*~*'~* August Dating Thread *~*'~* Gettin' our feet wet and doin' the 2 step! *~*'~* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ione View Post

Next time he jokes about "wanting to take you off the dating market", just say something like:

When you're ready to do more than want it, let me know and we'll talk terms.
What about saying it more like, "If you'd wanna have me all to yourself, you should know that I'm a girl that requires a lot of attention." with a playful smile....?

I don't really wanna have a 'relationsihp' talk yet. I'm still deciding about him, and while the jury's still out on my end, I don't want to accidently offer a commitment I'm not ready to make. I'd rather sort of hint that he's gonna have to 'up the ante' about how often I'd like to be in touch with him/how much attention he's gonna need to pour in m y direction, so things can heat up and heat up and maybe get to that point of exclusivity (in, like, a month or something, perhaps? I'm thinking after 2-3 more good/solid/quality chunks of time together.....?) I am going to play it by ear. I want to hint that I need attention, so he might get the clue that if he doesn't want things to fizzle and fritter away with me, he's gonna have to keep the heat on, but I'm not ready to suggest more. Then maybe by the end of August I'll be so sure about giving an exclusive thing with him a try that I'll be ready to throw down the gauntlet and suggest it or ask him if he's thought about it or whatever.... I'll see. When I'm ready to commit to it if he asks, then I'll broach it.
#62 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom View Post
What about saying it more like, "If you'd wanna have me all to yourself, you should know that I'm a girl that requires a lot of attention." with a playful smile....?
My mind is in the gutter permanently these days due to a serious lack of dancing for years but...

If a guy said something like that to me with a playful smile, I would NOT be thinking phone/txt/email contact... I'd interpret that to be a call for LOTS of wild dancing. A physical challenge involving major carnal knowledge. Right then and there on the spot.

My advice would be, given that you're not sure about that level of commitment yet and already planning on waiting, STOP WORRYING ABOUT HOW TO SAY IT NOW.

I'd bet that when the time comes to have that conversation, you'll know what needs to be said. A lot can happen between then and now.
#63 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
"Is he going to eventually be the man with the ice scraper?"

If he's over the age of, say 25, that question has to be: "Is he (already) the man with the ice scraper (even if he hasn't yet had the opportunity to scrape the ice off my car)?"

Not will he be in some unspecified future that kind of man. Way too easy to err on the side of wishful thinking when asking about some vague future... at least for me...
I think we are saying 'going to eventually be' not meaning he doesn't have to be that sort of man in the present, but just meaning that when, one day, in a hypothetical future life together, when having those types of everyday ways of expressing romance, will he do it.... since obviously on date 3 or 4 your life isn't yet intertwined enough (and it's simply not appropriate yet to intrude upon things like that, even unasked, it's a little creepy/fatal attraction in the first few weeks after meeting) to expect those types of things.

Clear as mud?

I agree with YOU, Ione. He better be that sort of man NOW, and as soon as it makes sense to start seeing those types of gestures, that's when they'd be showing up.
#64 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Butterflymom, I've got to be honest, I would not be okay to go 3.5 days with no phone calls with a guy that close. And I'm someone who needs plenty of space! Seriously, wth?

Does he know he's not going to get to exclusive status with you by acting like this?

That said, I do agree with Ione. Until you're willing to make the sort of commitment he seems to want, let it ride. I wouldn't want to inadvertantly offer more commitment either, & it's one of those things that seems like it could get a lot deeper than you really want it to right now.

And Ione, I think you hit the nail on the head with saying men over 25 should be at the ice scraper stage already.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#65 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A physical challenge involving major carnal knowledge. Right then and there on the spot.

Quote:
My advice would be, given that you're not sure about that level of commitment yet and already planning on waiting, STOP WORRYING ABOUT HOW TO SAY IT NOW. I'd bet that when the time comes to have that conversation, you'll know what needs to be said. A lot can happen between then and now. .

