Driving Illegally - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 36 Old 01-19-2009, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You are not in anyway required to let him take your kids in a vehicle that he is driving if you know that he does not have a driver's license.

In fact, the next time you talk to him about his parenting time, be sure to let him know that if he is the one driving, he better have his legitimate driver's license as you not only will not let him take the kids, you will also call the cops and let them know that there is an unlicensed driver driving a vehicle, you will give them the license plate number and the direction he went in and what address he left from.

He will either not show up or bring a licensed driver with him. This doesn't mean that he won't drive at all with the kids when he has them. He will just do it when you can't see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
definitely not an overreaction. there is a reason that the state opts not to give him a license and there is no way that i would allow a child to go with someone that i knew was just rolling with not license. you are right about being concerned.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#33 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger_rodgers View Post
Please think a little before posting. She doesn't have a choice about letting the kids go with him unless she's got clear evidence that he's going to be seriously endangering them. Having an expired license and past DUIs won't do it for the judges. His showing up drunk, yes.

If she refuses to let them go she can lose custody. Do you still think it would be smart for her to refusing to let them go?

She would not get into trouble for refusing to let an unlicensed driver, even if it is their father, take her children. She would be just as guilty of breaking the law (driving without a license is illegal and can be considered child endangerment if there are children in the car) as he is.

Now, if she were to refuse to let them go if he has a licensed driver with him to drive, then she would be in contempt of court.
#34 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger_rodgers View Post
It'd be nifty if they came and did that. But, pranamama, here's the conversation I'm foreseeing between the OP and the judge. It boils down to the fact that the suspended license does not have a single thing to do with his ability to drive safely on the evening of January 17th, unless there's evidence that he's still drinking and driving, in which case the OP may be able to do something. But that should also be done through the court.

Otherwise, the suspended license is between himself and the state, and I'm betting the judge would want to know why you felt it was necessary to insert yourself.
And I am betting the opposite. A judge isn't going to hold the mother responsible for not sending the children off in a car with someone who is driving ILLEGALLY.

Doesn't matter if he is a safe driver or not, he is an UNLICENSED driver. How he got to be that way is irrelevant, what matters is that he doesn't have a license.
#35 of 36 Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate all of your thoughts everyone. Thank you!
#36 of 36 Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 AM

mmace, for some reason I have linked your double drunk driving ex mentally with the dumb guy in Idaho who let his 10 yr old try to walk ten miles in the snow and she died of exposure, (the guy just drove off when he got his car unstuck and didn't check on his kid.) The police intended to charge him with murder for that.

Trust your instincts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page