Court ordered psych evaluation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any info on this? My xh was just ordered to have one done and I'm wondering what the court would be looking for. How accurate will it be if he tries to conceal information or be deceptive? He has a history of depression and taking depression meds. I've long suspected that there is more to it than just depression though. TIA for any info!
#2 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM

i imagine a lot of it will depend on how good the psychologist is. some of them can be outsmarted by their patients... and some of them are way on top of things.. it really depends. i would imagine anyone working for the courts would be pretty good.. it would be problematic if they sucked.
#3 of 9 Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 PM

BEWARE!! I just went thru a court ordered psych evaluation here in Louisiana and the whole process is a joke. Make sure you are present for the entire evaluation because the questions are vague and misleading, especially to a child (my son is fourteen, btw). I was asked to leave during his evaluation, and, while my son does suffer from depression and
ADHD, the results of his evaluation stunned me. On the day of his court date, he was required to complete another evaluation (for sentencing purposes they said) which my husband and i were present for and the questions are confusing. My advice would be to make sure and get your own evaluation done, by the doctor of your choosing, in addition to the court ordered evaluation. The court is now trying to ship my boy off to a group home for up to a year because he threatened to beat up another boy. The system will set your son up for failure...DO NOT PUT YOUR FAITH IN A COURT APPOINTED PSYCHIATRIST! If you have any other questions, i will be happy to answer them the best i can. Good luck to you
#4 of 9 Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Just for clarification, its my ex husband who has to take the test and since I'm not involved in the mess he's in, I don't get a say in what happens.
#5 of 9 Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 PM

It varies. You could get a good one who sees through your stbx... you could get one assigned who just takes whatever he says as absolute truth and that's it.

I got the second. My ex told documentable lies about me and so the court ordered psych reccommended joint/joint custody based solely on those "facts" (he admitted that in his report) and yet never checked into the veracity of the "facts". A ten minute followup visit with me could have cleared everything up and I could have produced multiple paper documentation showing that things were lies. But... it didn't happen.

Don't mind criticism. If it is untrue, disregard it; if unfair, keep from irritation; if it is ignorant, smile; if it is justified it is not criticism, learn from it.
#6 of 9 Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 PM

It really depends on the kind of Dr. you get and how they do the evaluation. I just had to pay in excess of $10,000 for the psych eval I had done and everyone assured me that the Dr. would come out and say my ex was a nutjob, but that's not what happened. Somehow he won the Dr's sympathy and she diagnosed him with PTSD which is supposed to explain all his bizarre behaviour.

As far as concealing things, in my case, I had to sign HIPAA releases to all previous doctors and therapists and I tried to cover up some childhood sexual abuse I suffered at the hands of my father b/c my kids and I currently live with my parents and that didn't go over well at all. I got caught lying, which probably also contributed to the Dr. coming down hard on me and letting my (crazy) ex off with a medical diagnosis. If he has any kindn of a record at all, the Dr will most likely find out about it.

It's always better to be up front about things rather than lie. In my case, I was assured by the one therapist I told about the SA that she would never divulge it, but then she went ahead and did it anyway. I would have been honest to begin with, but since she was the only one who knew about it, I thought it was safe to deny it.

IME, psych evals are costly and a PITA and not worth very much. The evaluator can be very biased and even if no money is exchanged, 'bought'.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#7 of 9 Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisis View Post
It really depends on the kind of Dr. you get and how they do the evaluation. I just had to pay in excess of $10,000 for the psych eval I had done and everyone assured me that the Dr. would come out and say my ex was a nutjob, but that's not what happened. Somehow he won the Dr's sympathy and she diagnosed him with PTSD which is supposed to explain all his bizarre behaviour.

As far as concealing things, in my case, I had to sign HIPAA releases to all previous doctors and therapists and I tried to cover up some childhood sexual abuse I suffered at the hands of my father b/c my kids and I currently live with my parents and that didn't go over well at all. I got caught lying, which probably also contributed to the Dr. coming down hard on me and letting my (crazy) ex off with a medical diagnosis. If he has any kindn of a record at all, the Dr will most likely find out about it.