True 'dat. Obsession mode switched off for now......
#66 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
Butterflymom, I've got to be honest, I would not be okay to go 3.5 days with no phone calls with a guy that close. And I'm someone who needs plenty of space! Seriously, wth?
Actually we're now at 4 days no phone call. And if I hear from him tomorrow night (Friday night) I'll be shocked because I'm sure he'll go out with friends. But then again when he goes out with friends, he drinks, and when he drinks, he starts texting me or calling and saying to me the sweetest/sappiest things about wanting no other.

Quote:

Does he know he's not going to get to exclusive status with you by acting like this?

That's my whole thing! I don't want to figure out about if this should be exclusive now or at some point or ANYTHING. It's too soon. But I feel uneasy because he surely does NOT know that he's never going to arrive to exclusivity with me (which he seems to want to achieve), in this fashion. He's shooting himself in the foot and doesn't even know he has a gun in his hand. I hate that, this....stoopidness..... he's f'ing it up unwittingly but it's such a delicate thing to have to try to sort of point out for him, since he's messing it up when left alone to his own devices..... argh! I really do think that at this stage he's kinda more 'into' me than I am 'into' him but just has a totally different approach/style of how to go about this, whereas I just hate to see him fumbling things up before they even have a chance to flourish.

Quote:
That said, I do agree with Ione. Until you're willing to make the sort of commitment he seems to want, let it ride.

Exactly. I'm not gonna do anything, just go with it and see what he manages to come up with. If he fumbles it to oblivion, I may or may not wave my hands wildly and say, "Hey, you! over here! Yoohooo! You're driving down the wrong side of the road, dufus!" depending on the feeling I get from him this next visit or two together, face-to-face. Could be that I get 'over' it myself, for whatever reason, and just let him fade himself right out of my life and let that be that.
#67 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
If he's over the age of, say 25, that question has to be: "Is he (already) the man with the ice scraper (even if he hasn't yet had the opportunity to scrape the ice off my car)?"
Such a true point! He needs to already be that man in his core. It's a personality trait not just his feelings for you alone though they do influence one to do more.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#68 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
But then again when he goes out with friends, he drinks, and when he drinks, he starts texting me or calling and saying to me the sweetest/sappiest things about wanting no other.
See now, that would piss me off to no end. You (=generic guy, my not-yet-met-contender) either text/call/whatever and say that stuff to me SOBER (and tipsy too if you want--wait, no, just don't call me when you're drinking period) or forget about it. Sell it somewhere else.

I don't want a man who can only say the mushy romantic stuff when he's tipsy/drinking/otherwise not sober. And, I certainly do not want to be [insert sappy mush] to a man only when he's drunk.

Of course, my reaction is heavily colored by having an alcoholic father who would call me drunk and get all mushy about how much he loved me, missed me, how great I was, etc. until I started hanging up on him whenever he called even slightly drunk. (My parents are divorced.)

Major red button for me there. Major. Deal-breaking major.

But, everyone's mileage will vary, since no one else had to deal with my father growing up.
#69 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

#1 He's never intoxicated to the point where I would have been able to guess it, over the phone or in a message. Always sounds exactly the same as the completely sober version of himself. He doesn't seem to drink to the point of sloppy drunkenness. Which I'm glad about. He drinks to the point of loosening his tongue and not worrying about 'coming on too strong' and just blabbing his thoughts/feelings a bit more openly, but that's it.

#2 He does say similarly mushy stuff to me, sober. For sure. It's become a little joke between us about how he doesn't seem to mind saying corny little 'lines' to me as they pop up into his mind (always original, nothing he's heard elsewhere but they're still corny little one-liners of his own innovation) even though most men would shudder to come across as so sappy and un-cool. I think it's cool that he doesn't mind coming across as non-playery, sober or a bit tipsy.
#70 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 PM

I'm glad to hear that, Butterflymom.

But, like I said, it's my own personal red-button-from-childhood/early-adulthood. And, it's still a red button for me even if it doesn't apply to your GA.
#71 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Butterfly....
I'm in the 'that's not enough' camp...but it is important to note that I am a HUGE communicator and that is a "must have" thing on my list for my partner.

In my experience, when I'm really into someone and they're really into me, we both have that feeling of 'I can't wait to talk to you...text you...see you...whatever' and we both make an effort to make it happen.

