Food stamps/childcare assistance - move - non resident? - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 4 Old 07-26-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
SeaDoula's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out some complicated stuff. I plan on moving to another state for school, Midwifery school, and I am just not sure I am going to be able to make everything work.

If I move to a new state am I not eligible to receive benefits there?

Where would I go to find this out?

My plan is to move from WA to OR.

Cortney Mama to Lyra 1-20-08 and future midwife through Birthingway College of Midwifery
SeaDoula is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 4 Old 07-26-2009, 02:03 PM
kdmama33's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Exactly Where I Need to Be
Posts: 1,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I ask why you're not staying in Seattle and going to SMS? Since it's right there and you're already established in WA?

Here's a link I found regarding residency requirements for Oregon in terms of receiving benefits. I believe you'll have to go through the application process for all of the benefits you receive all over again, and things like Section 8 and such have long waiting lists, so you'll be waiting to reestablish benefits for awhile.
kdmama33 is offline  
#3 of 4 Old 07-26-2009, 02:37 PM
meemee's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Norther California
Posts: 12,633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
check out section 8 in both states.

they are closed here in CA. not taking any applications for the past year i think.

 treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
meemee is offline  
#4 of 4 Old 07-26-2009, 02:41 PM
DogwoodFairy's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I moved from Maine to Oregon last November, and applied for benefits (food stamps, TANF, and OHP medical) within a week of arriving. My reason was essentially to force the State of OR to establish a CS order, which is automatically set in motion when a parent applies for benefits.

I had no issues with receiving any benefits. They wanted the regular documentations, of course. I told them I just moved here, am separated, need help. Shouldnt be a problem for you. Sec 8 here is closed, though there are subsidized housing units that you can sign on waiting lists for.

Good luck...what area of Oregon are you moving to?
DogwoodFairy is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 14,829

28 members and 14,801 guests
artume______ , awill , bananabee , Deborah , Dovenoir , emmy526 , hoerdb , jamesmorrow , kathymuggle , lhargrave89 , Michele123 , Mirzam , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , mumto1 , NaturallyKait , nic1231 , rocky , roguebutterfly , RollerCoasterMama , Spaces , Springshowers , temsmama , vanillaa , zannster , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.