I believe is best for dds, and I will put an end to the ongoing abuse from xh
-I will start writing again (it's been almost a year). And I will try to fit reading in again also.
-I will continue to appreciate all that I do have in my life
-I will push myself even more to get beyond my fear of "bothering" others, and reach out
-I will try to get more housework/chores done when the girls are gone so that I can have more quality time with them when they are with me
-I will figure out what my new long-term goals are, and start working towards them

I guess that is a good start!
#21 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 02:27 AM

ME!!!

The year I realize that the airlines are right-- you have to put the oxygen mask on yourself before you can help anyone else!
#22 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meco View Post
2009 is going to be a year of getting back to my roots. Getting back to me and my family.
Well put!! me too on that resolution!

I will actually leave my dh..
Spend more time with my children (just my kids and me)
Spend more time as the 3 of us with my parents (they love me and my kids, but can't stand to be around dh..)
Get my schooling done
spend more time @ the gym..
oh, and BUDGET..

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#23 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 PM

i will start my clinicals (one more step closer to that RN!!)
i will continue to NOT date or be involved with any men-because i'm happier that way
i will not allow ex to abuse or disresepct me anymore
i will take better control of my finances
i will get out a little more (on my bike, skiing, ect)

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#24 of 33 Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrybee View Post
The year I realize that the airlines are right-- you have to put the oxygen mask on yourself before you can help anyone else!
I'm so printing that on an index card and hanging it on my bathroom mirror.

My 2007 was a year of darkness...

My 2008 was for regrouping...and going through the motions. (And honestly, to me, it does NOT feel like it's been a whole year, probably because I zombie'd my way through this year.)

My 2009 will be for moving forward in a positive manner. There is a difference between being sad because I lost a child and my best friend/grandmother in the past two years, and being all-encompassing depressed about it. I don't want to be in the doldrums all the time anymore. My kids deserve better.

This December, I vowed to stop raising my children like veal, and get out of the house every once in awhile. The kids now interact with other kids every day of the week, I get time to myself at the gym and two days a week for Parents Morning Out, and my business is slowly inching toward making a profit.

My 2009 will be a year toward helping myself out of the position I was tossed into unknowingly and unfairly...I will accept help from the government (God knows I deserve a little help from Uncle Sam), I will continue to give myself "me" time, and I will give myself a free night - away from my kids and NOT working - at least every other month. I will budget for it, because it ISN'T too expensive when it means my brain will get a break.

I will break my caffeine habit. Or at least taper it down some.

I will continue eating healthier, and working out, because it makes me feel good.

I will strive to give my kids the best, while remembering that spoiling them with "stuff" isn't what is best. My daughter has been through a lot, but she doesn't need all the stuff she has to make her happy.

I need to remember that life isn't about the cards you're dealt...it's how you play your hand. I'm not folding.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#25 of 33 Old 01-02-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
This December, I vowed to stop raising my children like veal, and get out of the house every once in awhile.
hee hee hee.
#26 of 33 Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
2009 for me is going to be about BREAKTHROUGH and COURAGE and HEALING

i have already done a lot and acheived a lot....

but i am still holding back

and i am not going to hold back any more.

i am going to find out what the heck it is that is holding me back and just go for it.

just do it.

its the last bastion.

last part of 2007 and even 2008 have been the best years of my life

and 2009 is looking great

i have lots of pain and uphill battle coming up where things might not go in my favour - and i am looking forward to that too. somehow i feel its not there to harm me - but to heal. u know like in homeopathic treatment when things get worse before healing. same thing.

i am also going to figure out how to figure out money for a naturopath and take better care of my body. i really need to.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#27 of 33 Old 01-02-2009, 07:27 PM

For me, appreciating life and beauty, those I love, and new teeth.

(See my signature for more details. )

HAPPY NEW YEAR MAMIS!!! :
#28 of 33 Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OW, CJ!! Big hugs to you!!

love.gif Robin~ single, work-at-home sewmachine.gif momma to my homeschooling WonderBoys
                         blahblah.gif YoungMan (6/00) & bouncy.gif LittleBoy (6/04)

#29 of 33 Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 AM

Hi all I haven't been on MDC in a whole year my computer died I don't know if anyone rembers me at all but I remember some names . That is not the point though 2009 means.....

Peace my life seems to be finally peaceful!!

As always stive to be a better Mama

2009 seems really for new beginings in all aspects lets all hope it really happens and that they are what we need and want for ourselves and others.

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#30 of 33 Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 AM

Hi all I haven't been on MDC in a whole year my computer died I don't know if anyone rembers me at all but I remember some names . That is not the point though 2009 means.....

Peace my life seems to be finally peaceful!!

As always stive to be a better Mama

2009 seems really for new beginings in all aspects lets all hope it really happens and that they are what we need and want for ourselves and others.

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page