If you're totally cool with the way it is...I think it's great. I understand that some people need processing time, some people need less contact, and a lot of contact isn't for everyone or isn't essential for everyone. But, it sounds like it's not totally cool with you...and I think that's perfectly fine to feel that way.

There is a guy, who won't be able to stop thinking about you and will not be able to wait 24 hours for the chance to talk to you again.
#72 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 PM

Seie...

If there's one thing I've learned from Consensual Parenting and Mediation work, it is that even at times, when things seems like they are opposite and there are no solutions that are satisfying...when you get to the root of what you really want and why, you can discover amazing possibilities and ways to have everything you want. It may or may not be with this man...it may or may not be in having another child. Only time will tell. But, I believe if you are open to creative solutions and willing to look under the surface at what it is you really want and why...you may find an answer to your question and feel relieved to see you really can have it all.

I'm wishing you some peace with this.
#73 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually we're now at 4 days no phone call.
Ok, now I would start to be bothered and irritated. 1-2 days - no problem. 3-4 days would start to shake my threshold and I would start to go a bit wonky.

Since you both connected so well and spent so much time together on your 3 dates, do you feel comfortable enough with picking up the phone and calling/texting him? Perhaps just with a "Hey, haven't heard from you in a few days... are you still alive and well? ;o)" And then see where the conversation goes from there.
#74 of 231 Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChatsAlot View Post
Butterfly....
I'm in the 'that's not enough' camp...but it is important to note that I am a HUGE communicator and that is a "must have" thing on my list for my partner.

In my experience, when I'm really into someone and they're really into me, we both have that feeling of 'I can't wait to talk to you...text you...see you...whatever' and we both make an effort to make it happen.

If you're totally cool with the way it is...I think it's great. I understand that some people need processing time, some people need less contact, and a lot of contact isn't for everyone or isn't essential for everyone. But, it sounds like it's not totally cool with you...and I think that's perfectly fine to feel that way.

There is a guy, who won't be able to stop thinking about you and will not be able to wait 24 hours for the chance to talk to you again.
Perfectly said MCA!
#75 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 AM

Butterfly - Ok -now 4 days is a lot. I would consider calling by now and probably wouldnt be all that ok with it. I would definately wonder what was going on? I'd probably call around now to figure out what was going on..

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#76 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post
Since you both connected so well and spent so much time together on your 3 dates, do you feel comfortable enough with picking up the phone and calling/texting him?

: Fraid not. I might have called him but last night, but getting ignored ended up kind of pissing me off. You see, we texted twice back and forth during the day, first him, then me, then him, then me with a question about this weekend, at 4pm, and now it's noon the next day and still no reply. He's blowing me off, ladies. I know he has his phone with him all the time and there was nothing last night keeping him occupied, he had already told me earlier in the day that he would go for a bike ride after work and then no plans to go anywhere afterwards, just staying in. Now he'll be leaving in a few hours to go to his hometown to visit old friends, etc, until he sees me on Sunday, I guess. : If he does call tonight it'll be 5 full days since he's called me, and I'm sure he won't because he'll be visiting with friends and out on the town on a friday night, I'm certain. So if I hear from him tomorrow that'll be around 6 days without a call and I'm super un-impressed. Also, this 20 hours of not responding to the question I asked him via text message just really does not fly with me. Thumbs down.

Getting my mind off him, ladies..... don't know about our sunday date. I'll think about that in a couple of days when I have to.
#77 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yup! Freeing up my aura, my thoughts, my vibe, as of .....*NOW* so I can be available to notice/find/meet that guy if he wanders across my radar.

Seie, I'm not gonna call him. I know what's going on. He's ok with leaving me dangling and he doesn't register/realize that it's going to kill things fresh outta the starting gate with me, and he goofed. : Plain and simple. It happens.
#78 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Three weeks ago, I never would have believed this. But it's so true. And it's also true that it will happen when you least expect it.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#79 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

25 hours of radio silence from his end. No texts for that amount of time, that is. Nearly 5 days without calling. But who's counting? I'm not sure whether to even consider our sunday plans 'on' or not and I'm having to figure out the logistics of that day NOW. There is a changing of the guards between me and my ex husband on sunday involved, a birthday party, transportation to/from the birthday party, and train tickets needed/not-needed, all up in the air re: sunday afternoon, and I need to figure out a plan of action ASAP. Knowing if/when the G.A. will be around with his car and what sort of transportation help he's willing to offer me and/or me & the boys would really be useful information.