It's always better to be up front about things rather than lie. In my case, I was assured by the one therapist I told about the SA that she would never divulge it, but then she went ahead and did it anyway. I would have been honest to begin with, but since she was the only one who knew about it, I thought it was safe to deny it.

IME, psych evals are costly and a PITA and not worth very much. The evaluator can be very biased and even if no money is exchanged, 'bought'.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm not involved in this particular legal battle with xh so I'm not having to do one, just him. I had no idea that they are so expensive.
#8 of 9 Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
It varies. You could get a good one who sees through your stbx... you could get one assigned who just takes whatever he says as absolute truth and that's it.

I got the second. My ex told documentable lies about me and so the court ordered psych reccommended joint/joint custody based solely on those "facts" (he admitted that in his report) and yet never checked into the veracity of the "facts". A ten minute followup visit with me could have cleared everything up and I could have produced multiple paper documentation showing that things were lies. But... it didn't happen.
How frustrating!!!! I'm not involved in his court case in anyway but I would so love to be able to share some of the crazy emails I've gotten over the past 2 years. I just don't see how they'll get a complete picture without talking to the person who knew him best for the past 13 years. Oh well.
#9 of 9 Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM

I am currently involved in these types of cases.

For this case, I doubt that the psychologists took sympathy with the husband as much as he/she recognized that by placing your children in the home of someone known for sexual abuse, you are unable to make decisions based on their best interest, which is unfortunate.

In response to the original post (and others), the testing is typically highly accurate and has been thoroughly researched to prove it's ability to find problems with parents ( or anyone, for that matter). These tests typically tell, with ease, if someone is trying to look too good, look too bad, lying, and faking. Unless, you have access to ( and because of copyrights, this information is not available any where online) these test protocols, learning and manipulating them is very, very difficult.

It is possible to lie to the Psychologist, but I will tell you, that I used to think it would be easy to lie to someone and get away with it; after doing the work I have realized that it isn't. People think their lies get them through and then are shocked when the psychologist makes recommendations against them because they could tell ( through training) that the person was lying. Only a terrible practitioner would take someones accusations against the other parent with face-value. The practitioners should be doing collateral interviews or requesting proof and documentation of allegations (from child protective services, medical history, etc). Interviews are important, but many significant recommendations made, come from direct observation, direct indication, or black and white proof of parent instability or inability to care for a child. It would be unethical for Dad to say" mom is beating my child", and with not other records or documentation, make the recommendation that mother lose custody of the child. That isn't how that works- nobody wants to lose their licence for doing such an unethical thing. 

It is important to know that, if your evaluation had been court ordered, you will NOT get customary doctor-patient confidentiality. You are not the "client". The court is considered the client and the psychologist is working on their behalf. This should be stated in your consent form. 

If you are undergoing a court ordered evaluation because the state thinks you may be unfit, here are some tips:
1.) Recognize why you are being seen as unfit and be cooperative and willing to change the problem. Parents that go to evaluations and think that they have nothing wrong with them are sometimes deemed incapable of changing in order to care for their child. 

2.) The 4th Amendment prevents the govt from taking your children without justifiable cause. As the evaluaters, we have records of that cause.  I have yet to see children removed from the home without justifiable cause as that would likely be a heavy lawsuit. I promise that if you approach the psychologist and say, " I don't really understand why I don't have my children but I am willing to learn and take classes, etc." They are more likely to recommend that you get your children back if you undergo supervision and parenting classes.

Custody Issues

1. The worst thing you can do is walk in to the office and talk poorly of the other parent to the receptionist or psychologist. you should certainly address your concerns, but do not do it by name calling. 

2. Even if the other parent is absolutely awful, think about whether or not you think the other parent could improve if they had assistance or help. Say that, if you think it is true. Trying to be positive looks better on you. 

I hope that helped some people that have posted here.

Holland73 and Springshowers like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page