homeschooling single parents? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son will be 3 next month, & I've started thinking about this. I go to school during the year (& will be for about the next five to eight years) & work during the summer. I'm not paid much. I'm on welfare much of the time. I'd like to have my son homeschooled in a few years, but just don't know how I could... either myself, or affording a tutor. I've gotten in touch with the local homeschooling association, but have never received an answer. If there are any homeschooling mamas here, how do you do it? I really want to keep him out of school for many, many reasons. Thank you.
#2 of 5 Old 03-21-2009, 04:54 AM

I'm still working it all out, but can give you a few ideas...I actually posted here a little while ago saying I was feeling a bit discouraged about my ability to balance homeschooling with everything else, but that's past!

Can you keep doing mostly what you've been doing? The main difficult issue is paying for childcare past the point where your child would be going to school. You can look into having him stay with another homeschooling family or with friends/family. Everyone has a different set of challenges and resources, so it's about getting creative to find what works.

I once saw a good piece of advice on a single parents homeschooling list - work for yourself, unschool (ie follow your kid's interests not curriculum), and create strategic alliances with other homeschoolers esp single ones.

I used to employ a nanny, and ask my parent's for childcare help sometimes...but neither of those are really suiting me right now. Getting my dd out to events and activities where she could meet other kids isn't that easy (not driving is a biggie). But I recently found this interesting school, which is a free school that is okay with me being there with her. So I'm thinking that I will bring her there, and do some of my own work there while helping them out. The women that work there are all single moms, and today we were talking about how they aren't homeschooling - they are schoolhoming -- in a way they homeschool their own and other people's kids at school! I can totally see why this works for single parents, because it means you are still with your child, but not isolated.

So I would look into finding your homeschool community and trying to create some kind of co-op arrangement. Most cities have yahoo groups for the local homeschool community, and they list lots of activities and resources that come up. Our city has 4 drop-ins and stuff like homeschool guides and scouts.

BTW, there is also a yahoo group for working and homeschooling, as well as many other types of homeschool lists. And on here there's a homeschooling discussion section. There are tons on online resources, many free. Some single parents like things like time4learning.com ($20/mo) because the curriculum is already there but the child chooses the activities, and it can be a backbone that you can add to, with trips and hands-on stuff.

A
#3 of 5 Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 PM

Here's a crazy long thread where some of us talk about how we homeschool as single parents.

My kids are 9, 7, and 5 and have never been in school. I've been a single mom for over 4 years. While I received child support initially, it's been quite awhile since I've gotten any help.

Right now I go to school (online) full time and work from home doing freelance writing and publicity. During my time as a single homeschooling mom I've also worked at a gym childcare, done babysitting, and other work at home jobs.
#4 of 5 Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 PM

I too am searching for a way to eventually homeschool my son. He is not quite 2 and I am already stressing over how I will make it work. I will most likely be in school for the next couple of years, but I really can't see how to make my degree/s work for me out of my home so that I can homeschool him, and I also can't quite understand how I will find daycare for him once he is over school age.

I currently work at a preschool for kids up to age 6, but that job will be ending this fall. I am considering trying to find a job at another preschool that takes kids up to 6 as well so that I can at least homeschool him for kindergarten and first grade while he is with me at work during the day. I realize that having him in preschool while homeschooling him is sort of contradictory, but I figure he will be getting socialization at preschool, and I will work on kindergarten/first grade academics at home if that makes sense.

FTR, my bachelors will be in Psychology, which I will finish up next spring, and I am planning to go on to grad school, although I am not really sure what I will go for. Possibly early childhood ed, or some sort of counseling. I really can't see either of those helping me to be a WAHM.

Honestly, I am feeling like it just isn't possible if you do not have a degree that you can use at home. I feel so sad to think about packing him off to public school when I was so passionate about homeschooling. I guess it all boils down to not worrying too much until you get to the point of needing to make a decision, but it is incredibly stressful to think about as a single parent.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#5 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
I once saw a good piece of advice on a single parents homeschooling list - work for yourself, unschool (ie follow your kid's interests not curriculum), and create strategic alliances with other homeschoolers esp single ones.A
That is exactly what I do though not on purpose ! Things just worked out that way... I sometimes feel "guilty" about not doing more (especially since we are unschooling so it's hard to "evaluate" what I am doing and I am an ex-academia person so I have related issues and challenges).

But I love the way you describe our lifestyle! It looks great the way you wrote it out! :

And it works for us!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page