Or should I just write him off as a flake who has dropped me, and make my plans assuming he's no longer involved...? :

Sigh.
#80 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 10:53 AM

This is a legitimate reason to call him on the phone to ask. Not that you should need a legitimate reason or anything...

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#81 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Honestly, I'd assume he's flaked, but like Holly said it's a good reason to call him. What a UAV.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#82 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Or should I just write him off as a flake who has dropped me, and make my plans assuming he's no longer involved...? :
Personally, I would plan as though he is no longer involved.

What a putz! : Sorry, Butterflymom.
#83 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's more important to me to hang on to some dignity and leave it be, if he is behaving this way, rather than having 'a good reason/excuse' to call him, like an eager little puppy. If he needs nothing from me/has nothing to say to me, then the sentiment is certainly mutual and I'll just plan my sunday as if our plans are off. It just feels a little weird because he really did not seem, these last 4 weeks, like the sort of person who would flake out and ditch me like this, at all. So..... I think there's more to this story than meets the eye, but .......if there isn't a darned good reason to have fallen silent last night and all today, then I think I don't care about the reasons and details.... I just want out.

It's now friday evening, 5 days since he's called, and he is wherever he's gonna be for the night (most likely has left work a couple of hours ago, and driven to his home town to hang out with his friends there, and has already commenced his friday night). He could have sent word to me about our plans, per the question I had posed to him 27 hours ago, at any point last night or all day today or this evening and he has failed to do so. Dealbreaker.
#84 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 PM

I'm sorry, Butterflymom.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#85 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 03:56 PM

Yes I would make plans without him in the picture for Sunday.....

I am not saying to write him off completely but I would plan w/o him and be like it's his lost if he tries to connect last minute.....

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#86 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 04:02 PM

Mind you, when I said a good reason to call him, I wasn't referring to a friendly little chat. I was thinking more along the lines of "Hey, UAV-boy, what's up with Sunday? You never answered my question."

But ignoring him and going on with your plans is probably a lot more dignified.

Sheesh. How are so many men flakes? I can dig needing/wanting different levels of communication, but if you make plans with someone, cancel, don't just go silent. It's a matter of honor.

#87 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

He called. Like everything is 'on' and totally blowing past the issue of 5 days no phone call and 30 hours no response to my text message.

I'm on the phone with him now. He's chattering and I'm just 'uh-huh'-ing him and being very blase.

I'm just not sure what to think or do.
#88 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM

He actually may not be flaking ladies just not communicating well..... not saying it's okay but he has not yet flaked. He is single, with no kids or reason to make advance plans and check and balance all those details in advance I know many childless friends who can touch base mere moments or hours ahead and go from there.

I am not saying Butterflymom should not make plans herself just saying let's not throw him under the bus for flaking when he has not done that yet.... the issue I still see at hand is the lack of communication which Butterflymom is unhappy with.

#89 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

So, we talked for more than an hour on the phone, and the ice eventually cooled off my jets, and I sort of enjoyed the conversation. He seemed very upbeat and even mentioned directly, "Yeah I was listening to a cheesey romantic latin song and thought of you and realized it had been awhile since we talked, so I called!" and I was kind of like, "Yeah, it's been 5 days since we talked, that's true..." in a neutral way. But didn't really say anything more about how uncool it was for him to wait 5 days to call.

Am I Gigi from "He's Just Not That Into You"? I don't wanna be! I just thought that things had heated up to a really fun, sweet, connected place and to suddenly have it dry up felt..... odd. Twilight-zone-y. 4 weeks good and then nearly one week very 'off' is just..... I dunno. I don't know what to think.
#90 of 231 Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Just take it one day at a time and enjoy the ride. I do think this 5 days showed you that a certain level of communication or lack there of (even from the beginning) can be a deal breaker for you.... Since it has had such an impact on your mood this week I think you should in a lighthearted but direct manner express your need for better / more communication.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page