Grants? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone purchase a "government grant kit" (approx $2 for shipping) to get money for housing, etc? Are they legitimate?

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 PM

I fell for this about a month ago. I am looking at going back to school and figured this would at least show me how to find and apply for govmt grants.

After I submitted my order (just paid the $1.98 for s&h) it sent me to a page where I received a user name and password. There was no info on what they were for, so I started reading the terms&agreements where I found out that I had subscribed to a website (I still have no idea what for) at a "low monthly fee of $39.95". I cancelled immediately (which was exceptionally easy, though, because of the 7 day free trial, so that was good) and thought that was the end of it. But early this month, I found an unknown charge for $29.95. I called the company and found out it was another monthly subscription service that I had "signed up for". Again, because I was still in the 30 day trial period, I cancelled and was refunded my money within 2 business days (they said it would take 3-10).

When I finally received the cd in the mail (about 3 weeks after the initial order), I just broke it in half and threw it away. So I don't know if there was actually anything useful on it. But I doubt it.

Sorry this was so long, but I just want to make sure that others don't make my same mistake.

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#3 of 8 Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

OH, thanks! I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience? A $12000 check sounded sooo tempting!

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#4 of 8 Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 PM

I know - too good to be true, tho.

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#5 of 8 Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
we have been warned by the financial aid office to not go for anything where you have to pay a fee.

oh and definitely. if something sounds really good you KNOW there is something somewhere up to not good.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 8 Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 PM

p.s. I get somewhere in the are of 20 spam emails a day now. blech.

#7 of 8 Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
These grant websites are a scam. They do list legitimate grants, but for 99% of them you have to be a government or school system or some other large entity to even apply. They are for public projects, not regular people.

Trust me, Uncle Sam is NOT lining up to hand out large checks to single moms! They have to save it for corporate welfare! :

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
#8 of 8 Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 AM

: sadly, they are preying on people and the information is something you can get yourself. there is a governmental grants page actually by the government and you'll find that it is mostly for businesses and soforth. i hate companies that try to charge for what is already free information. it just irks me. :

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page