Moving out soon!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I split in June 2009.

I just submitted my application for a home I want to rent. It's been such a rough road to this point. I can't believe it's been 6 months.

I am feeling so relieved that I finally get to move out of that place and live in peace and heal and make a new life for DS and I. BUT I am so freakin scared. It's so hard leaving a familiar situation where the bills are paid. I am a student midwife and won't be making good income for a few years. The fear of finances is almost crippling. What if I can't buy gas or food?????

I guess I am just posting to celebrate this big step in my life AND fret over my fear of moving out

#2 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Congratulations!

Regarding finances, there are lots of resources out there to help. Have you applied for foodstamps? You can also apply for assistance paying your utility bill. If you are working or in school, you may also qualify for assistance for childcare expenses. In some states you can choose any qualified childcare provider and have large variety of providers to choose from. I know in many places that the Sec8 housing list is closed and has a years long wait list, but I recently heard of a momma around here say that it was only a 12ish month wait list in her area. So check that out as well.

The financial aspect can be very scary, but there a lot of resources out there to help, you just have to find them. And as for having your own place from which you and your DS can heal and create a new life together, well, that is such a wonderful place to get to. Best wishes as you take this huge step towards the life you both deserve.
#3 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I am already on food stamps, WIC and my son is on medicaid. I didn't know of any help with utilities. Is this a state program? Do you have any information on this? I live in Florida.

I did look into HUD but the list is closed and has been for 10 years.

Thanks again.
#4 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
YAY! I'm on the same timeline pretty much. I made the decision in June and just moved right before Christmas. I have a good job (the primary income our whole marriage) so even though my budget it reeeeeally important, I don't have some of the same worries as you----and it's still scary!!!

Leaving the familiar, even if it sucked, is always scary. It's only really been a couple of weeks and I still find myself forgetting that I've moved. But I have to say that it's so nice! Those couple of hours after DS falls asleep are MINE.

One of the silly fun parts is setting up our new little home and our menus how *I* like it. I don't have to say "oh it would be fun, but H would never like it". It's petty and silly, but healing at the same time. It definitely falls behind food and gas, but if you can, keep an eye on freecycle or the thrift stores and nest a bit to make your rental YOURS.

Congratulations on the next big step!!
#5 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Thanks!

I am already on food stamps, WIC and my son is on medicaid. I didn't know of any help with utilities. Is this a state program? Do you have any information on this? I live in Florida.

I did look into HUD but the list is closed and has been for 10 years.

Thanks again.
My utility company gave me info on how to get assistance on paying my bill. In my area it is a local thing.

And sorry the Sec8 is closed in your area, it is like that in many places. But there are other subsidized housing options. There are HUD apartments where you pay 30% of your income towards rent, it's basically like Sec8 except that you don't get a voucher where you can choose to live. I stumbled across Sec42 (pure good luck), the rent is less than market and there are income restrictions. There is generally a wait list for them too, but in my area its much shorter than Sec8 and I got lucky to get into one with out ever being on the wait list. It was vacant for 2 months and a friend knew about the complex and called for me. He found out there was a vacancy they were anxious to fill so I went over there a few hours later and applied and moved in about 2 weeks later. This was just in October last year.

I had also applied and was offered a unit in a HUD apartment complex at the same time, but it was older and not as nice as the Sec42 I moved into. But I moved rather quickly on the HUD list (I think it was about 4-5 months). I think it helps to stay in touch with them. And the lady who takes the applications was really grateful that I had the application completely filled out the first time I went in, I tried to be completely prepared to make her job easier.

I know you don't have time to wait on a wait list before you move out, but if I were in your position I would still go apply, get on whatever lists you can because if you can get into a place where your rent is easily affordable it will make a huge difference in the amount of stress in your life post DH.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page